Advertisement

The Unwritten #40 (Suitcase Nuke Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

The Unwritten #40 (Suitcase Nuke Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:57 am

The final chapter of ‘The Wound’ and after what seems like forever, we finally get to see Tom Taylor again! And wasn’t it just like Carey to not have him come on to rapturous applause, but in a more low-key way. You build and build the anticipation, and flip the reader’s expectations, clever stuff. This issue felt to me like the culmination of a lot of what’s gone before, a greatest hits, as well as a real movement to the next phase of the story. So along with appearances from many of the books that have been most important to the story, like Moby Dick, Jud Suss and Willowbank Tales, new characters like Didge and Danny also get starring roles. Carey and Gross also draw a line under the ‘Cult Of Tommy’ as Tom outwits Lucas Filby and manages to do so in a way that avoids more people thinking he’s some kind of a messiah. I was also pleased to see that my prediction about Didge, that she was dyslexic, was correct, she’s a very interesting character, I hope she sticks around, although I’m not so keen on the Unicorn. This was a very solid arc, it managed to keep a fair amount of the epic scale of the ‘War Of Words’, but it also took a step back, and refocused the series in an interesting way. It was both a nice palate cleanser and a continuation in tone, I can’t wait for what’s next.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand