Advertisement

Captain Marvel #2 (Something about butterflies Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Captain Marvel #2 (Something about butterflies Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:57 am

It turns out that this issue’s Rosie The Riveter cover homage is not just homage for the sake of it, as Captain Marvel accidentally travels back to WW2 and teams up with a bunch of female pilots from the era. I really liked this issue, it was an improvement over #1 and the character of Carol Danvers just gets more and more interesting to me thanks to DeConnick’s take on her. I loved her inner monologue when she started to realise that this was time-travel and that she couldn’t remember what the protocols for time-travel were. In a way, she’s coming across as an everyman (or everywoman) character who has these powers and mainly wants to use them for simple things like punching and flying, not getting involved in complicated time-travel. And that’s very much in evidence at the end of the issue when she decides to forget all about the butterflies or whatever and just fight the spaceships that show up. I wonder if this is part of an almost meta-attempt at bumping Captain Marvel up to the A-List of heroes, have her travel back in time and retroactively make her a golden age legend! I’m probably over-thinking it. Dexter Soy’s art is growing on me, although the contrast between his style and McGuinness’ covers is still jarring. This was another strong issue of a promising title, I’m very glad Avenging Spider-Man convinced me to check it out, and you should too.

Advertisement

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Re: Captain Marvel #2 (Something about butterflies Spoilers)

Postby MistaT » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:11 pm

Not a fan of having her travel back in time. I would rather DeConnick would concentrate on setting her up in the present with some real threats and enemy's. One of her biggest weaknesses (IMO) has always been her lack of some decent antagonists.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand