Advertisement

Nightfly's TV Week in Review: Week of 12/2/12

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:50 pm

Nightfly highlights his favorite TV programs, film trailers, movie posters and more from the week of 12/2.

In another week of excellent primetime programming, I managed to watch a respectable forty-nine and a half hours of new TV, down just a bit from my previous week's total of fifty-one. Comprising last week's 49.5hr total were twelve hours of Reality Shows, ten hours of sitcoms (not counting teen shows), two and a half hours of teen sitcoms, and no less than twenty-five hour-long programs watched to bring you as full [of] a primetime plate as possible from which to judge.
FOX claimed top spots in both my Drama and Outstanding Sitcoms categories, the Disney Channel once again took my Teen Sitcoms crown, while former Governor Jesse Ventura surprisingly snagged the no.1 slot in my favorite Reality Shows section for his latest Conspiracy Theory episode (investigating billionaire space expert Robert Bigelow's connection to the US gov't) on truTV.

We're entering another fairly full week of new network programming so that's something fun to look forward to for TV fanatics like me.

Now please take a look at my preferred recommendations from last week's primetime TV...

Hour-Long Scripted Dramas -
7. Arrow - "Vendetta" (CW) {Producer's Promo}
6. Nikita - "Sideswipe" (CW)
5. The Walking Dead - "Made to Suffer" (AMC)
4. Boardwalk Empire - "Margate Sands" (HBO) {Inside the Episode}
3. Glee - "Swan Song" (FOX) {Lea Michele's "Being Good" excerpted}
2. Once Upon a Time - "Queen of Hearts" (ABC)
1. Bones - "The Ghost in the Machine" (FOX)

Runners-Up:
1. Dexter - "The Dark... Whatever" (SHO) {With the Creators}
2. Homeland - "Broken Hearts" (SHO) {With the Creators}
3. Leverage - "The White Rabbit Job" (TNT)
4. Hawaii Five-O - "Ha'awe Make Loa" (CBS)
5. Hart of Dixie - "Sparks Fly" (CW)
6. Grey's Anatomy - "Love Turns You Upside Down" (ABC)

--------------------------------

Outstanding Sitcoms -
5. New Girl - "Bathtub" (FOX)
4. How I Met Your Mother - "Lobster Crawl" (CBS)
3. Don't Trust the B---- in Apt.23 - "Whatever It Takes" (ABC)
2. Parks and Recreation - "Ron and Diane" (NBC)
1. Raising Hope - "Squeak Means Squeak" (FOX)

Runners-Up:
1. Ben and Kate - "The Trip" (FOX)
2. The Office - "Dwight Christmas" (NBC)
3. 2 Broke Girls - "And the New Boss" (CBS)

Favorite Guest Star of the Week:
Jim Beaver on Dexter (SHO)

Runners-Up:
C. Thomas Howell on Hawaii Five-O (CBS)
Michael Madsen on The Mob Doctor (FOX)
Olivia Munn on New Girl (FOX)
Cyndi Lauper on Bones (FOX)

Teen Sitcoms -
4. How to Rock - "How to Rock Christmas" (nick)
3. Victorious - "One Thousand Berry Balls" (nick)
2. Austin & Ally & Jessie All-Star New Year (Disney)
1. Shake It Up - "Merry Merry It Up" (Disney)

Reality Shows -
7. Ice Loves Coco - "Baby Got Super Powers" (E!)
6. Toy Hunter - "Comic Con NYC" (TRVL)
5. The Voice - "Live Results Show" (NBC)
4. Top Gear - "Best of '11-'12" (BBC-America)
3. Oliver Stone's Untold History of the United States - "Cold War: Truman, Wallace, Stalin, Churchill & The Bomb" (SHO)
2. The Voice - "Live Top 6 Performances" (NBC)
1. Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura - "Skinwalker" (truTV)

In this past week I discovered cool posters for eight (8) upcoming films and new trailers for fifteen (15).
The one-sheets I've chosen to feature will probably surprise some folks. Readers likely expected me to highlight the new posters for Star Trek Into Darkness and Man of Steel but I'm assuming that the people that read my column have already seen those. If you haven't seen 'em yet, check out OH!'s coverage of Star Trek's one-sheet here and Man of Steel's less-than-sharp poster here. The striking pair I'm spotlighting this week are for Tom Cruise's Oblivion and the Brazilian poster for Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. Additional new posters worthy of note include four character sheets for Beautiful Creatures (here and here), international posters for G.I. Joe: Retaliation 3D and Stoker, as well as a handsome new one-sheet for Pain & Gain.

The most talked about trailer from last week was undoubtedly for Star Trek Into Darkness. So, again, rather than embedding that preview - which most everyone's probably already seen - I'll just link to it here, along with a frame-by-frame analysis worth checking out here. From last week's batch of new trailers, the non-Trek two that most captured my imagination were for Oblivion and Jet Li's The Sorcerer and the White Snake, both of which also have international trailers online that you can find here and here. Second trailers came out for Jack Reacher, Dave Grohl's Sound City, The Croods and Warm Bodies, and, a third one hit the net for Storage 24. Other trailers hitting the web were for Overtime, The ABCs of Death, Decay, Officer Down and Showrunners: A Documentary Film (which you can help co-produce here), you can also find the Japanese trailer for Iron Man 3 (with new footage) here.

If, like me, you're a fan of Brigitte Dale you've hopefully been following her latest internet series titled Advice On Demand, in which she answers viewer's questions and recommends the best movies coming to streaming video each week. Her most recent entry, released last week, is just the third Advice On Demand installment so far. Marvel Entertainment produces an informative (roughly) bi-weekly web report called The Watcher hosted by Lorraine Cink that put out its lastest entry last week, Episode #27, covering some exciting current and upcoming developments from the various multimedia universes of the House of Ideas. My favorite IGN offerings, Cheap Cool Crazy hosted by Naomi Kyle and Jessica Chobot's Mix'd Reviews & Weekly 'Wood are always favorite recommendations, and, you can also hear The Nightwatchman himself, rocker Tom Morello, answering another round of fan questions in The Nightwatchman Speaks #46 here. Gamers who appreciate sexy ladies should take a minute to preview Maxim TV's new ad for Xbox owners in this NSFW promo here.
Lastly, those who can't wait until Game of Thrones returns to HBO in March will defintely want to see the lastest S3 production featurette below.

Please take a moment to vote for your favorite drama from last week in this entry's poll and, as always, Have a Great Week, Be Well and Happy Viewing!

There is a poll on the front page. Please visit this article at the link below to vote.

Written or Contributed by Nightfly

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Psivage
FROGMAN

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: shake it baby, shake it good!
Formerly: Cat-Psivage

Re: Nightfly's TV Week in Review: Week of 12/2/12

Postby Psivage » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:12 pm

That girl can't sing.

both made by Cat-Scratch

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 38 posts
Title: ライダー変身!
Formerly: beta-ray

Re: Nightfly's TV Week in Review: Week of 12/2/12

Postby sdsichero » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:59 pm

A lot of Oblivion (based on a grahic novel by Joseph Kosinski who directed Tron: Legacy) does look like Tron. Aside from that, looking at the craft Cruise uses, I want (even MORE) a Micronauts movie.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum