Advertisement

Keith Giffen Talks "Threshold" and Captain K'Rot

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts

Keith Giffen Talks "Threshold" and Captain K'Rot

Postby LOLtron » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:58 am

Keith Giffen Talks

Giffen pays tongue-in-cheek homage to Captain Carrot

Source: Newsarama

In DC’s March solicitations the cover and description for Giffen's Threshold #3 features a character called "Captain K'Rot." The new character is Keith Giffen's way of paying tongue-in-cheek homage to Captain Carrot, the star of the humor-filled '80s comic Captain Carrot and His Amazing Zoo Crew

Giffen claims he's not trying to make Threshold "gritty"... but is instead trying to make the comic more "fun." And that's his goal — how to get comics back to being "fun."  

Giffen adds that he's also trying to add "fun" to Legion of Super-Heroes, which he's co-creating with Paul Levitz beginning in March. 

Spinning out of next month's Green Lantern: New Guardians Annual #1 and the final issues of DC's canceled Blue Beetle title, Threshold is a new space-based comic Giffen is launching in January with artists Tom Raney and Scott Kolins. It will also have back-up stories by Giffen and Kolins that feature Larfleeze, the Orange Lantern from DC's Green Lantern stories.

“The Hunted”, the main story by Giffen and Raney, will feature Jediah Caul, a new Green Lantern who meets and teams up with several revamped DC characters — including Giffen's version of the Omega Men, Blue Beetle, Space Ranger, Lady Styx, DC's original Starfire, Space Cabbie, Star Hawkins, and dozens of others. And Captain K'Rot.  The name is actually pronounced "Kuh-ROT."

Does this mean that the former Captain Carrot and his furry crew don't still exist on another NuDC Earth-26 ? Not necessarily. Giffen is merely introducing what he calls a "new character with a familiar name." Giffen admits he added a little bit of Lobo to K'Rot's design, but he cautions that fans of other Giffen-created characters like Lobo or Rocket Raccoon should not expect the same type of story from Captain K'Rot and his co-stars in Threshold. "Threshold is not Annihilation or Guardians of the Galaxy," Giffen said. "This is a different type of character."

Captain K’Rot first appears in issue #2 with his big moments in issue #3, #4 and #5. Giffen hopes he'll be one of the breakaway characters from Threshold.

Giffen just loves the idea of taking a rabbit, which is this cute little pink-nosed, wonderful furry thing, and just laying a little bit of Lobo over the top of it. Who doesn’t love a psychotic, booze-swilling rabbit ?

And then he and artist Tom Raney decided, oh, yeah, he has to have the artificial leg because he's like Captain Ahab (from Moby Dick). He's hunting down the man who took his foot for luck.  So in Threshold we're going to introduce characters and really play around with space in the DCU.  Comic books are supposed to be big and loud and bombastic and fun.”

Below check out the cover to Threshold #3, on sale March 13,  along with interior art from “The Hunted”. 

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: Keith Giffen Talks

Postby Herald » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:57 pm

LOLtron wrote:Giffen admits he added a little bit of Lobo to K'Rot's design, but he cautions that fans of other Giffen-created characters like Lobo or Rocket Raccoon should not expect the same type of story from Captain K'Rot and his co-stars in Threshold.

Rrrrrrrright, Keith.

When you hype up a character with lines like "Look, everyone loves a psychotic, booze-swilling rabbit", how is this NOT just Lobo with long ears?? :roll:

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Because this sounds more like Wolverine with long ears :groucho:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:28 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Because this sounds more like Wolverine with long ears :groucho:

Lobo is in part a Wolverine parody. :P

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:46 pm

Herald wrote:
Rrrrrrrright, Keith.

When you hype up a character with lines like "Look, everyone loves a psychotic, booze-swilling rabbit", how is this NOT just Lobo with long ears?? :roll:

The same way Rocket Raccoon is not Lobo :roll:

Hab

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:54 pm

habitual wrote:
The same way Rocket Raccoon is not Lobo :roll:

Hab

Rocket Raccoon is psychotic and booze-swilling??

And does he womanize as well?? Giffen promises womanizing from "K'Rot", just like Lobo does.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:00 pm

Herald wrote:
Rocket Raccoon is psychotic and booze-swilling??

And does he womanize as well?? Giffen promises womanizing from "K'Rot", just like Lobo does.

Yes, he's all of those things!

Hab

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:14 pm

habitual wrote:
Yes, he's all of those things!

Hab

Really?? You'd think his entry at the Marvel Wikia would mention such things.
http://marvel.wikia.com/Rocket_Raccoon_%28Earth-616%29

And Rocket Raccoon is "fearless, loyal, and insightful"??

Lobo's shaking his head. The Main Man is fearless, sure... but "loyal"?? HA! Lobo's "loyalties" are to whoever's paying him at the time, and end the second he receives the creds for a job well done. Just ask Vril Dox about what it takes to retain Lobo as an ally for any period of time! And "insightful"?? Lobo's rarely ever that!

"Sorry, fanboy, but yer pet rat FAILS the Lobo Test!
Feetal's gizz, I bet he don't even frag people fer FUN!!"

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 21 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:03 pm

I was in the moment they said Giffen.

I'm even more in after this interview. I love that K'Rot only has one foot! :lol:

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Herald wrote:
Really?? You'd think his entry at the Marvel Wikia would mention such things.
http://marvel.wikia.com/Rocket_Raccoon_%28Earth-616%29

And Rocket Raccoon is "fearless, loyal, and insightful"??

Lobo's shaking his head. The Main Man is fearless, sure... but "loyal"?? HA! Lobo's "loyalties" are to whoever's paying him at the time, and end the second he receives the creds for a job well done. Just ask Vril Dox about what it takes to retain Lobo as an ally for any period of time! And "insightful"?? Lobo's rarely ever that!

"Sorry, fanboy, but yer pet rat FAILS the Lobo Test!
Feetal's gizz, I bet he don't even frag people fer FUN!!"

Rightttt....... :roll: Because I'm sure Wikipedia compares all characters to Lobo.

It's Giffen, it'll be good.

Hab

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:51 pm

habitual wrote:
Rightttt....... :roll: Because I'm sure Wikipedia compares all characters to Lobo.

I didn't cite Wikipedia; I cited the Marvel Wikia.

It's Giffen, it'll be good.

Tell that to anyone who likes Karate Kid. :P

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 pm

Herald wrote:
I didn't cite Wikipedia; I cited the Marvel Wikia.

Tell that to anyone who likes Karate Kid. :P

So no one?

If anyone has a shoot at reinvigorating the Legion it's Giffen.

Hab

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Postby Herald » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:06 pm

habitual wrote:
So no one?

Nacireman was plenty upset anytime I mentioned it over on his Legion thread.

If anyone has a shoot at reinvigorating the Legion it's Giffen.

Tell that to the people who didn't like the TMK era. :P

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:31 pm

Herald wrote:
Nacireman was plenty upset anytime I mentioned it over on his Legion thread.

Tell that to the people who didn't like the TMK era. :P

Nacireman will NEVER be happy with Legion, so I stand by my original statement: no one.

Hab

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:36 pm

But you see, with Threshold, I'm trying desperately to have fun. Comic books are supposed to be fun. Comic books are supposed to be big and loud and bombastic and fun.

I don't want to do European style comic books. I want to do good, old-fashioned American comic books. And I'm not saying that out of some desire to be patriotic or something. No. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with what we were doing in this country with comic books. Alright, maybe they didn't appeal to adults. But they were big and just a lot of fun.

Nrama: And you want to get back to that.

Giffen: Yeah, I just want to get back to it.

So yeah, we've got Captain K'Rot and Stealth, and lots of other revamped and new characters coming up in Threshold — and in the Legion of Super-Heroes, come to think of it.

And they're there, just to hopefully tell a fun story with a lot of spectacle in it. And some character moments. I want to get comics back to being action-packed enjoyment.

Somebody said to me at one point — and I don't remember who — we've got film directors doing comic book movies who are trying desperately to work their budget around to get one more action beat in there, one more big moment. But in comics, we've almost gone in the opposite direction, where we've got characters just sitting around and talking.

Nrama: And comics have, basically, unlimited budgets for action scenes.

Giffen: Yes! Exactly! Hollywood still hasn't figured out Galactus yet. That's the idea. You know?

I don't want to make comics that are movie-friendly. I don't want to make comic books that are TV friendly. I don't want to say, "oh, I'll design the costumes so it will look good when Ashton Kutcher wears it."

I want to do comic books where they have a look at it and go, "well, it's popular, and we'd like to do a movie about it, but how are we going to figure this out?"

So in Threshold we're going to introduce characters and have fun with characters and really play around with space in the DCU.

He's got a point about the state of American comics.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand