Advertisement

Green Lantern Corps #0 (Harold Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Green Lantern Corps #0 (Harold Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:27 pm

This issue was a welcome origin story for Guy Gardner. Over the last few years we’ve seen Hal’s origin like 6 times, and GL: New Guardians #1 showed Kyle’s again, so it’s high time Guy or John got the spotlight. I must admit I’m not really familiar with Guy’s old, pre-Flashpoint origin, so I don’t know if this was very similar or a terrible betrayal, but what I read made good sense. Guy as a member of a family of cops who lost his badge is a great motivation for joining the Green Lantern Corps, they are the Police Force he can use to impress his dad. It is pretty lame how his brothers and sisters both have names beginning with G though, although I suppose ‘Gerard’ is a reference to Gerard Jones, which is a nice tribute. I also liked how Tomasi used Guy’s Baltimore roots to pay a little tribute to The Wire, with a crime happening on the corner of ‘McNulty and Simon’. Tomasi continues to write Guy’s character perfectly, he’s a brash blowhard asshole who in the end is the most heroic of all, and it was a lot of fun seeing his origins and spending an issue of GLC without a bunch if Alpha Lanterns or Guardians messing things up. This was the best issue of this title in a while really.

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Re: Green Lantern Corps #0 (Harold Spoilers)

Postby Draco x » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:40 pm

Punchy wrote:This issue was a welcome origin story for Guy Gardner. Over the last few years we’ve seen Hal’s origin like 6 times, and GL: New Guardians #1 showed Kyle’s again, so it’s high time Guy or John got the spotlight. I must admit I’m not really familiar with Guy’s old, pre-Flashpoint origin, so I don’t know if this was very similar or a terrible betrayal, but what I read made good sense. Guy as a member of a family of cops who lost his badge is a great motivation for joining the Green Lantern Corps, they are the Police Force he can use to impress his dad. It is pretty lame how his brothers and sisters both have names beginning with G though, although I suppose ‘Gerard’ is a reference to Gerard Jones, which is a nice tribute. I also liked how Tomasi used Guy’s Baltimore roots to pay a little tribute to The Wire, with a crime happening on the corner of ‘McNulty and Simon’. Tomasi continues to write Guy’s character perfectly, he’s a brash blowhard asshole who in the end is the most heroic of all, and it was a lot of fun seeing his origins and spending an issue of GLC without a bunch if Alpha Lanterns or Guardians messing things up. This was the best issue of this title in a while really.

Sounds interesting enough to pick up.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand