Advertisement

Fight on, Cass

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

Fight on, Cass

Postby LOLtron » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:07 pm

Fight on, Cass

A modest proposal of a fan day for a character that rightly deserves it.

It's been over one year since the character of Cassandra Cain made her final “canon” appearance in Batman: Gates of Gotham #5. Since then, there have been random reasons (that are mostly rumor and hearsay) put forth as to why the character hasn't appeared since the New 52 started. There are some that say the character, along with another, is “toxic”; someone within the company has a long standing grudge against the character, or maybe they're giving the character a rest so the others sort of like her (Barbara Gordon, Katana, and Lady Shiva) can flourish more in their uniqueness. The official word is that the character will be introduced in due time. Alas, I wish to believe this but being a fan of this character, I'm wise to this “game” DC has played.

Now why am I giving such a damn for this character, and not the others? Well, fans of the other “benched” characters: do read on. I almost hope this proposal works well enough that you do something similar. As for why this specific character? Well it's due to the fact that I'm pushing the cause of minority characters. Cassandra distinctly is a minority on multiple levels. She is a female character who is an ethnic minority, and she conquers a disability everyday. Her seventy-issue ongoing series was cancelled not due to low sales, but due to the company's will and policies. They thought having two female Bat characters having an ongoing would be too many (ironically, the first Batwoman title was scuttled for years until the New 52 relaunch).

Let's put things in perspective: Jaime Reyes, another minority and the current Blue Beetle? His first series lasted over thirty issues. His New 52 series lasted just over ten. That's how hard it is for minority character to hold a solo ongoing book by themselves. Add with the character being female to boot? One has to ask the question why DC isn't pushing this particular minority character more since they know there's money that can be made with this character? Of course there's also the easy answer as to why I care so much: amongst the benched DC characters, Cassandra Cain has gotten a raw deal. Again, all you have to do is see the various games DC Comics has played with her fanbase. A list so long that I'd rather point again to this link than go off in a tangent.

Yes, this is another Cassandra Cain movement. Yes, there already was a similar movement that was thought up this past August. It had good intentions, but the event suffered from three key problems: 1.) it lacked a reading list beyond the first issue of the character, and 2.) it was chosen during a weekend which saw multiple sales at Comixlogy involving various comics, so you couldn't really tell if fans made a difference or not, and 3.) The result would be the same: nothing could be gained, DC Comics will just continue turning a blind eye.

So why try this sort of thing again? It's a just cause that should be tried again. I've already said before that this is a game to DC. I do enjoy games, and I feel the wrong one was played. So let's change the game shall we?

Frankly, I think Cassandra Cain's fanbase gets a bad rap. Then again, a lot of the fanbases of the various characters currently lost have gotten reputations they don't deserve. Yes, two of the fan-bases are VERY vocal. I admit that freely. Maybe that's the key to why DC considers them toxic (if we're to believe this rumor): whatever they do, it won't satisfy these select bunch of fans. Regardless, the fan attitude of the characters hasn't reached H.E.A.T. (Hal's Emerald Advancement Team) levels of insanity. This is why I want to somewhat change this little game of the mice trying to gain the attention of the cat.

I want to do this event to prove to people that this fan-base is different from that. This is why you won't be finding me pleading you to flood anything DC-related with pleas of bringing this character back or giving you various e-mail addresses, Facebook, or Twitter links to DC Comics. Really, I believe this is the heart of the issue, so I say this to the fans of Cassandra Cain: if the company that owns the character won't throw us a bone, I say we throw one to ourselves.

On January 26, 2013 I want fans to celebrate the character of Cassandra Cain in their own way. One major suggestion is to buy Batgirl #37 via Comixlogy. Why this particular issue? It's the final issue of Kelley Puckett and Damion Scott's run and the day itself resonates with the character. It's January 26, Cassandra's birthday and David Cain has broken out of Blackgate Prison and simply walks back in. Why? To deliver a special gift to Cassandra. If I say anymore it spoil emotional resonance of the issue. Though for those who did participate in the Support Cass! movement, and downloaded #1, you'll get an extra dramatic punch.

It will give some kudos to the creators of the character: Kelly Puckett and Damion Scott. Yes, others should get a lot of credit as well, however it is their run that is most remembered and two of the creators who made the character what she is (other major contributors being Alex Maleev, who designed the Batgirl costume, and Chris Burnham & Grant Morrison, who came up with the Black Bat identity which the character had used before being wiped clean via Flashpoint).

Now if you don't want to buy the issue, there are other ways to participate in this event. I want fans who are artists and writers to do their thing. Draw the character. Write a story or an article. Do something in Photoshop. Make an amv, or a short fancomic of the character. Post about the character on a forum, or on Tumblr, and Twitter. Reach out to various people who have done so in the past (Espanolbot's Cass Toons or Kiarou's Red/Black series I'm looking at you). Give those people the due they deserve for giving us these wonderful little fan series.

If not that then e-mail me at lordmaul80@hotmail.com or post on the Outhouse forums in this thread (insert link). Tell me some your favorite Cass moments, or show me your way of celebration. I'll post them come January 26.

My intention for starting this movement is simple. This is publicity for the character for newbies who never heard about her and to give the fan-base a chance to show they aren't this radical group that would doom a book. This isn't to stir the hornet's nest or plead to the higher-ups at DC. Again, DC doesn't care if you spam their Facebook, and e-mail, or if you mail them pleading to bring back the character. What they care is the dollar (see Didio's comparison of Gotham Central and Superman/Batman). It is the sad hard truth, but it is fact. What I do want is for DC to turn their heads and see the profit that could be their's.

Thus the two goals of this proposition. If this is a success, maybe there's an off-chance someone in those offices can use this event and say, “You see this? We could be getting money from this fanbase. Why aren't we?” Or we can provide whatever fans of the character that are within DC (and there are some) that they have something to show to upper management: a reason to bring the character back. I truly want to see the current mindset of DC to change from believing that Cassandra is “toxic” and only has a readership of 20,000 or less. That's the stat they're most heavily invested in since that would be sales on Cassandra Cain's last mini-series, Batgirl Vol. 2 #1-6. If anything else, let's prove them wrong. But also this is win win for the fan-base. Like the character herself, we do what we do best. We fight on.

Prove to them on January 26, 2013 that this character's fans (and fans of characters like her) do have a voice. Not a "toxic" one, but a positive one. Maybe even prove to them that the character can still be profitable. If not, then at the very least, we the fans of this character did something to honor Cass, something the company who owns her hasn't done in over eight years: treat her with the respect she deserves.

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 299 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Fight on, Cass

Postby Zechs » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:07 pm

Many thanks for Cat on making the banner.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:31 pm

And how's your little club going?

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 399 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:33 pm

What they did to Cass proves that they don't care about the dollar, either. Again: At cancellation, Cass's ongoing book was selling more than many books that DC kept going.

What happened to Cass is their personal preference at work, pure and simple.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Black Jumbo wrote:And how's your little club going?

I wouldn't call it a club. Nor would I call it something I want ongoing. I just want one and done. That is all. :-D

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 13 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Zechs wrote:
I wouldn't call it a club. Nor would I call it something I want ongoing. I just want one and done. That is all. :-D

Cool, I will let Dan Didio know you're on record as saying all you really want from this is a Cass one-shot, you don't want a Cass ongoing book.

I'm sure he will respect you for lowering your demands this early in your campaign.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Black Jumbo wrote:
Cool, I will let Dan Didio know you're on record as saying all you really want from this is a Cass one-shot, you don't want a Cass ongoing book.

I'm sure he will respect you for lowering your demands this early in your campaign.

That's hardly what I mean. I mean the movement. Besides I doubt anything will come of this. I want too, but this is just something I thought I try.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1276 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Zechs, I have a question for you. Do you really want Cass or Steph to show up in the DCnU if that means that they will have to be DCnU versions of themselves? Say for instance that DC suddenly decides to bring these characters back but maybe Cass's history as you know it is completely erased and instead she is/was a teen prostitute who killed her pimp and went on the run. Instead of encountering Batman, she is taken in by Jason Todd, who decides to train her the same way that he was trained in the DCnU, and allow her to join the Outlaws as the Black Bat. Would that be a story that you really want to read? :smt102

Don't get me wrong, I miss characters like Wally West and I wouldn't mind having Stephanie Brown back. However, the longer the DCnU is around, the less appealing that universe becomes and the less interested I am in seeing what type of new and "improved" unfamiliar backstory these writers want to give to characters who I used to be interested in. Think about it from this perspective: If you are a fan of characters like Wally West, Donna Troy, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, or any of the other characters who have yet to be introduced into the DCnU, then I guess you can still retain a small level of hope that eventually these characters will be integrated. What about fans of characters like Starfire, Cassie Sandsmark, or any of the other characters who have been altered beyond recognition? There really isn't much hope there beyond hoping that eventually the DCU will return in some capacity at some point in time.
ImageImageImage

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:01 pm

Sakie wrote:Zechs, I have a question for you. Do you really want Cass or Steph to show up in the DCnU if that means that they will have to be DCnU versions of themselves? Say for instance that DC suddenly decides to bring these characters back but maybe Cass's history as you know it is completely erased and instead she is/was a teen prostitute who killed her pimp and went on the run. Instead of encountering Batman, she is taken in by Jason Todd, who decides to train her the same way that he was trained in the DCnU, and allow her to join the Outlaws as the Black Bat. Would that be a story that you really want to read? :smt102

Don't get me wrong, I miss characters like Wally West and I wouldn't mind having Stephanie Brown back. However, the longer the DCnU is around, the less appealing that universe becomes and the less interested I am in seeing what type of new and "improved" unfamiliar backstory these writers want to give to characters who I used to be interested in. Think about it from this perspective: If you are a fan of characters like Wally West, Donna Troy, Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, or any of the other characters who have yet to be introduced into the DCnU, then I guess you can still retain a small level of hope that eventually these characters will be integrated. What about fans of characters like Starfire, Cassie Sandsmark, or any of the other characters who have been altered beyond recognition? There really isn't much hope there beyond hoping that eventually the DCU will return in some capacity at some point in time.

It all depends really. There are pros and cons to whomever brings these characters back. But it doesn't help that much of the writing talent is lacking nowadays alas. What good writing DC does have it's overshadowed by this need of editorial feeling the need to that they themselves should intersected for some reason (see: Superman, Static Shock, Voodoo, Liefeld books etc.).

There's always a chance. If there's a new origin which I'd assume is an inevitability now that Lady Shredder (aka Nu Shiva) is introduced and editorial shot down Snyder using Cassandra in Batman #1 and #12 along with Morrison using her in Batman Inc #4 (though using her rogues is fine. Mixed message?)

Obviously DC won't go back. It's a "hit" for them. It be unheard of just to go back to the old way now.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Have you thought about using #freecass or a variant of that to promote your campaign on Twitter?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 399 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 pm

Sakie wrote:Zechs, I have a question for you. Do you really want Cass or Steph to show up in the DCnU if that means that they will have to be DCnU versions of themselves? Say for instance that DC suddenly decides to bring these characters back but maybe Cass's history as you know it is completely erased and instead she is/was a teen prostitute who killed her pimp and went on the run. Instead of encountering Batman, she is taken in by Jason Todd, who decides to train her the same way that he was trained in the DCnU, and allow her to join the Outlaws as the Black Bat. Would that be a story that you really want to read? :smt102

That's why I'm not really interested in seeing any more characters I like appear in the DCnU. These are nothing more than Elseworlds imposters.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Zechs wrote:It all depends really. There are pros and cons to whomever brings these characters back. But it doesn't help that much of the writing talent is lacking nowadays alas. What good writing DC does have it's overshadowed by this need of editorial feeling the need to that they themselves should intersected for some reason (see: Superman, Static Shock, Voodoo, Liefeld books etc.)

The biggest problem that I see with the books and characters that simply are not working, is that there is a reason why these characters worked in the first place and DC fundamentally changed that when they reintroduced them in the DCnU. I look at it this way: I like Superman and I have bought Superman comic books in the past. Just because I like the character and bought Superman books in the past doesn't mean that I had any interest in characters like Supreme, Mr. Majestic, and/or Gladiator. Yes, they are different characters than Superman but they are also very similar. The way that I see Superman now, is a version that would exist if DC lost the copyright to the character and he slipped into the realm of public domain. We are getting a similar character, with a similar supporting cast but not enough of the events of his history to make the character feel familiar and that is what I want when I read about the Man of Steel.

Obviously DC won't go back. It's a "hit" for them. It be unheard of just to go back to the old way now.

Eventually sales on all of the DCnU books will begin to fall below "acceptable" levels, DC will bring in "new" creative teams to stop the loss in sales, and they will come up with a plan to bring back the old continuity in some form. Hey, if Marvel can have the Ultimate universe and a single on-going title set in the Age of Apocalypse universe, then it isn't hard to imagine that somebody will eventually want to start writing on-going stories from the DCU and DC will allow them to do this because the demand will be large enough for them to view it as profitable. Until then, the money that I save each week from the DC titles that I no longer buy can be devoted towards some of the better Marvel NOW! titles as well as branching out into more of the indy comic book market.
ImageImageImage

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:01 pm

Sakie wrote:
The biggest problem that I see with the books and characters that simply are not working, is that there is a reason why these characters worked in the first place and DC fundamentally changed that when they reintroduced them in the DCnU. I look at it this way: I like Superman and I have bought Superman comic books in the past. Just because I like the character and bought Superman books in the past doesn't mean that I had any interest in characters like Supreme, Mr. Majestic, and/or Gladiator. Yes, they are different characters than Superman but they are also very similar. The way that I see Superman now, is a version that would exist if DC lost the copyright to the character and he slipped into the realm of public domain. We are getting a similar character, with a similar supporting cast but not enough of the events of his history to make the character feel familiar and that is what I want when I read about the Man of Steel.

Eventually sales on all of the DCnU books will begin to fall below "acceptable" levels, DC will bring in "new" creative teams to stop the loss in sales, and they will come up with a plan to bring back the old continuity in some form. Hey, if Marvel can have the Ultimate universe and a single on-going title set in the Age of Apocalypse universe, then it isn't hard to imagine that somebody will eventually want to start writing on-going stories from the DCU and DC will allow them to do this because the demand will be large enough for them to view it as profitable. Until then, the money that I save each week from the DC titles that I no longer buy can be devoted towards some of the better Marvel NOW! titles as well as branching out into more of the indy comic book market.

I wish I could share your optimism, but I don't see it. They are on this ship through thick and thin now.

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Zechs wrote:I wish I could share your optimism, but I don't see it. They are on this ship through thick and thin now.

I guess since my investment in the company is substantially less now than it was prior to the relaunch, I can afford to be slightly more optimistic about an eventual return of the DCU. I just know that the gang currently in charge won't be around forever and I would like to think that whoever comes after would rather play with the real toys from the toybox than the cheap knock-offs in the sandbox. :smt102
ImageImageImage

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Sakie wrote:
I guess since my investment in the company is substantially less now than it was prior to the relaunch, I can afford to be slightly more optimistic about an eventual return of the DCU. I just know that the gang currently in charge won't be around forever and I would like to think that whoever comes after would rather play with the real toys from the toybox than the cheap knock-offs in the sandbox. :smt102

Least you have an investment. I haven't bought a book from DC in two months and counting (I saw the Killing Joke scan from Batman Inc :P )..

sdsichero wrote:

Zechs...is...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand