Saturday, May 28, 2016 • Evening Edition • "Now part of a nutrituous breakfast!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


Review Group Week 159: RUNAWAYS #7

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Punchy wrote:You're just getting old, you're like the comic book version of Clint in Gran Torino.

Hey I am reading a lot of MAnga now... I don't remember the book ever looking like this, did the guy ape the penciller he was filling in before? Chase looks straight up like a thirty year old woman.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:05 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey I am reading a lot of MAnga now... I don't remember the book ever looking like this, did the guy ape the penciller he was filling in before? Chase looks straight up like a thirty year old woman.


I haven't got the issue yet, but Miyazawa has always had this manga style, he used it on Spider-Man loves Mary Jane too.

******

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:41 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey I am reading a lot of MAnga now... I don't remember the book ever looking like this, did the guy ape the penciller he was filling in before? Chase looks straight up like a thirty year old woman.


Miyazawa is great. His SMLMJ work was fantastic.

I won't have the issue for a few days, but I'm guessing if you're having problems with how the characters are drawn it's probably because you've gotten used to Ramos.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:04 pm

I didn't expect it to look like Ramos, but I didn't expect Chase to shrink and become a woman either, so who knows, I will take a look at my back issues and compare before I review.

******

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:27 pm

thefourthman wrote:I didn't expect it to look like Ramos, but I didn't expect Chase to shrink and become a woman either, so who knows, I will take a look at my back issues and compare before I review.


The only preview I could find did have him looking a bit fem, much more so than he did in Miyazawa's previous Runaways issues.

I still think it's closer to what Alphona was doing, but it is a more rounded/traditional manga approach. Mostly I think he just did the hair a bit too flat and didn't give him enough of a nose. I'm judging that based on 2 panels though.

I got used to Ramos on the book, but I never liked how big he drew Chase or how crazy ridiculous the square jaw was.
User avatar

Grassy

Flying Mongoose

Postby Grassy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:27 pm

amlah6 wrote:Miyazawa is great. His SMLMJ work was fantastic.

I won't have the issue for a few days, but I'm guessing if you're having problems with how the characters are drawn it's probably because you've gotten used to Ramos.


That.
User avatar

Chubbles

Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:19 pm

I like Ramos a lot. His style is definitely different from most others and for some reason I've always been a fan.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:38 pm

Chubbles wrote:I like Ramos a lot. His style is definitely different from most others and for some reason I've always been a fan.

I love Ramos, but some of his recent work has been crap, X-Men for example was a mess.

As for the book at hand I went and looked at Vol. 1 11 & 12 and Vol. 2 7 & 8, while the 1st volume issues he did were more mangafied than Alphona, 7&8 were more so than those and this one more so than the middle ones. I think between the artist reverting back to his more familiar style with great fierceness every outing and the marked difference between him and Ramos, it made it more drastic.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:45 pm

Review is written will link and quote when it goes live.

Score
Story 5
Art 5
Overall 5

ugh... I want BKV back. :(
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:59 am

I liked this issue a lot, it was the best since Vol. 3 began, it's a pity that just as Moore is getting into a groove that he has to leave.

Review coming by the end of the weekend.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 pm

Punchy wrote:I liked this issue a lot, it was the best since Vol. 3 began, it's a pity that just as Moore is getting into a groove that he has to leave.

Review coming by the end of the weekend.

:smt011 You like that stupid Blue Beetle book as well don't you :smt011
either that or it was so much like Scott Pilgrim that you forgot it wasn't.

It was average at best.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:08 pm

thefourthman wrote::smt011 You like that stupid Blue Beetle book as well don't you :smt011
either that or it was so much like Scott Pilgrim that you forgot it wasn't.

It was average at best.


I don't like Jaime's Blue Beetle book, I dropped it at #7, but apparently after that was when it started getting really good, so what do I know?

I just thought this was a solid issue of Runaways, off-beat superhero stories with good character moments and funny lines. It was the best issue of the book I've read since BKV left.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't like Jaime's Blue Beetle book, I dropped it at #7, but apparently after that was when it started getting really good, so what do I know?

I just thought this was a solid issue of Runaways, off-beat superhero stories with good character moments and funny lines. It was the best issue of the book I've read since BKV left.

I had such high hopes after the first issue of this volume, they have been crushed like your spirit will be one day, young one.
User avatar

McKegan

Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Got to agree with Punchy. This was the best issue of the run so far. I'll get a review in tommorw.
User avatar

thefourthman

Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:41 pm

McKegan wrote:Got to agree with Punchy. This was the best issue of the run so far. I'll get a review in tommorw.

Agreeing with Punchy is just a way to disagree with me... I'm on to your little games.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 81 guests