Advertisement

Amazing Spider-Man #692 *Spoilers*

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Amazing Spider-Man #692 *Spoilers*

Postby Zechs » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Alas no Hobgoblin sightings this issue. But some fella named Alpha gets introduced in this issue. I think you all might have heard of him?

There are three stories within the issue it being Spider-Man's 50th Anniversary. The first is all about Alpha and how pretty much young Andrew became a hero reminiscent of how Pete became Spidey. Just that well.. no tragedy has befallen him YET. He has his own MJ (or Gwen) and Flash in his life though. AGAIN.. no tragedy. Though don't worry about that given at the end of the issue the Jackal has decided to target the lad.

I'm kind of liking the fact that for once we have a villain who isn't Norman or Eddie being able to target Pete's personal life. I'm curious to how the Jackal will muck things up and AGAIN they tease with the Jackal comes well you know what. The word we cannot say... in Marvel anymore.. clones.

As for Alpha he isn't likeable and I think that's the point. He's Pete without the tragedy to define him. He's a careless kid who has these powers that are going to mess up his life since there's no responsibility with the great power he has.

The only real juicy details on the Parker front is again Slott teases us with MJ and Pete hooking up again with May and Jonah Sr. oddly enough thinking their an item. I really only enjoyed the Peter parts of it though and Alpha stealing the Thing's catch phrase. You know the whole Alpha experience is a ticking time bomb now so I'm curious what the pay off will be with it.

"Spider-Man for a Night" takes place in the past.. like during Amazing Spider-Man #50 with a blundering burglar stumbling onto Pete's discarded suit. A fun amusing tale though nothing memorable for me.

The other story again is pretty meh. I guess they're saving the better stories for #700.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Amazing Spider-Man #692 *Spoilers*

Postby Punchy » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:02 am

Spider-Man celebrates his 50th Birthday in style, with an issue that manages to both move things forward and also pay a lot of respect to what’s gone before. The main story here is of course the debut of ‘Alpha’, Spider-Man’s brand new sidekick. The parallels between his origin and Spider-Man’s are obvious, and there’s a lot of fun spotting the references and nods to Amazing Fantasy #15 here. Andy Maguire is an outcast high-school student who attends a scientific display and is transformed into a superhero. It’s a very clever idea to have Peter Parker in his new role as a super-scientist cause a very similar accident to the one that he suffered, and it’s another great addition to the classic idea of power and responsibility. I also loved how self-aware Slott seems about the fan reaction to Alpha, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of those quotes calling him a ‘Poochie’ came directly from The Outhouse or other forums! I personally don’t mind the character, as I don’t think he’ll be around for too long, and I just think the idea is so perfect for an anniversary issue like this one, allowing Slott to do some indirect nostalgia, but also, as I said, to do something new and demonstrate how much the character of Spider-Man has grown, from a nerdy teenager and hated vigilante, to a respected scientist and Avenger. The other stories in this issue are also solid, Dean Haspiel writes and draws a fun ‘between the panels’ story from way back in ASM #50 and Josha Hale Fialkov delivers a ‘day in the life’ that has plenty of the typical Parker Luck. So, Happy 50th to our friendly Neighbourhood Wallcrawler, and let’s hope the upcoming 700th issue party is just as fun! Spider-Man’s getting greedy with these anniversary issues, what is he, the Queen?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 562 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:33 am

The idea of recreating Spidey's origin was a good move and most ofg the writing worked well. But Ramos is like finger nails on a chalkboard.

And yeah, tragedy will soon find Alpha. That he doesn't hide his identity is the tell.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:26 am

I know I'm cheap, but six bucks??? Yeah, too rich for my blood.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 788 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Zechs wrote:I'm kind of liking the fact that for once we have a villain who isn't Norman or Eddie being able to target Pete's personal life. I'm curious to how the Jackal will muck things up and AGAIN they tease with the Jackal comes well you know what. The word we cannot say... in Marvel anymore.. clones.

Haha Zechs likes the Jackal.

Zechs wrote:I really only enjoyed the Peter parts

Ew.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 429 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Amoebas wrote:The idea of recreating Spidey's origin was a good move and most ofg the writing worked well. But Ramos is like finger nails on a chalkboard.

And yeah, tragedy will soon find Alpha. That he doesn't hide his identity is the tell.

I am all for the Jackal or Kingsley beating Alpha with a crowbar and then blowing him up. It's almost like Marvel decided to bring back the Sentry and combine his new origin with that of Spiderman's.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 429 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Zechs wrote:Alas no Hobgoblin sightings this issue. But some fella named Alpha gets introduced in this issue. I think you all might have heard of him?

There are three stories within the issue it being Spider-Man's 50th Anniversary. The first is all about Alpha and how pretty much young Andrew became a hero reminiscent of how Pete became Spidey. Just that well.. no tragedy has befallen him YET. He has his own MJ (or Gwen) and Flash in his life though. AGAIN.. no tragedy. Though don't worry about that given at the end of the issue the Jackal has decided to target the lad.

I'm kind of liking the fact that for once we have a villain who isn't Norman or Eddie being able to target Pete's personal life. I'm curious to how the Jackal will muck things up and AGAIN they tease with the Jackal comes well you know what. The word we cannot say... in Marvel anymore.. clones.

As for Alpha he isn't likeable and I think that's the point. He's Pete without the tragedy to define him. He's a careless kid who has these powers that are going to mess up his life since there's no responsibility with the great power he has.

The only real juicy details on the Parker front is again Slott teases us with MJ and Pete hooking up again with May and Jonah Sr. oddly enough thinking their an item. I really only enjoyed the Peter parts of it though and Alpha stealing the Thing's catch phrase. You know the whole Alpha experience is a ticking time bomb now so I'm curious what the pay off will be with it.

"Spider-Man for a Night" takes place in the past.. like during Amazing Spider-Man #50 with a blundering burglar stumbling onto Pete's discarded suit. A fun amusing tale though nothing memorable for me.

The other story again is pretty meh. I guess they're saving the better stories for #700.

I honest to god swear that Alpha is the Sentry's bastard child in this issue as he is almost as annoying.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 619 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:40 pm

alaska1125 wrote:I know I'm cheap, but six bucks??? Yeah, too rich for my blood.

you're paying what 2 bucks more for 2 more stories??

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand