Advertisement

Nightfly's TV Week in Review: Week of 11/25/12

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Nightfly highlights his favorite TV programs, film trailers, movie posters and more from the week of 11/25.

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas though it also looks like many primetime series will remain on the schedule for at least another week (or two). Last week I watched a robust fifty-one hours of primetime TV in total, up from a total of (just) thirty-eight from the previous week. Of the fifty-one hours viewed for this past week, hour-long dramas alone accounted for thirty.
The network scorecard again looks very much like it did last week. CBS and Showtime both garnered dual placement on my Top 7 dramas list but the CW tops that list thanks to an episode of Arrow introducing beloved Bird of Prey heroine Huntress. NBC shows strongly in my Outstanding Sitcoms section, yet ABC (once again) claims that list's top slot. Just like the week before last, Nickelodeon appears twice in my favorite Teen Sitcoms section but again fails to dethrone Disney from that category's no.1 spot. Following another familiar pattern, NBC and BBC America again garner double-placement on my favorite Reality Shows list in a second consecutive week dominated by Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States from Showtime.

The December lull I predicted doesn't seem to be as looming as I originally thought. TV fans should be pleasantly satisfied with a new episodes from most primetime shows for this upcoming week as well as the next. So, my upcoming columns won't be very sparse afterall!

Now to my favorite picks from last week's primetime schedule...

Hour-Long Scripted Dramas -
7. Homeland - "Two Hats" (SHO)
6. Person of Interest - "Til Death" (CBS)
5. Dexter - "Helter Skelter" (SHO)
4. The Walking Dead - "When the Dead Come Knocking" (AMC)
3. Boardwalk Empire - "Two Imposters" (HBO)
2. Hawaii Five-O - "Wahine'inoloa" (CBS)
1. Arrow - "Muse of Fire" (CW)

Runners-Up:
1. Beauty and the Beast - "Out of Control" (CW)
2. Vegas - "Exposure" (CBS)
3. Glee - "Thanksgiving" (FOX)
4. Nikita - "The Sword's Edge" (CW)
5. Last Resort - "Big Chicken Dinner" (ABC)
6. Grey's Anatomy - "I Was Made for Lovin' You" (ABC)

--------------------------------

Outstanding Sitcoms -
5. 30 Rock - "Mazel Tov, Dummies!" (NBC)
4. 2 Broke Girls - "And the Egg Special" (CBS)
3. Raising Hope - "The Walk for The Runs" (FOX)
2. Parks and Recreation - "Pawnee Commons" (NBC)
1. Modern Family - "When a Tree Falls" (ABC)

Runners-Up:
1. The Simpsons - "A Tree Grows in Springfield" (FOX)
2. The New Normal - "The XY Factor" (NBC)
3. Wedding Band - "Time of My Life" (TBS)

Favorite Guest Star of the Week:
Ray Stevenson on Dexter (SHO)

Runners-Up:
Patton Oswalt on Burn Notice (USA)
Vanessa Marcil on Hawaii Five-O (CBS)
Brigid Brannagh on Leverage (TNT)
Molly Sims on Wedding Band (TBS)

Teen Sitcoms -
3. How to Rock - "How to Rock a Tennis Ball" (nick)
2. Victorious - "Tori Fixes Beck & Jade" (nick)
1. Jessie - "Trashin' Fashion" (Disney)

Reality Shows -
7. The Voice - "Live Results Show" (NBC)
6. Top Gear - "Uncovered" (BBC-America)
5. Richard Hammond's Crash Course - "Cattle Rancher" (BBC-America)
4. Toy Hunter - "Houston The Toys Have Landed" (TRVL)
3. The Voice - "Live Top 8 Performances" (NBC)
2. Dark Matters: Twisted But True - "Unabomber; Get the Lead Out; Salvation by Starvation" (Sci)
1. Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States - "The Bomb" (SHO)

This week's column not only features a full bounty of links to new movie trailers and posters but, reminiscent of my older columns, I'm also featuring links to some other web videos I think are cool and worth sharing! In this batch of (13) movie posters I'm highlighting my favorite new character one-sheet from the film Beautiful Creatures and a super-cool poster-sized viral blueprint from Guillermo del Toro's much-anticipated Pacific Rim. Other new posters from last week you might wanna see include ones from Hammer of the Gods, five character posters and the main one-sheet for A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III, the international posters for Riddick and Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, the French poster for Les Miserables, two one-sheets for A Magnificent Death from a Shattered Hand, a poster for the Lena character from Beautiful Creatures, four handsome posters that'll go to fans who attend midnight IMAX showings of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (on Dec. 14th), a striking one-sheet for the low budget chiller All Superheroes Must Die, and finally, a first poster for Dustin Hoffman's directorial debut titled Quartet.

The trailer from this past week that I've chosen to embed is for Tom Cruise's upcoming actioner Jack Reacher, in addition to that (thanks to MovieWeb) you can click on the following titles to see trailers for The Baytown Outlaws, Black Rock, Freeloaders, a third trailer from Quentin Tarantino's Django as well as a revealing one for All Superheroes Must Die. A trailer also came out for the pricey book ($1k), Harry Potter: Page to Screen: The Complete Filmmaking Journey, available Dec. 4th which you can see and read about here.

Jessica Chobot fans, like myself, will be interested to catch the most recent installments of Weekly 'Wood and Mix'd Reviews (from IGN) and, as mentioned above, some other vids I elected to share are Tom Morello's latest entry (#45) of his weekly vlog The Nightwatchman Speaks, two music clips I've embedded below, Red Letter Media's reaction to Ridley Scott's Prometheus arriving on DVD, and, the debut installment of Super Geeked Up! SGU comes from the creator & cast of web series Super Knocked Up, and its inaugural edition features special guest Victor Solis (co-creator and showrunner of one of my favorite web series, Generic Girl). The musical clips viewable in this column pertain to Katy Perry being named Billboard's Woman of the Year for 2012, and, a clip promoting Public Enemy's HipHopGods Classic TourFest Revue happening now through Dec. 13th.

My tentative plan is to keep including bonus video content in future entries of this column, possibly even leading to the eventual relaunch of a separate Week in Review column just for web series, internet clips 'n the like. Last week's TV WiR poll saw a 200% jump in reader participation (from 0 votes to 2) so I've decided to include another one in this week's column, hoping reader participation will continue. Have a great first week of December, Be Well and (as always) Happy Viewing!

There is a poll on the front page. Please visit this article at the link below to vote.

Written or Contributed by Nightfly

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Nightfly's TV Week in Review: Week of 11/25/12

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Nightfly wrote:...Last week's TV WiR poll saw a 200% jump in reader participation (from 0 votes to 2)...

I would check the math again on that one, Nightfly.

Thanks again for writing this column. My DVR now has two yet-to-be-viewed seasons of Boardwalk Empire so it is pretty remarkable that you keep up to date with so many programs.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum