Advertisement

Batman #13 - Death of the Family (Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Batman #13 - Death of the Family (Spoilers)

Postby Zero » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:31 pm

First off the cover is half of the Joker's face. If it had been the full thing I'd have bought two. Poor show DC.

Apart from that, this was a brilliant start to the story. Joker murdering an entire roomful of cops (save one) was brilliant, and his ongoing torture of Gordon suitably creepy. The references to The Man Who Laughs and his own origin are enough to hook me and Capullo's reveal of the Joker on the final page is just shocking enough to work.

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Re: Batman #13 - Death of the Family (Spoilers)

Postby Draco x » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Interesting as it sounds it will most likely end with Batman about to kill the Joker but decides not to because of his moral code. However, if the Joker were to bump off the current Robin, then I will praise him in song.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:34 pm

draco x wrote:Interesting as it sounds it will most likely end with Batman about to kill the Joker but decides not to because of his moral code. However, if the Joker were to bump off the current Robin, then I will praise him in song.

I think he's definitely going to take a run at the whole family this time round, I'm actually a little worried for Alfred.

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 696 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:58 pm

I wasn't overly impressed with this, and that saddens me because I really hoping for something so much more. Capullos artwork was top notch, but the design of the Joker didn't do anything for me. It's like they combined Hush with Joker, the bandages just made me immediately think of Hush. Going after Alfred was nice twist, especially if this means that Joker knows all there is to know about the Batman now.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 211 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:48 pm

draco x wrote:Interesting as it sounds it will most likely end with Batman about to kill the Joker but decides not to because of his moral code. However, if the Joker were to bump off the current Robin, then I will praise him in song.

With Morrison still doing Batman, Inc., that's very doubtful.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 342 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:12 pm

At a mused whim I took a peek at this. The thing is, this story was told but a mere four years ago by Morrison. Yeah the story and art sucked. But at least the end design was a little better. I'm still not sold on the new look or direction for the Joker. Because of two reasons: 1.) It looks over complicated and too gritty. 2.) It continues to de-evolve him as nothing more than a killer on par with Carnage. When you're nothing more than Carnage now.. well. Yeah.. that says a lot of the writing then.

We've gotten to the point were the Joker is so over the top violent that keeping him around well.. makes it more insane as to why he still is. You can get an easy answer as to why Mr. Freeze is, Two-Face, or even Scarecrow. But Joker? It's gotten too ridiculous.

Still I think the real reason that bugs me so much is that I still can't for the life of me take Capullo's art. There's something that bugs me about it. That it tries to be creepy but can't. Jock on the other hand. Damn.. the stuff he did with Snyder on Tec still gives me nightmares. Now speaking of that.

The second story with Harley? MUCH MUCH more frightening.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 549 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 pm

I assumed the half-face die-cut was done for variety, and logistical reasons for attaching to the spine. If they had used a full face it would've looked like just a double cover.
Either way it was decent of them to not charge more for these.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Y'all crazy. First off, i'll admit that OK, this is definitely the less-appealing version of the Joker for me, where his plans revolve around absolutely nothing more than killing as many people as possible as sadistically as possible, but i'll be damned if that version of the character may not be the antagonist Snyder was born to write. This book has all the creepy foreboding little tricks Snyder is expert at playing, with a classic "kill 'em in a dark room" scene that brought the horror, classic Joker mindfuckery with Gordon and Bats, some swerves, etc., but Snyder made sure to inject just enough zaniness into Joker as well to keep just a hint of lightness to the gruesome evil on display as well. The backup with Joker and Harley is the perfect example...it's mental torture of harley by a clearly totally bugfuck Joker, but just when you think it's gonna get really gruesomely ugly, we get the classic Joker "ha, gotcha!" moment. I hate the whole face-mask thing they've got going with Joker right now, but other than that absolutely zero complaints, with a terrifying last page that leads to an awful lot of long-time questions that may finally get answered. I loved it.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Zero wrote:First off the cover is half of the Joker's face. If it had been the full thing I'd have bought two. Poor show DC.

Apart from that, this was a brilliant start to the story. Joker murdering an entire roomful of cops (save one) was brilliant, and his ongoing torture of Gordon suitably creepy. The references to The Man Who Laughs and his own origin are enough to hook me and Capullo's reveal of the Joker on the final page is just shocking enough to work.

Never read That little story? The Killing Joke?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Zechs wrote:At a mused whim I took a peek at this. The thing is, this story was told but a mere four years ago by Morrison. Yeah the story and art sucked. But at least the end design was a little better. I'm still not sold on the new look or direction for the Joker. Because of two reasons: 1.) It looks over complicated and too gritty. 2.) It continues to de-evolve him as nothing more than a killer on par with Carnage. When you're nothing more than Carnage now.. well. Yeah.. that says a lot of the writing then.

We've gotten to the point were the Joker is so over the top violent that keeping him around well.. makes it more insane as to why he still is. You can get an easy answer as to why Mr. Freeze is, Two-Face, or even Scarecrow. But Joker? It's gotten too ridiculous.

Still I think the real reason that bugs me so much is that I still can't for the life of me take Capullo's art. There's something that bugs me about it. That it tries to be creepy but can't. Jock on the other hand. Damn.. the stuff he did with Snyder on Tec still gives me nightmares. Now speaking of that.

The second story with Harley? MUCH MUCH more frightening.

Yeah, Joker as a psychotic killer is way less interesting than the old Clown Prince of Crime with a ruthless streak.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 342 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:56 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
Yeah, Joker as a psychotic killer is way less interesting than the old Clown Prince of Crime with a ruthless streak.

Yeah when was the last time the Joker did a zany crime that also happened to have people get murdered?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 343 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:35 pm

Not a fan of the Jokers new look, can't believe I actually agree with Lidfeld who called him 'leatherface joker'.

About how he's written, ok Snyder can write a creepy character, creating creepy psychotic villains seems to be a specialty of his. But the Jokers twisted brand of humor seems totally off.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:22 pm

I enjoyed this for what it was; I've read so many interpretations of the Joker over the years, and while I don't particularly love "homicidal maniac Joker," it's not like I don't understand that this is an interpretation that some people prefer, or like to write about.

One thing I realized while reading this issue, though: Scott Snyder's Jim Gordon Jr., as drawn by Jock, was infinitely scarier. The issue of Detective, "Skeleton Key," is without a doubt one of the creepiest damn things I've ever read and, to be honest, no Joker story I've read thus far compares to that.

I have viewed Greg Capullo's artwork generally favorably over this run, but for some reason, I wasn't feeling it this issue. Nothing I could put my finger on, but I wonder if Capullo's style simply doesn't mesh with this kind of story. That's not a criticism; for example, Frank Miller's artwork was perfect for Daredevil and Dark Knight, but it likely wouldn't have been as effective on a book like, say, Adam Strange or something like that.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:29 am

Zechs wrote:
Yeah when was the last time the Joker did a zany crime that also happened to have people get murdered?

The original Englehart "Laughing Fish" story maybe?

- Sons of the Desert

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:00 am

The Nacireman wrote:
With Morrison still doing Batman, Inc., that's very doubtful.

Yeah, I know unfortunately, but wishful thinking never hurts now does it?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand