Advertisement

Amazon Suspends Saga Trade Sales (UPDATED)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 356 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:18 am

The bookseller has stopped selling the comic and has put the book "under review".

Source: Twitter

Amazon has pulled the first trade of Saga from its website, and has informed potential buyers that the product is "under review". Saga is the critically acclaim science fiction series written by Brian K. Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staples.  The book, published by Image Comics, has received accolades from almost every corner of the industry and its first trade collection, which non-comic booksellers received yesterday, was expected to be a best seller.  

Image Comics confirmed that the trade of the popular series had been pulled on Twitter yesterday and added that they had not been told why the trade had been suspended.  Amazon has not returned our attempts to contact them about the issue, nor had they reached out to Image as of yesterday evening.

On its website, Amazon stated that the review was due to either a product defect, a shipping issue or due to an inaccurate product description.  The company also noted that the product was pulled due to a consumer tip. In an attempt to see if the collection had been pulled due to faulty manufacturing, the Outhouse contacted several comic book stores and book stores across the nation and asked if there were any noticeable binding or printing errors.  None of the stores the Outhouse contacted stated that there was any problem with the manufacturing.  Some, however, added that copies of Saga had been flying off the shelves and hoped that the Amazon product review didn't somehow affect their ability to re-order. 

One has to wonder whether Saga was pulled due to the sexual themes, nudity or gore present in the first arc.  While the book is far from an "erotic" comic, the series does feature alien nudity and also features an underage girl being offered as a prostitute, although she is quickly freed by one of the series' protagonists.  Still, Amazon has no "Mature Ratings" system and comics with similar content are being sold by the company without issue, so this possibility seems remote at best.  

Despite being pulled from the website, Saga currently sits at #33 on the Amazon Comics Bestseller's list. The company is also allowing third party sellers to sell the book through their "Amazon Sellers" program.  Image added that the trade was still available at BN.com and at local comic book stores everywhere. 

UPDATE: The Outhouse has learned of at least one report that a copy of Saga shipped from Amazon was "extremely wavy" due to heat warping.  If you received a damaged trade from Amazon, please contact us at theouthousers@yahoo.com.

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Re: Amazon Suspends Saga Trade Sales

Postby Chesscub » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:22 am

Where's the article? It's not on the front page even. You lied to me. :smt013

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:32 am

Chesscub wrote:Where's the article? It's not on the front page even. You lied to me. :smt013

fixed now
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 123 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:32 am

Please note that you can still buy the first trade from third party sellers on Amazon.

I think it's extremely likely someone raised a fuss over the content to get it reviewed, actually. Similar stuff has happened before.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 34 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 am

Black Jumbo wrote:Please note that you can still buy the first trade from third party sellers on Amazon.

I think it's extremely likely someone raised a fuss over the content to get it reviewed, actually. Similar stuff has happened before.

I added the third party seller's bit to TC's report.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 106 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:42 am

Too much hot robot fuckin'

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 am

BlueMole wrote:
I added the third party seller's bit to TC's report.

:smt023

I'm sure someone raised a red flag over the content, generating the automatic review process. Even the very positive reviewers on Amazon get a little shaky over the content in most of the reviews.

The inclusion of the underage sex-trafficking ring was a pretty bold choice, even though the ring-leader is shown to get brutally killed for his crimes during the course of it.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:57 am

Bummer

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:00 am

Or maybe it was the spider-boobs:

First of all... spiders don't have mammary glands. Maybe I'm not the target audience but why does your spider monster have to have giant boobs?

Not the target audience for spiders with boobs?? Weirdo.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 am

Black Jumbo wrote:Or maybe it was the spider-boobs:

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 482 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:27 am

Black Jumbo wrote:Or maybe it was the spider-boobs:

I am shocked
SHOCKED I SAY
that in a science fiction story set in an alien galaxy that the life forms there don't conform to Earth standards

how unrealistic
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:35 am

GHERU wrote:I am shocked
SHOCKED I SAY
that in a science fiction story set in an alien galaxy that the life forms there don't conform to Earth standards

how unrealistic

Yup that's the obvious rebuttal to any critique of alien life by earthly development. Plus who said anything about mammary glands--is that even milk in those things, I wonder? (Actually, I don't want to know.)

But when I used that to say why Clark & Lois should be incapable of bearing viable live offspring everyone got cranky.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Re: Amazon Suspends Saga Trade Sales (UPDATED)

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 am

This happens pretty much every week with some comic release or another. Especially with omnibuses of absolutes.

It lasts a week or so, then it's available again.

The Marvel Zomnibus was under review for a week, and was back on sale soon thereafter.

This is pretty much a non-story.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:47 am

I got Saga via Amazon, and my copy was fine, btw.

nolanjwerner
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby nolanjwerner » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:14 am

Does Amazon do this kind of thing for books from major publishers often?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand