Advertisement

Uncanny X-Force #29 Review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Bass

Liked in: 63 posts

Re: Uncanny X-Force #29 Review

Postby The Bass » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:02 pm

Excuse me, I work in a comic shop, I get Diamond's information sent directly to me. I know when a book replaces its artists.

I don't have a problem with rotating artists. Rotating implies the artist is coming BACK. Opena = GONE, Ribic = Gone, and in their place, we have horrific art from Tocchini, and this new guy who I've never heard of.

Advertisement

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:06 pm

The Bass wrote:Excuse me, I work in a comic shop, I get Diamond's information sent directly to me. I know when a book replaces its artists.

I don't have a problem with rotating artists. Rotating implies the artist is coming BACK. Opena = GONE, Ribic = Gone, and in their place, we have horrific art from Tocchini, and this new guy who I've never heard of.

Tocchini was on for ONE arc, and then he was GONE.

And never hearing of an artist is not a valid reason for hating them or the book now.. :?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:06 pm

doombug wrote:I know I can't be the only one bothered by the hinted at Wolverine/Psylocke romance?

Just feels off for both characters in my opinion. :smt102

I actually think it's a pretty perfect pairing.

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Holland Oats wrote:
Tocchini was on for ONE arc, and then he was GONE.

And never hearing of an artist is not a valid reason for hating them or the book now.. :?

In my book, not knowing who a creative team is the number one reason I don't buy more books. Marvel, DC or indy, if i'm not familiar wit the the creators, I don't waste money. Remender is good, but the constant art changes since they junked Opena are a constant red flag with this book.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:26 pm

That's bizarre, but it's your money. :smt102

If I didn't read anything unless I recognized the creators, I would be missing out on a A LOT of great comics. Some even from guys who would go on to become some of the biggest names in comics right now like Ed Brubaker or Jason Aaron.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:27 pm

How did you ever even find out who Jerome Opena was? You surely had to have bought a book with him on art without knowing who he was at some point.

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:31 pm

He did the first five issues of Punisher with Remender. Which are very good, and I but every issue of Punisher anyway. (He was replaced in favour of Tang Eng Huat, another unforgiveable misstep)

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Chris » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:33 pm

I don't think Opena is a timely artist.

GREAT artist. But he's slow. This was evident even back on Fear Agent. I'm glad UXF didn't stick with him alone on art.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 236 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:37 pm

Holland Oats wrote:I don't think Opena is a timely artist.

GREAT artist. But he's slow. This was evident even back on Fear Agent. I'm glad UXF didn't stick with him alone on art.

Listen Chris, he works in a comic shop. That means he knows better than us about the difference between moving an artist off a book and firing them. :lol:

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 416 posts

Postby GHERU » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:33 pm

why are people still surprised by this?

he works in a comic book store and never heard of Tony Bedard up until recently
doesn't know what "fired" means
thinks Batwoman was the flagship character of DC
never reads books by people he never heard of or were indy stars...except for the fact that 90% of all mainstream writers started off on the indy circuit, including Bendis, Morrison, and Remender - so by definition he should never have read them and will never read another comic once the current crop of writers retire...
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 416 posts

Postby GHERU » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:37 pm

why are people still surprised by this?

never reads books by people he never heard of or were indy stars...except for the fact that 90% of all mainstream writers started off on the indy circuit, including Bendis, Morrison, and Remender - so by definition he should never have read them and will never read another comic once the current crop of writers retire...
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:45 pm

From iFanboy in March, with some spot-on predictions at the end:

Have you ever been a big fan of a certain artist that most everyone else you knew never heard of? I’m not talking esoteric underground artists, but the artists already working in the mainstream that, for some reason or another, haven’t got their due. For years I felt that way towards Sean Murphy until he finally started getting his due with Joe The Barbarian, and now there’s another artist who’s taken his place in role of under-estimated artist: Julian Totino Tedesco.
You’ve seen the Argentinean artist’s work, but you may not have put a name to it; he’s done covers for all of Marvel’s Season One books as well as the recent John Carter of Mars series the publisher has done. He’s done a couple issues for Marvel like last month’s Venom #13.3, but that was far from the right platform to get his due. What made him stick with me was his art on two series: Boom!’s Unthinkable and the overlooked graphic novel Rift Raiders. The latter especially showed the artist in full control of his abilities, with the writer, Mark Sable, specifically writing the series as to best take advantage of the skills Tedesco had shown in his previous work. Since then he was snapped up by Marvel, but has primarily been, as I said, a cover artist. It’s rumored he worked on a larger project at Marvel that’s been held up with red tape and may never be published, but it’s only a matter of time before Tedesco is given the chance to grab people. Remember how artists like David LaFuente and Sara Pichelli became ‘overnight sensations’ when put on a big book? That’s Tedesco, just waiting for the chance.
Tedesco would be tailor-made for a stint on Ultimate Comics Spider-Man like the aforementioned LaFuente or Pichelli, but as a fan I’d love to see him join up with Rick Remender on Uncanny X-Force. If anyone could step into the artistic legacy Jerome Opeña put out there, Tedesco could do it. I’d bet money on it. Here’s a sample of his work to get your mind reeling.

http://ifanboy.com/articles/ifanboy-ups ... o-tedesco/

I bet Marvel has big plans for Mr Tedesco.

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:48 pm

Presumably "big plans" don't be the third string X-Men book, so he's going to be off that pretty quickly too.

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:53 pm

GHERU wrote:why are people still surprised by this?

What is this obsession you have with my thing over DC's "flagship book". Get this. in a conversation with my boss, he said that, given that DC had NAMED THE COMPANY after Detective Comics, he felt that the book should always be treated as the flagship book of the company. I thought this was pretty accurate, given the murderers row of talent on the book the last few years. This was UNTIL, they fired Snyder off the book, fired Jock, and replaced them with TONY FUCKING DANIELS.

And yes, I do know the definition of "fired". Jock was working, for DC, on Detective Comics. Now he's not, and I don't see him working on anything right now, despite DC having 52 books. If that's not "we no longer require your services", I don't know what is. Prove me wrong. Show me the DC book he's working on right now.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:57 pm

The Bass wrote:
What is this obsession you have with my thing over DC's "flagship book". Get this. in a conversation with my boss, he said that, given that DC had NAMED THE COMPANY after Detective Comics, he felt that the book should always be treated as the flagship book of the company. I thought this was pretty accurate, given the murderers row of talent on the book the last few years. This was UNTIL, they fired Snyder off the book, fired Jock, and replaced them with TONY FUCKING DANIELS.

And yes, I do know the definition of "fired". Jock was working, for DC, on Detective Comics. Now he's not, and I don't see him working on anything right now, despite DC having 52 books. If that's not "we no longer require your services", I don't know what is. Prove me wrong. Show me the DC book he's working on right now.

He's doing the back up story in Batman #13-16.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand