Advertisement

Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited Coming to Android Too!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 244 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:44 am

Marvel's netflix-like digital comics subscription service, already in beta for iOS, will be making its way to android devices soon!

Earlier this week, we reported on the new iOS beta for Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited, the Netflix-like subscription service that allows readers to pay a monthly fee for unlimited access to over 10,000 digital comics (see that article for all the good jokes - we're playing this one straight). In the past, readers could access this service through their browser on a PC or laptop, and access that same desktop version on an Android device (but not iOS, since it used Flash).

So what's different about this new beta? Well, ostensibly, its tailored for the display and interface of devices like the iPad and iPhone. Presumably, the upcoming Android version will do the same for Android phones and tablets, since, technically, the normal reader will "work" on an Android browser. Marvel is continuing to add and test features, so maybe they can this thing to be usable on a tablet. The old version was terribly clunky when this reporter last tried it, even on a broadband connection in a modern browser, but we'll give Marvel another chance since they're making an effort here.

The news comes in the form of a single sentence on an invite sent out to current Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited subscribers, inviting them to join the iOS beta, adding, "Coming soon - support for Android devices!" This is great news for people who actually want to seriously read these comics, because, let's face it, reading comics on a PC kind of sucks. You can't comfortably lay down with a PC, or take it with you to poop. You need these things on a tablet.

Marvel is the first to offer its comics in this subscription format, which has become hugely popular in other industries with services like Netflix and Hulu, or the various music subscription services that pop up every few months. It is certainly a great way to ease the pain of switching to digital for long-time collectors, who might have a library of more 10,000 physical comics sitting inaccessible in a garage somewhere (like this reporter).

It's only Marvel Comics, but let's be real for a moment; for most people, that's enough. And other companies will soon follow suit, if the history of other industries is any indication.

Thanks to New Comic Day artist and digital aficionado Jim Gallo, who alerted us to this news. We'll keep you updated. Onward into the digital age, bitches!

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 334 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited Coming to Android Too!

Postby Keb » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:35 pm

How much is a subscription? I would fuck with that if it was affordable.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 829 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:52 pm

$10 a month or $5 a month if you pay for the year.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:53 am

Not bad. Keep me posted when the app comes!

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:34 am

They are also running a promotion for 30% off with the code HOLIDAY12

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 318 posts

Postby GHERU » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:00 am

this seems wroth it
is it worth it?
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Regulator wrote:They are also running a promotion for 30% off with the code HOLIDAY12

I would get it now but since I can't use a droid device to read it, it would sit idly by and be a waste of money. I hate reading comics on a computer screen.

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Keb wrote:I would get it now but since I can't use a droid device to read it, it would sit idly by and be a waste of money. I hate reading comics on a computer screen.

Only if the Android version comes out later than August. :groucho:

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Keb wrote:I would get it now but since I can't use a droid device to read it, it would sit idly by and be a waste of money. I hate reading comics on a computer screen.

double post

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 829 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:19 pm

GHERU wrote:this seems wroth it
is it worth it?

In my experience the annoying part it is was written in Flash, which sucked as far as controls. They either don't respond, or don't respond right away when you try to turn a page.

That is on the browser on a PC. On a tablet, where the internet collection is usually a little bit slower, it compounds it.

That being said, they're gotten rid of Flash for the iOS beta, and claim Android support is coming. Android can use Flash, but it would be reasonable to believe that they understand Flash sucks and plan to make a version of the iOS beta that is tailored to Android devices (as otherwise, what is the point of "Android Support Coming Soon," as it already technically works in Android).

So in conclusion - I would say wait and see how it works. If the pages turn properly (which is really all you need to accomplish in a comic reading app), then it's totally worth it.

RU, you have an iPad right? I'd be interested in knowing how the beta performs on there.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand