Advertisement

Columbia Casts Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn in Amazing Spider-Man 2

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:24 pm

DeHaan will compete with Andrew Garfield for title of sexist twink in the Amazing Spider-Man cast.

Source: Our Friends at CosmicBookNews

Though some have questioned the wisdom of casting a brooding boy-toy like Andrew Garfield as geeky outcast Peter Parker in 2012's Amazing Spider-Man movie, the tactic ultimately proved so successful that Columbia is going back to the well of boyish sexiness for 2014's followup, tentatively subtitled Amazing Spider-Man 2: Twilight with Superheroes. Sony has announced that Dane DeHaan from HBO's Treatment has been cast as Harry Osborn in the film.

"Our number one criteria in casting for the role was that the actor have messy hair that you just want to run your fingers through and give a good tussling," said a lecherous Columbia executive who wished to remain nameless on the basis that we made him up. "But he shouldn't be as tusslable as Andrew Garfield. We think Dane is the perfect fit. Mmmmm."

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is due in theaters in 2014, and is reported to feature Jamie Foxx as the villain Black Electro. Shailene Woodley will reportedly play Mary Jane. Between Woodley, Garfield, DeHaan, and Emma Stone, America's thirst for watching beautiful twenty-somethings portray beautiful teenagers groping each other should be quenched, at least for a while.

Here's the press release:

Dane DeHaan will join the cast of the next installment of The Amazing Spider-Man™ along side Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx and Shailene Woodley as Columbia Pictures prepares to begin production on the next chapter of the blockbuster franchise, it was announced today by Doug Belgrad, president of Columbia Pictures, and Hannah Minghella, president of production for the studio.

The screenplay is by Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci and Jeff Pinkner based on a previous draft by James Vanderbilt. The film will be directed by Marc Webb and produced by Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach.

The casting of DeHaan as Harry Osborn was confirmed this morning in a tweet by Webb (@MarcW) who wrote "Meet Harry Osborn. So excited to have him on board. @danedehaan."

"Dane is an exciting and extraordinary young actor and he is a fantastic addition to our cast," Webb said.

The new film in the Spider-Man saga is set for release in 3D on May 2, 2014. Production will begin in early 2013 in New York.

Webb, Garfield and Stone previously teamed on this summer’s blockbuster The Amazing Spider-Man, which has taken in more than $751 million worldwide.

DeHaan caught moviegoers’ attention with his performances in four 2012 releases: Steven Spielberg’s Lincoln, opposite Daniel Day-Lewis and Lukas Haas; John Hillcoat’s Lawless, alongside Shia LaBeouf, Tom Hardy, and Jason Clarke; Bradley Rust Gray’s Jack & Diane, with Juno Temple and Riley Keough; and one of the year’s biggest sleeper hits, the adventure thriller Chronicle, directed by Josh Trank. He began his film career with director John Sayles and actor Chris Cooper in Amigo.

DeHaan next stars in Place Beyond the Pines alongside Bradley Cooper and Ryan Gosling. In addition he will star in Atom Egoyan’s Devil’s Knot, with Reese Witherspoon and Colin Firth, about the fate of the West Memphis Three; and John Krokidas’ Kill Your Darlings, with Jack Huston, Daniel Radcliffe, Ben Foster, and Kyra Sedgwick, set in 1944 amidst the Beat Generation.

Mr. DeHaan first came to industry attention with his portrayal of Jesse in the third season of the critically applauded drama series In Treatment, starring alongside Gabriel Byrne. This was followed by a guest arc in the fourth season of the popular horror series True Blood.

In 2010, he received an Obie Award for his performance in Annie Baker’s The Aliens, directed by Sam Gold. The Rattlestick Theater production was cited as “Play of the Year” by The New York Times. Mr. DeHaan made his Broadway debut in with American Buffalo, Robert Falls’ 2008 staging of the classic David Mamet play. 

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 203 posts

Re: Columbia Casts Dane DeHaan as Harry Osborn in Amazing Sp

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:29 pm

The more important question is who will be playing his dad Norman as it will be had to find an actor who could top Willem Dafoe's impression of him.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:39 pm

"reported to feature Jamie Foxx as the villain Black Electro"

really? has nobody come up with Eblacktro yet? i am ashamed of you, internet...even moreso than usual.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:54 pm

chap22 wrote:"reported to feature Jamie Foxx as the villain Black Electro"

really? has nobody come up with Eblacktro yet? i am ashamed of you, internet...even moreso than usual.

I think Jamie Foxx should have played Hobbie Brown aka Prowler instead and have Zachary Quinto as Electro.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:12 pm

Are we sure Foxx won't be playing the Hypno Hustler?

I'd love for a director to give bigger name celebrities cameos as those D-list villains for like 10 sec clips.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:19 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Are we sure Foxx won't be playing the Hypno Hustler?

I'd love for a director to give bigger name celebrities cameos as those D-list villains for like 10 sec clips.

Jamie Foxx as Hypno Hustler would be funny as hell but in all seriousness hell no.

NuggetFiend
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Postby NuggetFiend » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:21 pm

draco x wrote:
Jamie Foxx as Hypno Hustler would be funny as hell but in all seriousness hell no.

The Prowler is barely a rung above Hypno Hustler.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:26 pm

NuggetFiend wrote:
The Prowler is barely a rung above Hypno Hustler.

D-list characters can work if the director and writers know what to do with them. I mean how many people would have thought Bane would have worked as the main villain for the recent Batman movie given the fact he is nowhere as popular as the other Bat-villains outside of Knightfall. Although to be fair we both agree on Hypno Hustler by cnace.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:56 pm

I legit think the only reason Draco X thinks Quinto should be Electro is because Quinto is an actor he's heard of.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 pm

There is literally nothing about Zachary Quinto that screams Electro anymore than any other white male out there.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:05 pm

syxxpakk wrote:I legit think the only reason Draco X thinks Quinto should be Electro is because Quinto is an actor he's heard of.

That comment is almost as funny as your profile pic. On a serious tip, I never said that Quinto was my only choice but just one I chose to share here. Other actors good for the role would be people like Christian Bale( Doubt he would be interested though), Cilian Murphy or even Guy Pearce. There are lots of actors I could list who could play a mook like Electro.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:06 pm

syxxpakk wrote:There is literally nothing about Zachary Quinto that screams Electro anymore than any other white male out there.

Ok, name some people you think would be better apart from Jamie Foxx then.

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Jamie Foxx is a pretty awesome actor, so I think he'll be fine. My problem is this idea that any one person is perfect for the role. It's like Doctor Connors in the first. Plenty of actors could have played that role. Plenty of actors can play Norman Osborn. Plenty of actors can play Electro.
Last edited by syxxpakk on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:12 pm

syxxpakk wrote:Jamie Foxx is a pretty awesome actor, so I think he'll be fine. My problem is this idea that any one person is perfect for the role. It's like Doctor Connors in the first. Plenty of actors could have played that role. Plenty of actors can play Norman Osborn.

It will be interesting to see who can top Willem Dafoe's portrayal of Norman in the next movie.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:17 pm

draco x wrote:
It will be interesting to see who can top Willem Dafoe's portrayal of Norman in the next movie.

It won't take much.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum