Advertisement

Karen Berger Steps down as head of Vertigo

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Karen Berger Steps down as head of Vertigo

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:29 pm

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/119420-karen-berger-is-leaving-dc.html

I know there's something I'm supposed to say in a circumstance like this, but don't know what it is.

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: Karen Berger Steps down as head of Vertigo

Postby superfictious » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:32 pm

This doesn't bode well for Vertigo.

And I mean it.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:33 pm

False Prophet wrote:This doesn't bode well for Vertigo.

That's what it was.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 279 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Well, that's Vertigo fucked, then. Well done DC.

The Bass

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby The Bass » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Hands up who was surprised? I mean seriously. We were only talking in the shop today that Johns cancelled American Vampire so Snyder could do more Batman....Hellblazer's dead....what's left?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 279 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 pm

I wonder where this leaves the Sandman mini-series. I can't see Gaiman wanting to deal with anyone but Berger.

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Karen Berger is Leaving DC

Postby LOLtron » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Karen Berger is Leaving DC

The editor will leave March 2013.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Multiple news sites are reporting that Karen Berger has stepped down from her position as Senior VP at DC Entertainment and Executive Editor of Vertigo Comics.  Berger has been in charge of Vertigo since its founding in 1993 and helped bring in and edit many of the imprint's biggest successes.  Berger helped recruit visionary writers such as Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison and Peter Milligan and won three Eisners for "Best Editor" over her career.

In recent years, Berger has seen her power at DC take a hit as the Vertigo imprint waned in power.  The last few years have seen the imprint's ongoing titles shrink, its contracts restructured in a way seen as less friendly to creators, and its creator owned characters turned over to DC's main line.  She also was effectively demoted last year with the hiring of Bob Harras and the promotions of Dan Didio and Jim Lee.  Last month, DC announced that the longrunning Hellblazer series had been cancelled. 

Berger will stay on through March 2013 to transfer Vertigo to new leadership, which will include staffers trained and picked by Berger herself.

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1021 posts

Re: Karen Berger is Leaving DC

Postby HNutz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:44 pm

We shouldn't know this?

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 pm

This doesn't bode well for Vertigo.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:45 pm

The Bass wrote:Hands up who was surprised? I mean seriously. We were only talking in the shop today that Johns cancelled American Vampire so Snyder could do more Batman....Hellblazer's dead....what's left?

No one.
Vampire's taking a six month hiatus. Snyder's doing the same amount of Batman. He is doing more superman. All signs point to it being an internal hiatus at the halfway point. Albuquerque kind of wants a break, which makes sense.
What is left- http://www.comicbox.com/index.php/news-english/dc-comics-in-february-2013-vertigo-others/ plus an unnamed Lemire series, more Sandman, presumably some Morrison projects, and hints at more Spaceman.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 pm

HNutz wrote:We shouldn't know this?

That too.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Question is, who has the reputation and well-regard enough to replace her? Of the people currently there, maybe Palmiotti? Conner? Marts?

The Bass

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby The Bass » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:51 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
No one.
Vampire's taking a six month hiatus. Snyder's doing the same amount of Batman. He is doing more superman. All signs point to it being an internal hiatus at the halfway point. Albuquerque kind of wants a break, which makes sense.
What is left- http://www.comicbox.com/index.php/news-english/dc-comics-in-february-2013-vertigo-others/ plus an unnamed Lemire series, more Sandman, presumably some Morrison projects, and hints at more Spaceman.

The last time a creator went on "hiatus" it was Dustin Nguyen on Wildcats, and he never came back. This is as soft a cancellation as you can get, because Johns hates Vertigo, but doesn;'t want to hurt Snyder's feelings that the book failed.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 167 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:58 pm

The Bass wrote:
The last time a creator went on "hiatus" it was Dustin Nguyen on Wildcats, and he never came back. This is as soft a cancellation as you can get, because Johns hates Vertigo, but doesn;'t want to hurt Snyder's feelings that the book failed.

Really? Because in the interview I read Snyder said that they planned to take a break at the halfway point to get recharged and get ahead again.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Postby Timbales » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:58 pm

mmmmm burger

However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand