Advertisement

Green Lantern Annual #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 282 posts
Title: Self Important

Green Lantern Annual #1

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:12 pm

Wow, I haven't been reading GL for the last year but...did it really all lead up to this steaming pile of shit? What happened to the Johns that wrote Flash or to a lesser extent rebirth...my god.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 166 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Green Lantern Annual #1

Postby nietoperz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Johns' quality control is all shot to shit now. The last good thing he wrote was the first twelve issues of Booster Gold, and that was a while ago now.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:36 pm

I picked this up on a whim, so forgive me for asking this question if it was explained more clearly elsewhere:

Is the Third Army just in existence to wipe out the Lantern Corps, or is it to turn everybody in the universe into a mouthless zombie with no will, by the process of assimilation?

I'm trying to not be hard on Johns, because everyone goes through slumps. But seriously. If the answer to either of those questions is "yes," and obviously there is, then what is the difference between this and Blackest Night? Mindless Zombie vs. Dead Zombie?

I realize that Johns is basically saying the Guardians have lost their damn minds. But I hate "collective insanity," and if they're not insane, the Guardians know damn well that the universe is a big freaking place and that this plan is ridiculous.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 166 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:46 pm

AFAIK the answer to both of those questions is 'yes.'

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:50 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote: But seriously. If the answer to either of those questions is "yes," and obviously there is, then what is the difference between this and Blackest Night? Mindless Zombie vs. Dead Zombie?

That could be an upcoming point that hopefully someone will throw in toe Guardians' faces. And I suspect the long-hidden group of Guardians may have more story time later as well.

At least the "Let me out" word balloons we've seen before make sense now :P
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:52 pm

nietoperz wrote:AFAIK the answer to both of those questions is 'yes.'

It's sad that Johns doesn't even realize how stale he's gotten on Green Lantern.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:57 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
That could be an upcoming point that hopefully someone will throw in toe Guardians' faces. And I suspect the long-hidden group of Guardians may have more story time later as well.

At least the "Let me out" word balloons we've seen before make sense now :P

Unless someone comes onto the boards and flat-out raves about this, I'll be sitting this one out.

I think I've done pretty well by my "no bashing just for the sake of bashing" rule. I haven't been reading GL since War of the Green Lanterns started, so hopefully those who have will see some payoff for their reading.

For me...just felt like same old, same old.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 170 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:08 pm

I just want the whole Guardians are pricks and evil story-line to be over. I thought Blackest Night be the one where we'd be rid of the smurfs.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Like I said, I haven't been reading but seriously "the first lantern"? Truly, Truly awful.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 129 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:51 pm

Ok, I haven't read this or GL#12 yet. I'm getting the feeling I should save my money. Is it really that bad???

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:37 pm

alaska1125 wrote:Ok, I haven't read this or GL#12 yet. I'm getting the feeling I should save my money. Is it really that bad???

The Guardians decide that free will is the enemy that they have to fight against so they create a zombie out of their flesh. The zombie can duplicate himself by touching another sentient being. And they kill Jordan and Sinestro.

I should be loving that last part but the whole thing is so ludicrous that I feel sorry for anyone who wasted money on this.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 129 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Dragavon wrote:The Guardians decide that free will is the enemy that they have to fight against so they create a zombie out of their flesh. The zombie can duplicate himself by touching another sentient being. And they kill Jordan and Sinestro.

I should be loving that last part but the whole thing is so ludicrous that I feel sorry for anyone who wasted money on this.

Uh...that sounds...yuck?

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:54 pm

alaska1125 wrote:
Uh...that sounds...yuck?

It's just plain stupid.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Dragavon wrote:The Guardians decide that free will is the enemy that they have to fight against so they create a zombie out of their flesh. The zombie can duplicate himself by touching another sentient being. And they kill Jordan and Sinestro.

You left out the part where they power black hand/glove/lantern???? with enough juice to suck hal and sinestro into "limbo"

- Les Paul

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 16 posts

Green Lantern Annual #1

Postby UnionJack » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Gave all the Lantern titles 4 issues before I dropped them - sounds like I haven't missed much.
To be fair, had gone off all GL stuff a while ago - too much dismemberment, exploding heads & general bloodletting. Not what I want in to see in GL. The DCNU brought with it a further drop in quality (pretty much ditto across the board except for All-Star Western, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Demon Knights & some of the Bat-Titles, IMHO) which gave me a nudge to stop buying out of habit. Haven't missed them.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand