Advertisement

The Walking Dead: "Sick"

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

The Walking Dead: "Sick"

Postby LOLtron » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:38 pm

The Walking Dead:

A look at the next episode of The Walking Dead, featuring a big moment for Rick.

The Reborn Reviews the Undead
PhoenixEquinox’s The Walking Dead Reviews
Season 3 Episode 2: Sick
(And yes there will be spoilers of past episodes)

Ok, in the beginning of The Walking Dead’s production as a television show, Robert Kirkman said that he wanted to make the show different from the book so that it wouldn’t bore the comics fanbase, but (and this is a big but) he would keep the plot similar so the comics fanbase wouldn’t revolt and lead an imaginary revolution against him and anyone associated with him on the internet. And so far…he’s kept his promise. I mean the show has kept me guessing, but I generally know which way it’s going. There have been some divergent plot threads i.e. the early death of Dale and Sophia, the late death of Shane, the exclusion (or transformation) of certain characters (cough cough Tyresse and the family with the twin boys cough cough) But overall it’s stuck to road map the comics have provided. Until this episode…

The action picks up right at the end of the last episode with Rick cutting off Hershel’s leg and the main group finding a whole other bunch of living prisoners hiding in the cafeteria. The chaos of the moment overrides any time for introductions or explanations as the main group get Herschel set up on a cart to get him back to the rest of the group. After they get back, Rick, T-Dogg, and Daryl explain the situation outside the prison to the prisoners. By this time the prisoners still don’t introduce themselves which anyone who’s watched anything in the horror department knows isn’t a good sign for their futures. These prisoners have been locked inside the cafeteria for 10 months and the first thing their leader tries to do is kick out Rick & company and try to keep the prison for themselves. Instead, the two leaders agree to share the prison with both sides keeping to two different cell blocks. The only issue standing their way is clearing out the other cell block.

Now I can’t really go any further without spoiling the episode. So if you don’t want it spoiled you can stop here. The episode was good, but like last week I had some problems, except this time it was with a lack of character development for Rick in the some of the actions he takes after they get in the cell block. If you just want the bare bones of it, scroll down to the bottom for my rating, but if you want to sink your teeth into the meat of the issue, keep reading. You’ve been warned…

SPOILER WARNING

(Ok now you’ve been warned.)

So during the clearing out of Cell Block A the group (to be more specific Rick, T-Dog, Daryl and the 5 prisoners) encounter lots of walkers. And not all of them survive. There’s the biggest prisoner (who I thought could’ve been Tyresse) who gets scratched by a walker and then brutally killed by the leader of the prisoners. Then the leader tries to kill Rick (and this is where the problem/spoiler is), then after the battle Rick chops into the prisoner’s leader’s head with a machete. This scene emulates the scene in the comics when Rick shoots Dexter (the leader of the prisoners who Kirkman thought to give a name in the book). The big difference between the scenes is that Rick masks Dexter’s death in the chaos of the walker attack whereas in the show he does it after the battle. Now this leads Rick down a dark path that eventually leads to temporary insanity which doesn’t seem to be the case in the show since both Daryl and T-Dog seemed to have no problem with Rick’s decision. He also did it in such a way that was more like Rick in the current comics and I’m sorry but Rick has gone through a lot more crap in the books to be that cold.

But on a good note, Rick’s relationship with Lori was explored further, and it does seem that Rick knows how damaged it is, and will probably use the baby to redefine it. I also like how Rick is using his skills in marriage to help Glenn and Maggie become closer. (Showing again that in most AMC shows, the husband is in the right and the wife is in the wrong which is a subject I’ll get to on a later date.) I also enjoy how Carl is progressing into adulthood through necessity, which is different than the books, but it makes more sense here since the actor is aging. And finally I like how Carol is developing into a surrogate doctor for the group instead of the craziest person in the group, again, just like how she did in the comics.

Overall it was another successful episode with a black mark staring at me in the face. It had more good character moments than the last episode, but I didn’t like how Rick’s big moment was handled. But yet again my perception of that moment can change when they handle it further in later episodes.

S3Ep2: Sick;- Final Verdict: 4.5 out of 5 stars 

Written or Contributed by Royal Nonesuch

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 39 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: The Walking Dead:

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:46 am

This show can do no wrong. A lot of people at my work, none of whom read comics, talk about this show.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand