Advertisement

Fans and Industry Breathe Sigh of Relief as Rob Liefeld Ends Retirement

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 146 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:54 pm

After several hours of despair, comics fans and professionals are relieved to find that Rob Liefeld will continue to work in comics.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Earlier today on the facebook page of Mitt Romney campaign manager Ethan Van Sciver, Rob Liefeld announced his retirement from comics. Shockwaves were immediately felt throughout the industry and fandom, as it is widely believed that, aside from Liefeld, the entirety of the industry is populated by D-List creators. Fortunately, Liefeld has reconsidered his decision and canceled the retirement. The whole incident was reported on almost immediately by Bleeding Cool, a site known for its responsible journalism. From Liefeld's Twitter:

I am NOT retired from comics. Taking some time off and will be back at it soon. Thanks!

No I am not permanently retired from comics. I’m too young! Momentarily, yes. Geez, let a guy enjoy some R and R

My mistake is that I don’t give facebook comments the same weight as I do twitter rants. Lesson learned.

However, is the comic book industry that Liefeld is returning to the same as the one he left? The landscape in comics is known to change very often. For example, since Liefeld retired early this morning, DC Comics has rebooted its continuity at least several times, although, to be fair, a recent Crisis event did restore the continuity to the state of the third reboot. Liefeld may find it difficult to adjust to the radically different comics landscape he left behind this morning.

However, Liefeld, a consummate professional as evidenced by his mature and measured behavior on Twitter in recent months, is likely to be capable of bouncing back.

"Tom Brevoort is still a fat fuck, so some things have remained the same," said Liefeld, who also wanted to reassure fans that he would continue to create comics, perhaps for decades to come. "I'm not going to leave until Image United is completed."

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Re: Fans and Industry Breathe Sigh of Relief as Rob Liefeld

Postby Chesscub » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:09 pm

"I'm not going to leave until Image United is completed."

FUCK!

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Postby Timbales » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:18 pm

However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

The Bass

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby The Bass » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:52 pm

You know, I'm hardly a huge fan of Liefeld (I own...a lot of X-Force issues, I liked his Hawkman stuff more than the turgid Tony Daniels stuff), but, to be honest, if half his critics, came up with half as many new characters as he did, the industry would be in better shape than it is.

And if you're going to criticise his art - Marvel and DC both put out books (at the moment!), that is way shittier and more unprofessional than Liefeld.

Jealousy, you see, will only get you so far.

Kolimar
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Bear-hugger
Formerly: Kolimar

Postby Kolimar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:09 pm

Timbales wrote:Image

:lol: :lol:
"Hey, maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe one o' those terrorists'll blow Bats away.
Nah, never happen.
Ah, well.. I can dream, can't I...?"- Guy Gardner.

"It is often forgotten that (dictionaries) are artificial repositories, put together well after the languages they define. The roots of language are irrational and of a magical nature." - Jorge Luis Borges, Prologue to "El otro, el mismo."

"Corruptus In Extremis"

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library." Jorge Luis Borges

"Omne animal triste est post coitum"

contramundi
cheese

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby contramundi » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:30 pm

The Bass wrote:You know, I'm hardly a huge fan of Liefeld (I own...a lot of X-Force issues, I liked his Hawkman stuff more than the turgid Tony Daniels stuff), but, to be honest, if half his critics, came up with half as many new characters as he did, the industry would be in better shape than it is.

And if you're going to criticise his art - Marvel and DC both put out books (at the moment!), that is way shittier and more unprofessional than Liefeld.

Jealousy, you see, will only get you so far.

i hope thats sarcasm..

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 30 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:56 pm

contramundi wrote:
i hope thats sarcasm..

That would be false hope.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 161 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Timbales wrote:Image

Fucking....awesome...

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:25 pm

contramundi wrote:
i hope thats sarcasm..

its not
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 am

contramundi wrote:
Why would it be sarcasm? Read again what I wrote. While i am in no way a fan of Liefeld, I think he's a better artist then Some of the talent at Marvel and Dc ancd he's created more characters than you or i will and deserves better than the venomous abuse he gets online.

i hope thats sarcasm..

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:25 am

contramundi wrote:
Why would it be sarcasm? Read again what I wrote. While i am in no way a fan of Liefeld, I think he's a better artist then Some of the talent at Marvel and Dc ancd he's created more characters than you or i will and deserves better than the venomous abuse he gets online.

i hope thats sarcasm..

contramundi
cheese

Postby contramundi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:55 am

so he created some characters that became popular,and had a trendy output in the 90s,big deal,can he live all his life and feel sastified for something he did almost 20 years ago??what did he do recently thats so great?fucked up some DC comics and insulted a couple of colleagues?what did he created?..it certanly wasnt feet,cuz hes incapable of creating feet.
created deadpool and cable good..being a better artist than somefolks at marvel and dc i doubt it,what folks?hes got sites dedicated to pointing out the stupidity of his artwork,i couldnt care less about him but his drawing suck huge ass..just my 2 cents there

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 am

contramundi wrote:so he created some characters that became popular,and had a trendy output in the 90s,big deal,can he live all his life and feel sastified for something he did almost 20 years ago??what did he do recently thats so great?fucked up some DC comics and insulted a couple of colleagues?what did he created?..it certanly wasnt feet,cuz hes incapable of creating feet.
created deadpool and cable good..being a better artist than somefolks at marvel and dc i doubt it,what folks?hes got sites dedicated to pointing out the stupidity of his artwork,i couldnt care less about him but his drawing suck huge ass..just my 2 cents there

not to mention that most of those popular characters were not popular until after Liefeld left
Deadpool, Cable, Shatterstar, Domino...they were generic 90s "mysterious" characters who showed no growth until Fabian, PAD, Waid, Kelly, etc got a hold of them.

Remember, Liefeld didn't make Cable Scott's son, Deadpool wasn't funny, and Shatterstar was a Longshot clone/rip off

I love my old New Mutants / X-Force comics, but to pretend they were creative highlights, even then, requires a pair of high dense rose colored glasses
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 30 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:40 am

GHERU wrote:not to mention that most of those popular characters were not popular until after Liefeld left
Deadpool, Cable, Shatterstar, Domino...they were generic 90s "mysterious" characters who showed no growth until Fabian, PAD, Waid, Kelly, etc got a hold of them.

Remember, Liefeld didn't make Cable Scott's son, Deadpool wasn't funny, and Shatterstar was a Longshot clone/rip off

I love my old New Mutants / X-Force comics, but to pretend they were creative highlights, even then, requires a pair of high dense rose colored glasses

I think it was ruby quartz glasses would be better suited.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

contramundi
cheese

Postby contramundi » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:21 am

GHERU wrote:not to mention that most of those popular characters were not popular until after Liefeld left

quoted for the muthafuckin truth there

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand