Advertisement

Comics Pros React to Gail Simone Being Fired from Batgirl

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 120 posts

Re: Comics Pros React to Gail Simone Being Fired from Batgir

Postby doombug » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:01 pm

The Bass wrote:If you dont think I'm "sensible" - your words, because I don't like Bob Kirkman, or in this case, Gail Simone - you're an even bigger POS than I thought.

For the record - I don't mind Simone, I've met her, she was really nice, but all this nonsense could have been avoided if she did her job, and did the story her bosses wanted her to do. I hope you all remember that, when Tom DeFalco takes over the book.

you might be the thickest person i've ever interacted with in my life. :lol: :smt102

Advertisement

The Bass

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby The Bass » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:01 pm

Zechs wrote:
We call that a promotion.

Except where I come from, my boss, and several of the big Batman fans in the shop, always treat Detective as the bigger book, and flagship of DC Comics, given that the company is named after it. I realise thats pretty superficial, but thats how we treat it.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 67 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:03 pm

e_galston wrote:
really not that hard to expect that work to NEVER show up in print. Wasn't it just recently that someone had a falling out with DC, and their work on Fairest was pulled, even though it was started?

If I recall correctly, Chris Roberson already finished his scripts. DC just decided to not publish his story.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

The Bass

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby The Bass » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:06 pm

That was different circumstances- he attacked the company, and publicly yakked about how he wasn't interested in working for them anymore. DC were well within their rights to shove his crap in a drawer if he's going to do that - this is a case where DC editorial asked Simone to write in a specific direction, she refused, so, they'll get a writer who will. They haven't done anything really wrong. Firing someone by email is a little classless, but I'm a wresting fan. Bischoff used to fire people by Fed-Ex

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Mike Nelson@themikecnelson
9 Dec 12
@GailSimone did you not put enough women in refrigerators or something?
GailSimone@GailSimone
@themikecnelson Funny you should say that.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/09/ ... f-batgirl/

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Okay, well, if you read the news on Bleeding Cool, I unfortunately have the sad duty to confirm that it’s true. As of Wednesday of last week, I was informed by an email from my new editor that I am no longer the writer of Batgirl.

I cannot express my disappointment at this. I think everyone is aware how important Barbara Gordon is to me, and how important it is to me that her stories be told with respect and care, both for the character and the readers.

We tried our very best to do that, and it was an honor to write Barbara for these many years.

I have to thank the previous editors, the intelligent and classy Bobbie Chase, and the absolutely wonderful Brian Smith. I want to thank the rest of the bat-office writers and artists who never failed to be supportive and inspiring to work with. In particular, Scott Snyder has made a Herculean effort to support me, Batgirl, and the entire Bat-line, and I am proud to call him my friend.

I am in debt forever to the magnificent artists I’ve gotten to work with telling these stories. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Ardian, Ed, Daniel, Vincente, Admira, Stanley, and all the rest of you wonderful people I am too scattered right now to name. You guys have no idea how much joy your talents and craft have brought me. It’s absolutely humbling to work with people like you.

I want to thank DC for giving me the opportunity to write Barbara. When the new52 was announced, I was terrified that telling early stories of Barbara would mean completely invalidating her story as a disabled icon. We tried our best never to forget that, even when putting her back in the suit.

Very few writers are ever lucky enough to get to work in the bat-offices, it’s a rare honor and thrill and I absolutely loved it and will miss it terribly.

I am probably sounding a little bit maudlin right now, as I feel a genuine sense of loss. This wasn’t just another assignment to me.

When this was announced just a little while ago on bleedingcool.com, I confirmed it, and when I came back, my twitter feed was completely flooded by incredibly kind words.

So, while I am very sad right now and I won’t deny it, I have to say, I’m sure this sounds corny, but I feel very, very fortunate.

I have been lucky enough to live a dream that was too big for me to even think about as a child. I got to write Batgirl. When I was just a little kid, she was the first superhero I’d ever seen. A redhaired smart girl who could kick ass? It changed my life. And I grew up and got to write her. I wouldn’t be any happier if I’d won the lottery.

I still understand that not everyone was happy with the changes to her in the new52. But if it was going to happen, I wanted it to be done with honesty and care. And we produced a book that was a critical and commercial success. Twice in the past year we got raves from the New York Times. We had many sell-out issues. In short, I am very, very proud of what we’ve done.

But the reason I feel fortunate right now is you guys. Here’s where the corn level goes nuclear.

You guys have NO IDEA, no CONCEPTION AT ALL, how much you mean to me. The support on Twitter in the past hour was almost more than I could take, I had to stop reading because I was getting too choked up.

You guys have supported me and said kind things when I was low, and you let me know that fighting for things to get better was important and worth the effort, you made me laugh too many times to count, and you have added so much to my life I can’t even explain it.

Yes, I know this sounds corny, but it’s true and I can’t help it.

I thought I was going to be just hearbroken giving this news, and I definitely am, but the support from you guys and from the pro community is something very very special and I will cherish it.You guys made a rotten week much, much more bearable.

Thank you so, so much. And I wish the next team on Batgirl the very best of luck.

Gail

http://gailsimone.tumblr.com/post/37578 ... ridiculous

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:34 pm

I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Postby superfictious » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Classy message from Simone. I feel bad that things ended this way, even though I'm not as upset as other people that it happened through email (considering my last few jobs/assignments have been offered through email...just consider it the way the new age is).

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby doombug » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:37 pm

That's class right there.

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 27 posts

Postby Stalzer2002 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:46 pm

I hope that some of you who are complaining about DC's poor treatment of Simone will make the decision this Wednesday to stop supporting the company with your money. She's just the latest in a long line of creators treated reprehensibly by Didio, Harras and their cronies throughout their careers. She will not be the last if fans continue to enable them by buying DC Comics.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:52 pm

bkthomson wrote:
Classy Lady to the end.

"To the end?!" She's fired, not dead! :shock: :lol:
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 189 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:52 pm

Stalzer2002 wrote:I hope that some of you who are complaining about DC's poor treatment of Simone will make the decision this Wednesday to stop supporting the company with your money. She's just the latest in a long line of creators treated reprehensibly by Didio, Harras and their cronies throughout their careers. She will not be the last if fans continue to enable them by buying DC Comics.

Current books bought by DC = 0. But it's not just the creators, but also the poor way they're treating the properties they own as well.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:53 pm

Royal Nonesuch wrote:
"To the end?!" She's fired, not dead! :shock: :lol:

Time Warner can't have her bad mouthing the company in the weeks ahead. The black ops team has already been dispatched.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 189 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:56 pm

She is way too kind a person to say so many nice words for this. No burning bridges or just going nuts on Twitter. Just kindness.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 383 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:57 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
Time Warner can't have her bad mouthing the company in the weeks ahead. The black ops team has already been dispatched.

and the fridge is being bought now...

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand