Advertisement

Top 10: Best books I've read in 2012

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 165 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:08 am

The end of the world is just around the corner and the year coming to a close. Its time to list the top 10 books I've read (for the first time) this year.
My reads that is :)

Here is the first RGN Top 10 list.

Underwater Welder

10 - Underwater Welder

I'm not a big Lemire fan but I do enjoy most of his work. I picked this up on a whim, based only on a couple of online reviews. I'm glad I did. Its a wonderful story of a soon to be dad that as to come to terms with is own daddy issues. The B&W art helps to build the mild craziness of the story.

Not reviewed yet.

SCUD

9 - SCUD the Disposable Assassin, The Whole Shebang

I was introduced to this book in the forums of The Outhouse and immediately ordered it. This collected the full run of the book plus a few extras. The story is funny, crazy and heavy on randomness. Its a entertaining book that keeps you reading until your arms hurt from holding this behemoth of a book.

You can check out the review here.

Doctor Strange

8 - Doctor Strange A Separate Reality

Magic themed comic books are, usually, very close to my heart, especially the older ones. It took me a couple of months but as soon as I was able to find an affordable copy of this book I took it. It didn't let me down at all. Everything I like of these older magic themed books is here. Magic with imagination coupled with an exciting story and little space for Harry Potter length plots.

Eventually it will get reviewed.

Wolverine and the X-Men

7 - Wolverine and the X-Men Volume 1

In the last couple of years I've been drifting away from superhero comics. When this came out the reviews here great and all had a similar topic "this isn't your typical superhero book". That was enough to get me reconnected with these familiar characters.

It is indeed a different book. Its funny and fresh and loose with the continuity. And most of all, it shakes the status quo. I was hooked from the get go.

This book was one of the first reviews on RGN and can be found here.

Freakangels

6 - Freakangels Volume 6

Warren Ellis is one of my favorite comic book writer and Freakangels is in my top 10 Ellis books. This 6th volume marked the end of this saga. It answered all the lingering questions of this Universe. Who, why and how did the world as we know it ended? Are the Freakangels immortal? And so on. This book brings closure to this journey.

Sadly I haven't got around to reviewing any of the Freakangels book. Maybe I'll do a full run review.

Off Road

5 - Off Road

After I read Joe the Barbarian late last year I was instantly in love with Sean Murphy's art and had to have more of it. Made a little research and found this little graphic novel about three friends that have different issues to work out.

Off Road is a great little book about friendship, fathers and coming of age.

Check out the review here.

Channel Zero

4 - Channel Zero

Up until Channel Zero Brian Wood was one of my favorite writers I never read.

Channel Zero is the first published work of Brian Wood and like he says in the extras he is not ashamed of it. And he shouldn't. In fact he should be proud.

This is a mix of punk cyber fight against the Machine and the oppression / liberation that the Media can impose on the people. Its a great read, even if you don't agree with Wood's POV on politics and personal freedoms.

I've been trying to review this for weeks and failing miserably. Maybe 2013 will bring me the much needed inspiration.

Saga

3 - Saga Volume 1

All over the internet Saga is being labeled as a Space Opera. Its not incorrect. It surely seem to be getting the scope for it, even if there is only three or four stories outside the main story line.

Saga is a love story. Love between the Marko, Alana and their baby girl. Marko and Alana are cough between a galaxy wide war between their respective races. They fall in love and decide to leave the war behind them and live a peaceful life. The only problem is that the war isn't going to let that happen.

Check the review here.

Fear Agent

2 - Fear Agent Volume 6

This book marks the end of one of the best Sci-Fi books in the last years. And what a journey it was!

Worldly invasions, time travel, galactic genocide and a great deal of misadventures is what you can find in the 6 volumes (7 if you count Tales of the Fear Agent) that tell the tale of Heathrow Hudson the last of the Fear Agents.

Like Freakangels this will, probably, get a run review somewhere in time.

Infinite Kung Fu

1 - Infinite Kung Fu

Infinite Kung Fu takes the number one spot because it was the book that most amazed me. I had little to none expectations and was completely sweep off my feet by it. Kagan Mcleod does a great job in recreating the feel of the old martial arts movies. Like SCUD, this is a behemoth. 400+ pages of top notch sequential art, that is hard to read in lengthy stretches due to its weight, but very much worth it.

This one is in my to review list since the first day of RGN, but I haven't been able to do it justice. But it will be reviewed. Stay tuned for 2013.

Here is what I read this year and loved. What are your preferences?

Originally Published at Reading Graphic Novels http://readinggraphicnovels.blogspot.com/2012/12/top-10-best-books-ive-read-in-2012.html

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Top 10: Best books I've read in 2012

Postby Keb » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:34 am

Don't know if I have ten but the best books I read this year are (in no order):

Elephantmen v0-3
Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus v1-3 and 4 is on it's way
Los Angeles Ink Stains
Manhattan Projects v1
Casanova v3

Got Saga coming in the mail and judging from the first issue that I read last night it will probably make the list.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 am

Keb wrote:Don't know if I have ten but the best books I read this year are (in no order):

Elephantmen v0-3
Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus v1-3 and 4 is on it's way
Los Angeles Ink Stains
Manhattan Projects v1
Casanova v3

Got Saga coming in the mail and judging from the first issue that I read last night it will probably make the list.

I've heard great things about Elephant Men. Have to give it a try.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 am

It's a good read. Probably one of the most slept on books by people.

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 74 posts

Postby dairydead » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:59 am

Unfortunately i wasn't able to buy a lot of comics this year, but i thoroughly enjoyed every single bit of Wolverine and the Xmen. such a fantastic book.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Uncanny X-Force and Saga are my two hands-down favorite. I was never disappointed with either!

Parker: The Score, Get Jiro, and Green River Killer (Yes, I know it came out in 2011) were some of my favorite graphic novels.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:Uncanny X-Force and Saga are my two hands-down favorite. I was never disappointed with either!

Parker: The Score, Get Jiro, and Green River Killer (Yes, I know it came out in 2011) were some of my favorite graphic novels.

I was.going to get.Get Jiro but most reviews are average só i didnt. What dId you Love about it?

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 pm

covalesky wrote:
I was.going to get.Get Jiro but most reviews are average só i didnt. What dId you Love about it?

Well, I'm an Anthony Bourdain fan, so I was predisposed to like the writing. He's a very polarizing figure--either you love him or you hate him--so that should be a good hint as to whether you'll enjoy the story.

The real sell here is the art. Langdon Foss' art looks a lot like Geoff Darrow's, and Bourdain gives him lots of Mad Max-y, postapocalyptic stuff to draw. When rich, vibrant colors are added to the mix, that just makes the book look even better!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:00 pm

Infinite Kung Fu doesn't play around. Great graphic novel and probably the closest thing to a kung fu film in sequential art.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Saga
The Unwritten
The Manhattan Projects
The Sixth Gun
The Fantastic Four/FF
Scalped
The New Deadwardians
Goliath
The Walking Dead
Fables

Hab

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:03 pm

GLX wrote:Infinite Kung Fu doesn't play around. Great graphic novel and probably the closest thing to a kung fu film in sequential art.

Thats the main thing that got me hooked on the book. The dynamic of the fights. Didn't thought possible for a kung fu movie to be adapted to comics with that degree of success.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:05 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Well, I'm an Anthony Bourdain fan, so I was predisposed to like the writing. He's a very polarizing figure--either you love him or you hate him--so that should be a good hint as to whether you'll enjoy the story.

The real sell here is the art. Langdon Foss' art looks a lot like Geoff Darrow's, and Bourdain gives him lots of Mad Max-y, postapocalyptic stuff to draw. When rich, vibrant colors are added to the mix, that just makes the book look even better!

I'm a fan of mister Bourdain's show also. Have to rethink my position on Get Jiro.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby UnionJack » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Daredevil
Walking Dead
Conan the Barbarian
Punisher
All-Star Western
Hulk (Red)
The Shadow
Earth 2
Journey into Mystery
Swamp Thing

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:07 pm

habitual wrote:Saga
The Unwritten
The Manhattan Projects
The Sixth Gun
The Fantastic Four/FF
Scalped
The New Deadwardians
Goliath
The Walking Dead
Fables

Hab

Cool list. The 6th Gun fought The Underwater Welder for the last place, and lost by a millimeter.

NuggetFiend
Whale Castrato

Liked in: 0 post

Postby NuggetFiend » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:10 pm

best:
sixth gun
scalped
invincible
severed
american vampire
unwritten