Advertisement

Keith Giffen reunites with Paul Levitz on Legion of Super-Heroes

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 140 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:32 pm

The creators behind the Great Darkness Saga reunite to combat the Legion's greatest threat - low sales.

Source: Comic Book Resources

With sales of Legion of Super-Heroes hovering around the 20,000 Mendoza line, you would have thought that the brain trust at DC Comics would get the idea that the nostalgia trip that is the Neo-Classic Legion (the pre-1989 continunity, tweaked by Geoff Johns) written by legendary team scribe Paul Levitz just isn’t working. Despite this, DC is doubling down on the nostalgia and reuniting Levitz with his most famous artist partner and co-plotter, Keith Giffen, with issue #17 of the title.

"Working with Keith is as exciting as reading his work," Levitz told CBR News of his and Giffen's reunion. "We'll be back to changing the technology of the future, the lives (and deaths) of Legionnaires, and connecting to wonderfully obscure pieces of DC mythology. Buckle up...it's a wild ride."

The reuniting of Levitz and Giffen shows how cynical DC has become with the once proud Legion property. If anything, this proves Bono’s addage: “You glorify the past when the future dries up."

Written or Contributed by The Nacireman

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 121 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Keith Giffen reunites with Paul Levitz on Legion of Supe

Postby habitual » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:38 pm

If Giffen co-plots this I might pick it up.

Hab

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:42 pm

From a new interview at Newsarama yesterday:

For long-time fans of the Legion of Super-Heroes, the run by Levitz and Giffen is cherished and legendary. But in February, when the two creators will reunite on the Legion of Super-Heroes, neither wants to merely "do what they did before."

Although Levitz has been writing the series since before its relaunch last year, the writer admits that Giffen isn't just a penciler on the series -- at least not in the traditional sense. The two tend to push back and forth on where the story is going, including who lives, who dies, what the technology looks like and where the story ends up.

The core logic that we're exploring here is the idea that in the mythology of the Legion as it stands in the DC universe, there has been a Fatal Five at some point, and the Legionnaires in fact have had run-ins with some of the members. But the Fatal Five we're going to see is a new union that the Legion has never faced before.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:16 pm

For long-time fans of the Legion of Super-Heroes, the run by Levitz and Giffen is cherished and legendary. But in February, when the two creators will reunite on the Legion of Super-Heroes, neither wants to merely "do what they did before."

Who is Giffen trying to fool?? He's all but certain to do one thing he HAS done SEVERAL times before: Kill Karate Kid.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:28 pm

He'll have to (re)introduce Nu52 Karate Kid first.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:44 pm

My big concerns with Giffen being back (besides the Legion becoming more of a nostalgia trip) is that Giffen tended to get a little dystopic the last time they got together, and led up to the 5YG. Like I've said before, Legion has worked better when It had a more optimistic version of the future.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Bullshit, Five Year Gap all the way.

Do it again and do it clone-free this time.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:He'll have to (re)introduce Nu52 Karate Kid first.

Considering that Levitz pretty much ignored FLashpoint except when he needed to ( references to Legion Lost, mostly), it's easy to assume KK's timeline didn't change, and he's still dead.

Mind you, the neo-Classic Legion's timeline is so screwed up, it's hard to tell exactly what happened in the years between the Magic Wars and The Lightning Saga.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:59 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:He'll have to (re)introduce Nu52 Karate Kid first.

He'd do that, I'm sure.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:28 pm

Herald wrote:
He'd do that, I'm sure.

Giffen's hatred for Karate Kid is stupid. He was one of the first Legionaries to have something to resemble a personality. He was one-half of the best romantic couples in the Legion with Jeckie (second only behind Garth & Imra). He was the first Legionnaire outside of Superboy and Supergirl to have his own series. Killing him was one of the dumbest Legion moves ever, even if it did lead to Jeckie becoming Sensor Girl.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand