Advertisement

TV: What Are You Watching in Primetime 12/15/2012?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 241 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:06 am

Let us know what you'll be watching in our Primetime TV Poll for Saturday 12/15

Welcome to The Outhouse's Primetime TV Poll of *new* shows (and movies) for 12/15/2012.

Please vote for each individual show you plan to watch. You can vote for as many programs as you intend to (eventually) see via VOD, online or live.

Tonight look for series premieres on WeTV, OWN and the Science Channel, a season premiere on FOX, and, season finales on WeTV and FX.

There is a poll on the front page. Please visit this article at the link below to vote.

Written or Contributed by Nightfly

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 404 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: TV: What Are You Watching in Primetime 12/15/2012?

Postby Amoebas » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:13 am

So Fly, you've shot down a few times my request for shows like Stewart, Colbert, Ferguson, Letterman, Fallon, Kimmel, Conan, etc to be in your daily poll for a number of reasons, one being that they are not 'prime time'.

So what's Saturday Night Live doing in today's poll? The show that brags that they are "not ready for prime time".

Is it because they are a "variety" show and not a fake news/talk show? If so then why do the Emmy's include them together in "Outstanding Variety Show"? All the above mentioned shows do skits, have fake news, have musical acts, etc. What makes SNL so special? (or the other after 11pm shows you have listed today?)

Is it because it's "Saturday" and "Saturday" gets an an exemption from the rest of the week?

If so, you list two shows today (Rove LA & First Look) that are on Sunday not Saturday. Sure, it's the same 'viewing cycle', but then so are the weekly late nighters.
Hey, it's your poll, you can run it anyway you want (likewise I can participate any way I want (if I even if I want to)). But if your goal with these threads is to really survey what people here are watching why not have some logic to it?

If it's Prime Time, then it should be Prime Time. If it gets extended for some not PT shows it should be available for other not PT shows - especially for shows that would actually be watched (unlike a majority of the options you list daily).

One of the first lessons about TV is that you should cater to your audience (whether that's right or wrong is easily debatable). The Outhouse probably isn't the place to see if anyone is going to watch the Style channel or Oprah's channel. BK mentioned before about whittling away the obvious rejects (and adding them back in if they are entered by individuals). I second that recommendation.

End note - I really do like the polls (hell, most days I think it's just the two of us who participate) and the entertainment extension you bring to the Outhouse and this post isn't intended to be negative.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby Nightfly » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Amoebas wrote:So Fly, you've shot down a few times my request for shows like Stewart, Colbert, Ferguson, Letterman, Fallon, Kimmel, Conan, etc to be in your daily poll for a number of reasons, one being that they are not 'prime time'.

So what's Saturday Night Live doing in today's poll? The show that brags that they are "not ready for prime time".

Is it because they are a "variety" show and not a fake news/talk show? If so then why do the Emmy's include them together in "Outstanding Variety Show"? All the above mentioned shows do skits, have fake news, have musical acts, etc. What makes SNL so special? (or the other after 11pm shows you have listed today?)

Is it because it's "Saturday" and "Saturday" gets an an exemption from the rest of the week?

If so, you list two shows today (Rove LA & First Look) that are on Sunday not Saturday. Sure, it's the same 'viewing cycle', but then so are the weekly late nighters.
Hey, it's your poll, you can run it anyway you want (likewise I can participate any way I want (if I even if I want to)). But if your goal with these threads is to really survey what people here are watching why not have some logic to it?

If it's Prime Time, then it should be Prime Time. If it gets extended for some not PT shows it should be available for other not PT shows - especially for shows that would actually be watched (unlike a majority of the options you list daily).

One of the first lessons about TV is that you should cater to your audience (whether that's right or wrong is easily debatable). The Outhouse probably isn't the place to see if anyone is going to watch the Style channel or Oprah's channel. BK mentioned before about whittling away the obvious rejects (and adding them back in if they are entered by individuals). I second that recommendation.

End note - I really do like the polls (hell, most days I think it's just the two of us who participate) and the entertainment extension you bring to the Outhouse and this post isn't intended to be negative.

I don't restrict poll contents based on votes received because not everyone who may look at and/or benefit from the poll actually votes in it. Just as one cannot tailor their written articles just to readers that participate via comments.

I don't include news talk or late nite talk because they're on year round and (essentially) every weeknite. I can't imagine anyone needs these polls to remind them that Bill O'Reilly, Chris Matthews, Letterman or Jon Stewart or Leno have a show on each weeknite.

I include channels such as OWN or Style for the (non-voting) females who might occasionally view front page articles, or at least the tv polls. Just because there aren't a lot of active females in the OH community doesn't mean I want to ignore their potential interests or their types of programs. Not to mention the fact that there have been series on OWN, Style and similar networks that I, myself, have watched.

I have started including post-primetime (and rarely a few pre-primetime) shows but only ones that aren't on every day. I include SNL because it's only on once per week.

Given the above parameters I try to include as many new shows for each nite as possible. There are lots of sites that limit their polls to 10 or 20 network favorites but I think my broadly comprehensive approach is what sets our polls apart from the rest.
It would actually be much easier for me (as in less work) to only list the primetime programming of the most popular networks but instead I've decided to go as opposite to that as I can.

Neither The Outhouse nor any polling firms I'm aware are actually researching or collecting our poll data. I don't generate them to actually track which shows are most popular - rather I consider them a helpful reminder of programs that're on each nite, particularly regarding premieres and finales. I'm mainly trying to help readers, even non-voters, avoid missing primetime (or near primetime) programs that they'd want to watch by offering a handy, daily guide/reminder.
Follow me on Twitter for Entertainment news updates!
You have all the weapons you need... Now Fight!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:01 pm

So the poll is only part poll and part information so people can see what is on tonight. Okay - then don't you think it would be nice to inform people on who the guests are on the late nighters? You do for SNL.

For instance - I know I would love to know if a band or actor I like was going to be on Kimmel (a show I don't watch).

But if you feel the Outhouse is better served with a listing for Oprah's latest whatever or TLC's latest howlowcantheysinkamajig, well, goody for you.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:19 am

Amoebas wrote:So the poll is only part poll and part information so people can see what is on tonight. Okay - then don't you think it would be nice to inform people on who the guests are on the late nighters? You do for SNL.

For instance - I know I would love to know if a band or actor I like was going to be on Kimmel (a show I don't watch).

But if you feel the Outhouse is better served with a listing for Oprah's latest whatever or TLC's latest howlowcantheysinkamajig, well, goody for you.

Actually I think your idea could be "nice." Since you're clearly interested in that topic I suggest you create a separate Late Nighters poll where you can do just that (every nite).
Passive Aggressive insults aside, you should do what motivates you and I'll continue doing what motivates me.

I suspect your idea would be a smashing success!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:05 am

Nightfly wrote:Actually I think your idea could be "nice." Since you're clearly interested in that topic I suggest you create a separate Late Nighters poll where you can do just that (every nite).
Passive Aggressive insults aside, you should do what motivates you and I'll continue doing what motivates me.

I suspect your idea would be a smashing success!

Nah - I like my idea better.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Amoebas wrote:Nah - I like my idea better.

While I totally support your Late Nighters idea, I'm (truthfully) no more interested in pursuing it than you apparently are.
I must admit that, as concerned with the OH community being served as you seemingly are, your unwillingness to act on your own good idea surprises me. :?

Of course your suggestions (and even complaints) regarding my efforts are always welcomed and appreciated.
:-)

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:20 pm

Amoebas this is Nightfly's vanity TV poll you just have to accept it is more about what he likes not what everyone else who is marketing to this site would like.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:51 pm

bkthomson wrote:Amoebas this is Nightfly's vanity TV poll you just have to accept it is more about what he likes not what everyone else who is marketing to this site would like.

who are these everyone elses who're marketing to this site? please be specific?
I'm happy to end the vanity. You guys can manage the poll anyway you'd like.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:54 pm

Nightfly wrote:who are these everyone elses who're marketing to this site? please be specific?
I'm happy to end the vanity. You guys can manage the poll anyway you'd like.

We do not market this site to Opra fans, Nightfly.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Nightfly
Staff Writer

Postby Nightfly » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:02 pm

bkthomson wrote:
We do not market this site to Opra fans, Nightfly.

message received. problem solved.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum