Advertisement

Superman Makes Life Change, Further Ruined

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:01 am

Superman will be getting another life change, further destroying his character.

Source: USA Today

Superman fans reading USA Today this morning discovered a nasty surprise waiting for them.  The newspaper reported that Clark Kent, Superman's gentle alter-ego, would be quitting the Daily Planet to start up his own blog.  According to Scott Lobdell, DC was looking to explore Superman through a more modern lens and decided to strip the character of his job in addition to his marriage to Lois Lane and his iconic red outer-underpants.   With this final outrage, we can only expect fans of Superman to finally declare the character unrecognizable and spend the next four months complaining incessantly about the change.

According to the article, Superman will be trying to start up his own version of the Huffington Post or Drudge Report and will be joined by Cat Grant, who is inspired by Kent's public notice of resignation.  We imagine upcoming arcs will focus on Kent trying to balance writing articles that matter to him with news articles that pander to powerful Internet fanbases that bring in loads of hits and help keep his blog's ad revenue up.  We also expect Kent to struggle with the moral implications of accepting free review copies in exchange for positive reviews and then getting cruelly shut out by major publishers when deciding to stand for truth, justice, and quality writing.

Of course, this isn't the first DC character that's recently turned to a life of blogging.  Frankenstein, former agent of S.H.A.D.E., recently joined the Outhouse's staff after getting laid off by DC.  We'd hire Clark Kent, but we're afraid that his brand of hard-hitting journalism wouldn't fit in with our typical output.  Anyways, welcome to the blogosphere, Clark Kent.  We hope you survive the experience.

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 311 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Superman Makes Life Change, Further Ruined

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 am

Superman's gentle alter-ego, would be quitting the Daily Bugle

The Daily Bugle is who Peter Parker works for :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:48 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:

Keep in mind that Thanoscoptor got his start writing action figure bios.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 62 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:

Sure I have a comic where Peter and Clark work at the same paper
Good job dc. Clark's never quit the planet. Except for all those other times he did.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 476 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:09 pm

You can strip a man of his job, you can strip a man of his girl, but when you strip a man of his underwear, you go too far.

BTW, Frank's Twitter: https://twitter.com/DCFrankenstein
ImageImageImageImageImage

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:11 pm

Believe it or not, I'm totally OK with this. I think Scott Lobdell's reasoning is sound enough, and it makes sense at this point of the publication history of Superman.

I mean, my God. He's been at newspapers for 70 years. Times change. Moving the character forward that little bit gives him the opportunity to meet new supporting characters, provide different perspectives on what it is to be Superman.

Superman can only change so much. But to me, I'd never have him date Lois Lane again and I would have a little less emphasis on the Daily Planet, because you know what? Those stories have been told. They have. That doesn't mean you can't EVER tell them again, but you can certainly tell other stories for a period of time, too.

I am very much interested in an "energetic Superman." A Superman who is more Man of Steel than Everyman. That's where I am with this character. I don't need to read another panel of "bumbling Clark Kent" for as long as I live, to be honest.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 287 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:57 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Believe it or not, I'm totally OK with this. I think Scott Lobdell's reasoning is sound enough, and it makes sense at this point of the publication history of Superman.

I mean, my God. He's been at newspapers for 70 years.

Except for when he went to GBS, a television company, in the '70s...
And when he was fired from the Planet and was writing a book in the '90s...

Times change.

Indeed they do.
For example, blogging is not the "Cool new thing everybody's doing!" that it was 5 years ago. :roll:
But hey, let's give Lobdell a round of applause for updating Superman to 2007.

"DO tell Scotty, 'cause Scotty doesn't know!"
Last edited by Herald on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Pretty sure he also worked at a magazine.
Keep it fresh dc

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 311 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Bet this means that his feelings for Lois are a factor in his decision to leave.

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Jonathan Carroll strikes again. 8)

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby MrBlack » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:07 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Bet this means that his feelings for Lois are a factor in his decision to leave.

Ahh, creepy stalker Superman.

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:11 pm

MrBlack wrote:Ahh, creepy stalker Superman.

All part and parcel of the Darker and Edgier "New 52!"...

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Herald wrote:
Except for when he went to GBS, a television company, in the '70s...
And when he was fired from the Planet and was writing a book in the '90s...

Indeed they do.
For example, blogging is not the "Cool new thing everybody's doing!" that it was 5 years ago. :roll:
But hey, let's give Lobdell a round of applause for updating Superman to 2007.

"DO tell Scotty, 'cause Scotty doesn't know!"

Come on, man...be fair. I'm probably one of 20 guys left on the planet who knows who "Blackrock" is and what his origin is, so cut me some slack -- I know Clark hasn't ALWAYS worked at the Daily Planet.

What I'm saying is that the direction, the quitting and moving the character forward in a different direction, is welcome in my book. I'm absolutely serious when I say I don't need to read another story with Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen or Perry White in it.

If you're going to reboot this thing, then freaking reboot it. Give the characters new interactions, new supporting characters. That's how you keep these character interesting -- give them something new to see and do.

You're not changing the backstory, Krypton/explosion/rocket/Smallville. But you can change the people around him as an adult and as Superman.

I think this is absolutely the right move.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Postby Timbales » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Newspaper print editions are closing down left and right, it's not that odd to have him moving to an internet - based job.
However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

Herald
biny little tird

Postby Herald » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:45 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:

Come on, man...be fair. I'm probably one of 20 guys left on the planet who knows who "Blackrock" is and what his origin is, so cut me some slack -- I know Clark hasn't ALWAYS worked at the Daily Planet.

"He's been at newspapers for 70 years" demonstrates otherwise.
Perhaps you should not have said that...

What I'm saying is that the direction, the quitting and moving the character forward in a different direction, is welcome in my book. I'm absolutely serious when I say I don't need to read another story with Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen or Perry White in it.

Apparently, you also don't want to read about Superman, either, since his relationships with those characters define him as much as "Krypton/explosion/rocket/Smallville" do. So shall we dispense with "Krypton/explosion/rocket/Smallville", as well?? Why not??

When you start stripping these elements away from these characters, you end up with unrecognizable shells that just happen to have known characters' names. But hey, "unrecognizable shells" are clearly what Dan and the Gang are going for with this DCnU, right??

If you're going to reboot this thing, then freaking reboot it. Give the characters new interactions, new supporting characters. That's how you keep these character interesting -- give them something new to see and do.

And yet, practically everyone's been saying that the books and characters that were NOT rebooted, like Swamp Thing and Animal Man, are the best books of the lot. This in itself speaks volumes, mostly repeating the message "NONE of these characters and concepts needed rebooting in the first place!!"

You're not changing the backstory, Krypton/explosion/rocket/Smallville.

Parents not dead or dead.
Superman wearing iconic costume or idiotic "Jim-Lee-style" '90s-throwback armor.
Superman behaving as an inspirational figure in the Justice League or acting like a jerk in the Justice League.

These elements are important.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand