Since the HUGE news broke that Disney purchased Lucasfilm and plans to bring a new episode of Star Wars to the screen, speculation has run rampant as to what the story will cover, who will direct, who will star, and more.
Please be aware this is definitely still in the rumor stage, but Matthew Vaughn, the guy that brought us X-Men: First Class, Kick-Ass, and Stardust, is in talks to helm Star Wars: Episode VII. This is believed to be the reason he dropped out of directing the next X-Men film that Bryan Singer is now directing. Many were wondering why Vaughn would step away from the X-Men, but being offered a chance to take over the reigns for Star Wars is something that could definitely entice him. Most of all though, if true, is good news for fans. Vaughn has offered up some great movies to geeks thus far and the fact that he is also a writer, we know he can take a concept to the next level.
We'll be bringing more information on this as it becomes available, stay tuned!
As a cute side-note, someone made this 'campaign video' for Brad Bird as director of the next Star Wars movie. I can't say he'd be a horrible choice, but I'm much more interested in Matthew Vaughn myself.
He would not be my first choice from the rumored studio wish list for these:
From my understanding the movies that follow will be far more in line with the original trilogy in regards to tone and method, and from the few names I have heard being banded around I am very excited, as they are all choices that I think people will get behind.
- Steven Spielberg, who may actually get to direct his episode of STARWARS after all.
- Neil Blomkamp, District 9, Elysium.
- Alfonso Cuarón, Children of Men, Gravity (which is a masterpiece by the way) When I was told this name, I said that's the guy.
- Matthew Vaughn. Kick Ass, First Class.
- Darren Arnofsky, The Fountain, Noah. (very popular candidate) and has been for a while.
- Joss Whedon. Serenity, The Avengers. That could work as Joss is currently overseeing Marvels next onslaught under the Disney Banner, but don't hold your breath for a directing gig for many years down the line. He may well have his part to play though
Brad Bird is my tops, but from this quoted list..
Alfonso Cuaron would be fucking amazing.
And I'd take Blomkampf and Aronofsky ahead of Vaughn as well.