Tuesday, May 31, 2016 • Morning Edition • "The CBR of comic book journalism."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Thunderbolts #2 Flaunts Gratuitious Boobage For No Reason

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:00 pm

Thunderbolts #2 Flaunts Gratuitious Boobage For No Reason

It's believed that writer Daniel Way is fighting back against the recent push against needless sexualization in comics.

Source: Marvel

Have you been disappointed by the recent calls to do away with the gross sexualization of comic book characters?  Do books featuring well-rounded female characters like Batgirl or Captain Marvel make you mad?  Luckily, Daniel Way, Steve Dillon and Marvel want you to know that they're still making comics for you.

In a preview released for Thunderbolts #2, the publisher showcased a scene in which Elektra unzips a full body scuba suit down to her navel, partially exposing her EE sized boobs, before drawing swords in preparation to attack some military goons.  

"We really wanted to give the pervs a reason to read the book," said a fictitious Daniel Way, when asked about the incredibly unnecessary panel. "'Cause story wise, we got nothing."

Fictitious Steve Dillon elaborated as to why he chose to include a scene of a female character undressing. "Well, Daniel had put in the script that Elektra would be running around with her boobs out for most of the issue," he said.  "And I really wanted to dedicate a panel to give readers a reason why she was partially undressed.  And that reason ended up being...BOOBS!"

Way added that he hoped the book would become a rallying cry for those who wanted to see more boobs and less characterization for their comic dollar. "Our character arc for Elektra has her slowly speaking and wearing less as time goes on. It's sort of a deconstruction of the modern comic book industry. It's my Watchmen!"

Marvel refused to acknowledge that the scene was gratuitous, noting that none of their editors seemed to know what the word meant.  However, it did release a preemptive statement for those upset by the depiction of Elektra in the book.   "In our defense, we tried to warn readers how terrible it would be by printing Way's name on the cover," an official spokesperson said.  "They're not allowed to get mad if they choose to read it."

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Herald

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Herald » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:03 pm

How disappointing.
I expected the panel in question to be MUCH better, given the buildup! :P

Rikk Odinson

Society Member

Postby Rikk Odinson » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Herald wrote:How disappointing.

Verily. :evil:

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Herald wrote:How disappointing.

The article didn't have a happy ending, amirite?

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:16 pm

You guys should try Zenescope.

Rikk Odinson

Society Member

Postby Rikk Odinson » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:18 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:You guys should try Zenescope.

Nay. Mine needs are quite well met with the X-Babes.

DMM

Rain Partier

Postby DMM » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:33 pm

:lol:

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:55 pm

Rikk Odinson wrote:
Nay. Mine needs are quite well met with the X-Babes.

At first I thought you were referring to the X-Babies.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:08 pm

OMIGOD that is some hideous digitally-created mess.

Whoever did that spent too much time on the gradation effects in the backgrounds and clothing and not enough time on the panel compositions and rendering, or even where the light sources for all that shiny are coming from at what looks to me like dusk. You people don't really pay them to make that, do you?

Bonus question: Why is Elektra holding a knife to her own throat? She catch a glimpse of that man-face in the mirror or something?

BlueStreak

The Red Stands for Irony

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:OMIGOD that is some hideous digitally-created mess.

Whoever did that spent too much time on the gradation effects in the backgrounds and clothing and not enough time on the panel compositions and rendering. You people don't really pay them to make that, do you?

Bonus question: Why is Elektra holding a knife to her own throat? She catch a glimpse of that man-face in the mirror or something?

Why are you taunting the hard work of junior intern Vlad Kozinkerkov?

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:23 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Bonus question: Why is Elektra holding a knife to her own throat? She catch a glimpse of that man-face in the mirror or something?

Or she's getting ready to commit Seppuku because Marvel notified her that she's taking over Black Widow's previous role as Gratuitously Unzipped Female Guest-Star.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:31 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Or she's getting ready to commit Seppuku because Marvel notified her that she's taking over Black Widow's previous role as Gratuitously Unzipped Female Guest-Star.
BlueMole wrote:
Why are you taunting the hard work of junior intern Vlad Kozinkerkov?

Seriously, I am more and more impressed by what they used to achieve with a four color process on newsprint every time I see pages like that. The panel compositions remind me a lot of a Mr T coloring book I have around here somewhere too.

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:12 pm

one of the worst books i've ever looked at. this makes austen look like genius.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:OMIGOD that is some hideous digitally-created mess.

Whoever did that spent too much time on the gradation effects in the backgrounds and clothing and not enough time on the panel compositions and rendering, or even where the light sources for all that shiny are coming from at what looks to me like dusk. You people don't really pay them to make that, do you?

Do you mean color composition? I don't think the illustrator and the colorist are the same person. I could be wrong though.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:08 am

sdsichero wrote:
Do you mean color composition? I don't think the illustrator and the colorist are the same person. I could be wrong though.

You're right, it takes a village to make pages that fugly.

leave a comment with facebook