Advertisement

Daredevil #17 Review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 203 posts

Daredevil #17 Review

Postby LOLtron » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Daredevil #17 Review

GLX gives his take on Daredevil #17.

Writer - Mark Waid
Artist - Mike Allred
Colorist - Laura Allred

The last time that I bought a Daredevil comic was during Daredevil: Reborn. It was the end of an era of gritty tales that the character found himself in. Then, Mark Waid joined the title and his scripts were brought to life by talented artists such as Paolo Rivera and Chris Samnee. Unfortunately, my interest in the character and a small budget kept me from even trying the title. I managed to find a little bit of room in my budget for this week's Daredevil #17, as it was a done-in-one with art by Mike Allred. While I'm not going to be adding Daredevil to my pull list any time soon, I can't say that I had a bad time with this comic.

The script is entertaining and moves the action along at a steady pace. Waid's characters play off one another well and the conversations between Matt and Foggy ring true. One of the problems with the comic is that the conflict between Pasko and Fortknight is shallow. The conflict acts more as a means to add depth to Matt and Foggy's relationship than a plot thread that not only enhances other parts of the comic, but also gives the reader interest into how the conflict is resolved. Without spoiling the comic, the twist near the end of the issue does a wonderful job of meshing the importance of the tale with Daredevil's present.

Allred's art really makes this comic work. He tackles the action scenes and the emotional scenes with equal care and skill with ease. The characters feel real not through realism, but through energy and consistency given top priority under Allred's hand. His creative and functional layouts enhance the comic in ways that the average artist would be unable to do.  There are moments in the comic in which the script and the art come together to create something splendid. Laura Allred contributes the colors to her husband's work, which gives the comic a fun and exciting pop to the comic.

Due to budget reasons, it is highly unlikely that I will buy this series on a regular basis; however, that does not mean that I did not have a good time. Waid's writing is entertaining and the Allreds' work elevates what was an already solid tale. Daredevil #17 is worth a look for Daredevil fans and people who are just looking for a fun comic to read.

7.6* out of 10*

Written or Contributed by GLX

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Daredevil #17 Review

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 am

Michael Allred joins Mark Waid for an ‘Untold Tale of Daredevil’. Matt is moping around after Foggy discovering the remains of his father, and he reminisces back to a previous time the two of them fought, and how they patched things up. What follows is a hugely entertaining romp that features Daredevil fighting The Stilt-Man. Allred draws the hell out of this issue, he’s the perfect fit for the old-fashioned tone of this book, and I just had a big grin on my face the whole time. He even made Stilt-Man look good! Big props should also go out to colourist Laura Allred, who nailed the red and black nature of Daredevil’s costume, it hasn’t looked that good since Wally Wood and I don’t know why most colourists just make the costume straight up red. Of course, this issue was more than just Daredevil Vs Stilt-Man, it ended in a very poignant way as Foggy provides a method for Matt to see his father’s final, fateful Boxing Match, which was just a great moment. Waid makes sure to tease that there’s more to the story of Pasko and his invention, I really hope the Allred’s come back to do the next part of it. This was a great little palate cleanser after the darkness of last issue’s ending, a reminder of simpler times I guess, but really this one was all about the art, this book just looked superb.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 297 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:31 pm

A really good and fun issue (with some damn nice artwork).

However, I was taken out of the story however by the plot around Stiltman's attack...

First he bursts into the Nelson-Murdock law office (something he's done before back '66 & '69 (DD #27 & 48)) and throws Foggy out the window in order to kill him.

Yet the twist is that Stilman is just a distraction and that the real plan is for Foggy (who after plumetting 23 stories to his death) is to be knifed in the street (which could have simply been without the whole Stiltman thing and just have the knifer wait for Foggy to leave work for the day)).

Waid should be better than this.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:38 pm

Amoebas wrote:A really good and fun issue (with some damn nice artwork).

However, I was taken out of the story however by the plot around Stiltman's attack...

First he bursts into the Nelson-Murdock law office (something he's done before back '66 & '69 (DD #27 & 48)) and throws Foggy out the window in order to kill him.

Yet the twist is that Stilman is just a distraction and that the real plan is for Foggy (who after plumetting 23 stories to his death) is to be knifed in the street (which could have simply been without the whole Stiltman thing and just have the knifer wait for Foggy to leave work for the day)).

Waid should be better than this.

I think the knife-attacker was there to sneak in and steal the video-tape and the other documents after the distraction, not kill Foggy, he was just adjusting to Foggy not being dead.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 297 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Punchy wrote:
I think the knife-attacker was there to sneak in and steal the video-tape and the other documents after the distraction, not kill Foggy, he was just adjusting to Foggy not being dead.

Knifing Foggy in public and in broad daylight is how he adjust to the plan? And even if killing Foggy wasn't part of Stiltman's plan, he still stole the videotape and documents that you say the other guy was there to steal.

C'mon Punchy - this isn't nit-picking. This is just pure nonsense on Waid's part.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Good review, Daredevil's never been for me but it's nice to see the book doing well for so long.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand