Advertisement

Earth 2 #5 Review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

Earth 2 #5 Review

Postby LOLtron » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:00 pm

Earth 2 #5 Review

Grundy's rampage comes closer to its end in Earth 2!

Earth 2 #5 (James Robinson, Nicola Scott, Trevor Scott): Ah, Earth 2… I’ve frequently mentioned on this site how much I adore this series. Well, you’re in for more of the same this time. In this month’s issue, we see Green Lantern Alan Scott take command of the battle against Grundy, and we learn of some political intrigue going on behind the scenes thanks to our man of questionable morals, Terry Sloan. Our budding team of Wonders starts to band together, but all hope seems lost as Green Lantern goes in for the final battle…

I cannot overstate how much I LOVE the way James Robinson has been building this world. Each and every issue to date has left me wanting him to tell more of the story. To my memory, in every issue he has left a teaser of more Wonders to be featured later. In this issue, we get not one, not two, but three! Sandman makes a cameo appearance, and Captain Steel and Red Tornado are hinted at. The way Robinson gives you just enough of a taste of what’s coming without giving anything away is fantastic.

One problem I do have with Robinson’s writing, however, is the use of Alan Scott’s sexuality. I’ve mentioned before that I worry about it becoming a crutch. I have absolutely no problems with him now being homosexual, but I do worry that it’s being shoved in our faces too much so as to make for having lacked a gay leading character for so long. With most characters, sexuality is taken either a priori or not mentioned at all. I’d like to see Alan’s homosexuality become a less up-front trait. Again, I have no problems with his orientation, but I feel like we’re lingering too long on the “lost lover” angle so soon. Maybe bring it back later, but right now it feels like DC is trying a bit too hard.

The artwork is nothing overly special. I usually try to look deeper into the art styles, see if there’s anything unique for it or against it, and with this series I can’t seem to find anything. I suppose it mostly comes down to an aesthetic opinion. You’ll either like it or hate it. I personally think it fits the world that’s being formed, but I would like to see a bit more color. That’ll happen after the Grundy arc is done, I would assume. All in all, I cannot recommend this series highly enough. It’s not too late to catch up, I think you’d be glad you did.

Writing: 7.5

Art: 7

Overall (out of 10): 7.25

Written or Contributed by Veggieleezy

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 485 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Earth 2 #5 Review

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:26 pm

As we now know Alan's loss of Sam clearly had longer-lasting implications, that's why it was frequently mentioned. Also consider that as soon as he lost Sam he immediately became Green Lantern and had no time to grieve or process it before he was off on a mission.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand