Advertisement

Did Dan Slott Reveal the Superior Spider-Man?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:53 pm

A private message "accidentally" posted as a tweet by Superior Spider-Man writer Dan Slott may have spoiled the identity of Superior Spider-Man!

Source: Black Jumbo

Did Dan Slott accidentally spoil the identity of the new Superior Spider-Man?  That's the rumor making its way through the blogosphere right now.  The story is that Dan Slott accidentally publicly tweeted Ryan Stegman a message revealing a very familiar name to Spider-Man fans that matched one of the more popular theories concerning the identity of the new Spider-Man.  The tweet was meant to be private and was quickly deleted, but not before several bloggers and Internet fans got their hands on them.

One of those fans was the Outhouse's own Black Jumbo, who posted the alleged tweet on the forum.   Wanna know who it is? 

Do you?  

Really, do you want to know?

Fine, you twisted our arm.  The tweet references a "Miguel", which obviously references Detroit Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera! Cabrera, currently playing against the San Francisco Giants in the World Series, is certainly a high profile sports star who recently won the Triple Crown and is the first Detroit Tiger in history to hit 30 home runs in five consecutive seasons, facts which we learned because we are knowledgeable baseball fans and not because we looked it up on Wikipedia. However, while the move is likely to gain Marvel a lot of mainstream attention, some fans may be wondering how a major league baseball player would find himself in the Spider-Man costume. Until we know the details, we'll just have to trust in Slott's writing capabilities, in which we are very confident after classic stories such as... oh, well there was... umm.. what about... no... hmmm... well, there's The Thing.  We all liked The Thing, right?

Of course, Slott could be fucking around with fans, much as he often does with their mothers. Slott's on Twitter constantly and should be able to use the site's three functions without screwing it up.  In addition, Brian Bendis is using the exact same stunt in All New X-Men, which will feature a young Michael Jordan traveling forward in time to confront his older self for making consistently awful draft choices as owner of the Charlotte Bobcats.  In any case, it should be noted that this could all be a red herring, like communism. We'll just have to wait until the week before the book hits stands for Bleeding Cool to spoil it for certain.

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 130 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Did Dan Slott Reveal the Superior Spider-Man?

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:01 pm

I don't really know anything about twitter, how often do people really accidentally tweet things openly?

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:14 pm

Black Jumbo wrote:I don't really know anything about twitter, how often do people really accidentally tweet things openly?

It's been known to happen. A little while ago, Bill Sienkiewicz couldn't stop Tweeting the world his phone number, which he meant to DM to someone.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 pm

I believe it is true!!!

MIGUEL!

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:45 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:
It's been known to happen. A little while ago, Bill Sienkiewicz couldn't stop Tweeting the world his phone number, which he meant to DM to someone.

I imagine Slott is a lot more social media-conscious.

This is either a planned leak, or a planned mislead.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1153 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:46 pm

Black Jumbo wrote:I don't really know anything about twitter, how often do people really accidentally tweet things openly?

It could be possible, but the fact that he said "DM me back as soon as you get this" seems a little over the top. Like if I meant to post this message to you as a private message instead of a post. And then I said "Ok Squid, make sure you private message me back, as this is a private message, thanks, great corresponding with you via private message oh OOPS I MEANT THIS TO BE A PRIVATE MESSAGE!"
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:32 am

Time-related notations...

"Yesterday's X-Men" and "Kang's Forces"

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 347 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:03 am

remember the days when we'd txt ourselves stuff? from when did twitter become the preferred form of text messaging?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:12 am

We need some Vegas-style odds on this, dammit.

Do we sell our Spider-Man 2099 #1s now, while there is a possibly-valid rumor floating around, or do we wait until Marvel spoils the real info as part of their deal with USA Today any day now just in case there's something to it??

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:14 am

Black Jumbo wrote:We need some Vegas-style odds on this, dammit.

Do we sell our Spider-Man 2099 #1s now, while there is a possibly-valid rumor floating around, or do we wait until Marvel spoils the real info as part of their deal with USA Today any day now just in case there's something to it??

Sell now! Sell now!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:26 am

Eli Katz wrote:Sell now! Sell now!

I dunno, looks like they are still under a dollar.

BUT, this has clearly spurred on a lot of people picking up those cheap copies after the rumor. When I do the math, sales of SM2099 #1 picked up immediately after the rumor hit, and have increased more than 4x since then surprisingly giving SM 2099 #1 a MGS sales ranking better than a lot of new comics out last week--in terms of briskness of sales currently.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:13 am

Black Jumbo wrote:
I dunno, looks like they are still under a dollar.

BUT, this has clearly spurred on a lot of people picking up those cheap copies after the rumor. When I do the math, sales of SM2099 #1 picked up immediately after the rumor hit, and have increased more than 4x since then surprisingly giving SM 2099 #1 a MGS sales ranking better than a lot of new comics out last week--in terms of briskness of sales currently.

Well, as I'm sure you know, there's no way that any sane person would spend more than a buck on SM 2099. And there's no way that Miguel will remain as Spider-Man for more than an arc or two, if in fact this tweet is not a red herring. So I'd sell my copies as soon as you find morons willing to spend a few bucks on this issue. I'd laugh if you end up selling these issues for 10 bucks a piece.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:15 am

Eli Katz wrote:Well, as I'm sure you know, there's no way that any sane person would spend more than a buck on SM 2099. And there's no way that Miguel will remain as Spider-Man for more than an arc or two, if in fact this tweet is not a red herring. So I'd sell my copies as soon as you find morons willing to spend a few bucks on this issue. I'd laugh if you end up selling these issues for 10 bucks a piece.

I noticed a lot of time-traveling and even the mention of the year 2099 in this week's Marvel previews. :spidey

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand