Advertisement

Wolverine & The X-Men #17 AKA Comic of the Year 2012

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Wolverine & The X-Men #17 AKA Comic of the Year 2012

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:06 am

So this is basically what a Doop comic would be like every month. Amazing guest stars, plentiful violence, and beautiful art. Such a breath of fresh air after the AvX crossover issues, anyone not reading WatX-M(?) is missing a real treat of a comic.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Wolverine & The X-Men #17 AKA Comic of the Year 2012

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:08 am

Dooooooooooooooooooooooop

Agent Panic
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Stranger Danger

Postby Agent Panic » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:58 am

I really don't like Wolverine and the X-men. It's kind of weak and I'm not mesmerized by it.

But I checked this out because it was a Doop issue by Allred. I was not disappointed, it was awesome. If Allred stood on this book, it could be amazing. It really seems to fit the tone well.
Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is?
It's fear.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:24 am

I enjoyed this issue quite a bit, because while I take the medium of comic books seriously, I don't take every issue ever published seriously.

There are great times to run stories like these, fun issues, character spotlight issues, issues that bring to mind a feeling that, at the end of the day, these are comic books, that Doop can know Howard the Duck and Sabretooth and Charles Xavier's ancestors.

An issue like this is simply a great reminder that comic books can be...anything. They can take any form. And as long as the creators actually care about the concept that they're working with, have trust in each other, they can take a character like Doop, who is pretty much cult favorite, and turn in one of the most interesting stories I've read in 30 some years.

This issue could very well be the best issue of the year of anything I've read. And that is a testament to not just Jason Aaron and Mike Allred, but to the medium itself, which can take many forms.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:28 am

other than the headache i gave my self trying to decode Doop-speak while reading this on my iPad, loved it. but hen, i've loved every issue of this book so far, so that's no surprise. awesome issue.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:32 am

chap22 wrote:other than the headache i gave my self trying to decode Doop-speak while reading this on my iPad, loved it. but hen, i've loved every issue of this book so far, so that's no surprise. awesome issue.

Ha! Have you gone digital too, then? (Not to derail, but since you're an old-timer, too, I'm just curious about if/when you made the switch.)

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 16 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:42 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:
Ha! Have you gone digital too, then? (Not to derail, but since you're an old-timer, too, I'm just curious about if/when you made the switch.)

i'm running probably somewhere about 25/75, with the majority still paper. i get the following stuff digitally for varying reasons:

Sixth Gun
Mind the Gap
Danger Club
Atomic Robo
WatXM
Captain America & _____
I, Vampire
GL
Flash
Animal Man

and will probably add to that list soon a few more DC books that i don't feel the compulsive need to read the day they come out in order to save the $1 a book by waiting a month.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:56 am

I'm having trouble picking my favorite moment. It's either the Howard the Duck team-up OR "Hi, my name is James..."

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:50 pm

It was Howard the Duck for me, because it was just so unexpected. The Cyclops moment may turn out to be in poor taste when Cyclops really does get lobotomised (in a dream sequence) next month.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Zero wrote:It was Howard the Duck for me, because it was just so unexpected. The Cyclops moment may turn out to be in poor taste when Cyclops really does get lobotomised (in a dream sequence) next month.

BAH! HE'S A VILLAIN! WE NEED NOT CONSIDER HIS FEELINGS!

All kidding aside, that's a crazy coincidence.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 15 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:45 pm

Yeah that was a pretty great issue of anything.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:30 am

Much to my shame, and to the detriment of my ‘comics hipster’ status, I haven’t read Peter Milligan and Mike Allred’s seminal X-Force/X-Statix run (although I do have one eye on the omnibus), so I’m not familiar with Doop, apart from that he’s a big green blob. Thankfully, it looks like that’s all I needed to know to enjoy this insane and hilarious instalment of W&XM. Aaron has always imbued this title with a sense of humour, but this was an all-out comedy and I loved it. The conceit is that Doop has been hired by Wolverine to protect the school, and despite looking like a useless blob, he’s actually incredibly powerful and the greatest hero of all. We seem him take the pre-emptive action that even X-Force can’t, and it is awesome. My favourite bit was his team-up with Howard The Duck, but pretty much every page had something funny and clever on it, this review could basically turn into one big list, like ‘Wolverine dressing up as Cyclops and stabbing himself in the face’ or ‘Doop seducing each member of the Westchester School Board’ and ‘The League Of Nazi Bowlers’. Aaron’s imagination was in overdrive with this issue, and it was just fantastic. I’m sure some people who like their superheroes to take themselves a bit more seriously, or who just don’t get the joke of Doop won’t like this, but I personally loved it. Mike Allred’s artwork was of course brilliant, he nailed all the humour, and as Doop’s co-creator, was the perfect choice for this issue. Normal service resumes next month, but this was the perfect palate cleanser in between heavy AvX stuff.

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 15 posts

Postby GHERU » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:45 pm

D :smt026 :smt026 P!
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm not sure about comic of the year, but it was pretty damn good!

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 22 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Agent Panic wrote:I really don't like Wolverine and the X-men. It's kind of weak and I'm not mesmerized by it.

But I checked this out because it was a Doop issue by Allred. I was not disappointed, it was awesome. If Allred stood on this book, it could be amazing. It really seems to fit the tone well.

Allred is always good.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand