Advertisement

Fatale Changed to Ongoing Series

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Image Comics has announced that Ed Brubaker's hit creator owned series Fatale will become an ongoing series.

Source: Press Release

Image Comics today announced that Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' Fatale, originally planned as a mini, will become an ongoing series and continue to rake in boatloads of cash for all involved indefinitely. The series has been quite popular due to its highly relatable premise:

Josephine, heroine of Ed Brubaker's and Sean Phillips Image Comics series FATALE, has carried the curse for decades — able to enthrall men but chased by an ancient evil, she is seemingly destined to cause the ruination of anyone who loves her.

She could be any woman! Am I right, guys?! AMIRITE?!

*ducks for cover*

Anyway, starting with issue #11, the new ongoing will kick off with four standalone, flashback issues exploring the curse of the femme fatale. If you're not already reading this, January's Fatale #11 would be a good place to jump on board.

Here's the press release:

THE CURSE OF THE FEMME FATALE REVEALED
Four standalone "Flashback" issues by Brubaker and Phillips

Josephine, heroine of Ed Brubaker's and Sean Phillips Image Comics series FATALE, has carried the curse for decades — able to enthrall men but chased by an ancient evil, she is seemingly destined to cause the ruination of anyone who loves her. The haunting series was originally planned as a mini-series, but Brubaker and Phillips have found that curse of the femme fatale is inexhaustible. Thanks to strong sales, a wealth of stories yet to be told, and a certain mesmerizing quality, FATALE is now an ongoing series.

"Fatale was originally envisioned as a novel in three parts," said Brubaker in an interview with Comics Alliance, "but I kept having ideas for side-plots and tangents or single issues, and it started to feel more like it was meant to be a more sprawling story. So I just decided to let it go until it's finished."

To launch the new format, Brubaker and Phillips are taking readers back in time with four standalone issues of FATALE. Jo may feel alone in her curse, but these stories will let readers in on her past and show that other women have shared her fate.

The first of the FATALE Flashback issues, December's FATALE #11, will reveal Jo's early years as a femme fatale. As the story follows her on the run in 1930s California, some of her elusive secrets will come to light.

In January, FATALE #12 will take readers all the way back to Medieval Europe, when a woman possessing the powers of the femme fatale curse faces doom not only from demonic forces but also from the scourge of witch-burnings.

February brings the femme fatale to the Wild West with FATALE #13, when a man — or a woman — could blaze a trail with a loaded pistol and a steady hand.

FATALE #14 in March is a World War II horror adventure, when Jo crosses paths with crazed Nazi cultists behind enemy lines.

Each issue of FATALE contains extra articles and art not collected in the trade paperbacks, including essays by renowned pop culture scholar Jess Nevins (The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana), whose writing also appeared in Brubaker's and Phillips' Criminal.

FATALE, written by Brubaker, drawn by Phillips, and with colors by Dave Stewart, was introduced in January 2012, the first new series in an iconic year for Image Comics. Its first five issues have been collected into a trade paperback, FATALE: DEATH CHASES ME, which Publishers Weekly called an "addictive page-turner" in a starred review. The French edition of DEATH CHASES ME has just been announced as one of the nominees for the prestigious Angoulême Award, in the Polar (Mystery) category. Its second trade paperback, THE DEVIL'S BUSINESS, is available for pre-order now and will be in stores on December 19.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Fatale Changed to Ongoing Series

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Mixed feelings. I like Fatale, but already it feels just the slightest bit distended. And I liked his Cap run until Marvel editorial suggested it be more drawn out, and then even as skilled a writer as Brubaker is, as a reader you could feel that stretch in the story. I can't help but wonder if this won't be similar.

Manhattan Projects, by Hickman, I hope will never end when I read it. But Fatale felt like it was driving toward a natural end of some sort.

GHERU
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:43 pm

i never knew it was a mini
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Wasn't this announced like 2 months ago?

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 11 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Boo.

This is the weakest of the Bru-Phillips collaborations.

I suppose this means Criminal is on hiatus forever. I am very, very disappointed.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 14 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:58 pm

Eli Katz wrote:Boo.

I suppose this means Criminal is on hiatus forever. I am very, very disappointed.

Agreed.

Draco x
penile prisoner

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:18 pm

Would any be interested if this became a movie?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:32 pm

You need to try some new things.

I just ordered the first three issues of Murder Book from Ed Brisson: http://edbrisson.storenvy.com/

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 17 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:41 pm

It's really, really, really, really good.

BUT.. I don't think making it ongoing benefits it as a tight, cohesive story.

Plus, I'd rather have more Criminal/Incognito.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:34 pm

Yeah. I guess they want to strike while the sales iron is hot, but I had been hoping it'd fall into rotation with Criminal and Incognito.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:59 am

The word is that the next Criminal story will happen around the time the Coward movie comes out.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:18 am

Black Jumbo wrote:
You need to try some new things.

I just ordered the first three issues of Murder Book from Ed Brisson: http://edbrisson.storenvy.com/

That looks very cool. Thanks for the suggestion!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Postby Eli Katz » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 am

Shit, I should have continued reading Near Death.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 17 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 am

Punchy wrote:
The word is that the next Criminal story will happen around the time the Coward movie comes out.

I feel like that's years away...

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:14 am

Chris wrote:I feel like that's years away...

Who knows when it will be, but that's what Phillips said to one of my friends at a Convention 2 weeks ago.

I don't really care whether it's Criminal, Incognito or Fatale, I'll take any Bru/Phillips collaboration, it's all excellent.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand