Advertisement

Review: AvX: Consequences #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:17 am

Spoilers: Everyone hates the mutants!

AvX: Consequences #1 (Kieron Gillen, Tom Raney, Jim Charalampidis) Marvel Comics

Let me first preface this review by saying how full-circle things seem to come for mutants in Marvel comics. Even if that circle is 95% of the time dealing with how much people hate mutants, and 5% being relatively calm. But apparently Marvel saw fit to up the ante, making the Civil War/Siege arc look like a walk through some mild arguments and stern glances. Apparently, excessive is back in style. Rob Liefeld would be proud. That being said....

Here we have AVX: Consequences #1. When we last saw our intrepid heroes/outlaws/others, Slim Summers went and killed Professor X, tried to destroy a bunch of nations and city-states (and succeeded for the most part), and the Avengers and X-Men quit trying to beat the hell out of each other long enough to drive off the Phoenix Force, thus leading to mutants appearing again, and Cyclops being arrested for, you know, murdering more people than the Mongolian empire.

As things turn out, Scott Summers doesn't like jail. And everyone blames the mutants for essentially making craters of a good chunk of populated areas. This book was a fairly quick and jumpy read. It feels too much like they're just leading into another "Lets lock up all the mutants!" story, and everything else just seems... forced. We'll see if they can do something a bit more interesting with the follow-up books, but it's not looking particularly promising.

For the most part, the artwork is decent. Though I humbly throw my vote in for never letting Tom Raney  ever draw Captain America again. I realize that there are timeframes and deadlines to meet, but it really shouldn't be that difficult to draw the letter "A" without making it look like a 5 year-old had taken a piece of paper, cut out the letter, and used a gluestick to fashion it on to his suit. You'll have that sometimes, I suppose. 

Hopefully we'll see some improvements in how everything falls together in the story, but as of now, Kieron Gillen isn't leaving me with a great deal of confidence. But this is just issue 1, and there is time to build something interesting if done right. Time will tell, but this comic is pretty much a bust.

So outta 5, we'll give this a 2.5? Maybe? It's rough.

Written or Contributed by strokeofchaos

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 9 posts

Re: Review: AvX: Consequences #1

Postby GHERU » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:19 pm

I'm shocked that Gillen didn't do a good job on an X book

SHOCKED I SAY!
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Re: Review: AvX: Consequences #1

Postby Timbales » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:26 pm

yeah, mutants have always had it easy with so much public love and admiration before Cyclops, it's all his fault
However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand