Advertisement

Avengers Vs X-Men #10 (First ever usage Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Avengers Vs X-Men #10 (First ever usage Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:10 am

AvX is back in gear! After a few less than stellar instalments, this one was back to the brilliant summer event blockbuster feel of the first few, and was just great stuff. The main story was Cyclops, now with 4/5ths of the Phoenix Force, heading to K’Un Lun to try and get hope back. This was a really enjoyable fight, with some classic, ‘HOLY SHIT’ moments, in particular ‘How’s that for clobbering time?’ and then Hope flying in on a dragon and then stealing his power and then doing a ‘chaos punch’ and then and then and then and then… This story basically reduces me back to my childhood where I just sat back and enjoyed stuff without really thinking about it (insert ‘you don’t think about things now!’ joke here). Kubert’s art was awesome, and basically, this issue was event comics done right. I can’t wait for #11 and #12 to see just how explosive this ending can get.

Advertisement

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 7 posts

Re: Avengers Vs X-Men #10 (First ever usage Spoilers)

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:32 am

Seeing Summers get his ass smacked back to the stone age ( well, the moon, but you know what I mean)? Priceless!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 26 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:36 am

Punchy wrote:AvX is back in gear! After a few less than stellar instalments, this one was back to the brilliant summer event blockbuster feel of the first few, and was just great stuff. The main story was Cyclops, now with 4/5ths of the Phoenix Force, heading to K’Un Lun to try and get hope back. This was a really enjoyable fight, with some classic, ‘HOLY SHIT’ moments, in particular ‘How’s that for clobbering time?’ and then Hope flying in on a dragon and then stealing his power and then doing a ‘chaos punch’ and then and then and then and then… This story basically reduces me back to my childhood where I just sat back and enjoyed stuff without really thinking about it (insert ‘you don’t think about things now!’ joke here). Kubert’s art was awesome, and basically, this issue was event comics done right. I can’t wait for #11 and #12 to see just how explosive this ending can get.

I thought British schools taught people better math than this? Two people sharing the entirety of the Phoenix force equals 2.5/5ths (or 50%) over here in the States.

And you're right, it is better to be brainless when reading this issue, otherwise one might question....

Cap crying? Huh?

The muties being forced to love Emma and Magneto taking 'forevah' to realize he fucked up - comical.

Thor, Thing & Hawkeye (standing altogether instead of in flanking positions) taking the time to announce their intention to attack Cyclops (thereby giving Cyclops the opportunity to strike first) - stupidity.

The Thunderer dude talking about honor to Cyclops after he literally just attacked him from behind - dishonorable.

Cap & company arriving mere seconds after Cyclops is sent packing - convenient.

Cap exclaiming "MY GOD" when looking at Tony, Wanda, Hank & Hope (who's appearance don't really merit a "MY GOD" comment imo - however upon closer examination, Tony's helmet does instantly disappear from one panel to the next, not to mention that Hank & Wanda mysteriously switch positions, so maybe Cap's god did have something to do with it).

Lastly, while it's not part of your review, the digital extra for this extra was a laugh riot.

First - Tony gushes all over his thought projection device (when Reed Richards built one in FF # 27 back in 1964).

Again - further proof that Reed Richards being written out of this event is just ridiculous.

And then Tony adds that it can read into possible timelines (why Tony 'futurist' Stark can't just do this himself is never explained).

Nice to see Storm, Magneto, and the assorted other nazi youth still stand by Cyclops in the nearing future (despite some of them having already concluded that Cyclops is the dick in all this).

And Wanda has so completely and utterly forgotten about Hope? She can think of Deadpool (someone she's probably truly never heard of, yet she forgets the very person that this whole event has basically been about? Waid should be much better than this.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In conclusion - I guess I just like using my brain when reading comics because you make this issue sound like it would be a lot better if I didn't.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:38 am

I'm pretty sure Cyclops took all of Magik and Colossus' piece of the Phoenix Force, Emma doesn't have it.

You really are nitpicking, seriously, relax.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:58 am

Punchy wrote:I'm pretty sure Cyclops took all of Magik and Colossus' piece of the Phoenix Force, Emma doesn't have it.

You really are nitpicking, seriously, relax.

Damn - I guess I'm too smart to just sit "back and enjoy stuff without really thinking about it".

Unlike you. :P

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:00 pm

Amoebas wrote:Damn - I guess I'm too smart to just sit "back and enjoy stuff without really thinking about it".

Unlike you. :P

Why can't you just enjoy something? It's Avengers Vs X-Men, it should be fun.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Punchy wrote:
Why can't you just enjoy something? It's Avengers Vs X-Men, it should be fun.

It should be, but instead it's lazy storytelling that sacrifices characterization in order to give you the impression you're reading something exciting.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:13 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
It should be, but instead it's lazy storytelling that sacrifices characterization in order to give you the impression you're reading something exciting.

Like what?

Most of the 'out of character' bits can be explained by the corrupting effects of the Phoenix Force. I can't think of any characters who are't possessed by the Phoenix who are acting out of character.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:16 pm

Punchy wrote:
Like what?

Most of the 'out of character' bits can be explained by the corrupting effects of the Phoenix Force. I can't think of any characters who are't possessed by the Phoenix who are acting out of character.

Captain America has been acting like a fucking nazi from the start. Is he possessed by the phoenix force?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:19 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Captain America has been acting like a fucking nazi from the start. Is he possessed by the phoenix force?

...Yes :P

I don't think Cap has been acting out of character myself.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Weird triple post
Last edited by Amoebas on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:32 pm

Weird double post
Last edited by Amoebas on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:34 pm

Punchy wrote:
...Yes :P

I don't think Cap has been acting out of character myself.

Just from this issue...

How about Angel or Sunspot? Emma Frost can now pick up a random thought buried deep inside some regular Joe Public's subconscious from hundreds/thousands of miles away and willingly murders him for it, yet only Cannonball has an open anti-Emma thought about her. In your mind (which you admit you didn't use) the others must truly love the bitch then.

My aforementioned sudden lack of any combat knowledge between the likes of Thor, Hawkeye & the Thing.

Captain America and his crew leaving the depowered Rasputins behind in a the remote frozen fields (because they certainly wouldn't have any information worth obtaining or have their bodies examined for clues on how to defeat Cydick.

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:05 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:

You and I obviously differ on the defination of "Nazi". Yeesh.

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:07 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:

Personally, I think they nailed Cyclops' character to a tee. His transformation from simple wife-cheating douchebag into full blown super villain is complete.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand