Advertisement

Slott: "Please block Bleeding Cool on twitter"

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 52 posts

Re: Slott: "Please block Bleeding Cool on twitter"

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:11 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Just flicked through my copy of Cap #10 to see the letter itself. I remember it better now.

What a cunt. Whatever angle you look at it the article was clearly done for shits and giggles while blatantly using a kid suffering from leukemia as the punchline.

Lol not too often the c word is ok... This is one of them. His politician esq apology was also pathetic.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 124 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

BC exploiting kids with Leukemia for unique hits?

Postby habitual » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Hmmmm this seems shady:

On Sunday night, Bleeding Cool ran a post that was simply titled, “Um…” which was basically just a copy/paste of a nine year old kid’s letter that originally appeared in Captain America #10, which ran eight months ago. The letter reads as follows (I didn’t include the kid’s last name because, well, he’s a nine year old kid)…

Hi. My name is KJ. I am 9 years old and I love Marvel comics! I am in the hospital right now because I have leukemia. Marvel comics have helped pass the time on some very long days. My favorite character is Captain America and my favorite comic is the Defenders. Just as sure as Spidey beats Doc Ock, I am going to beat leukemia! Thank you very much.

-KJ,
Hasbro Childrens Hospital
Providence, RI

Rich Johnston, the guy who runs Bleeding Cool and who authored the post, added that it was an “unfortunate juxtaposition.” At first glance, many of you, or maybe even most of you, don’t see what the big deal is. Okay, so allow me to translate what is meant to be a very geeky, inside joke/reference. In his letter, KJ mentions that he’ll beat Leukemia, “just as sure as Spidey beats Dock Ock.” Well, it’s no secret that Amazing Spider-Man #700 comes out on Wednesday and in that issue, without giving away too much, Spidey doesn’t exactly beat Doc Ock. So the gist of this post is basically, “Hahaha. Bad comparison, kid!”

I will say that, despite what Rich Johnston says, I do think this feels pretty dirty. Johnston says it’s an “unfortunate juxtaposition”. Is it? KJ’s letter ran ten months – forty weeks – ago. It wasn’t as if Marvel was running this the same week that they were shipping Amazing Spider-Man 700. No, Bleeding Cool is the one that did that. They created this juxtaposition. Additionally, the post leaves me with the mental picture of a bunch of comic geeks standing around snickering as this kid – who’s fighting cancer – is talking about his favorite comic book characters.

So BC'er's is this true?

Hab

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 282 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: BC exploiting kids with Leukemia for unique hits?

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Sorry Hab, but a thread already exists about this:

the-news-stand/slott-please-block-bleeding-cool-twitter-t90839.html

Thank you Troy for the sig

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 124 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: BC exploiting kids with Leukemia for unique hits?

Postby habitual » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:10 pm

Whoops, didn't realize.

Lock and/or merge.

Hab

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:01 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Even odder is the fact that Rich is on record as kind of digging the status quo change in #700. I don't think he had an agenda, I just think he messed up.

I think we've all said some things that we regret afterwards. I'm sure Rich is sorry for what he said / wrote.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Arion wrote:
I think we've all said some things that we regret afterwards. I'm sure Rich is sorry for what he said / wrote.

I appreciate your optimism. Me? I think he's sitting back salivating at all the unique hits. :smt011

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Amoebas wrote:I appreciate your optimism. Me? I think he's sitting back salivating at all the unique hits. :smt011

You know me, I'm 100% optimism except when I'm drinking.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 324 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Amoebas wrote:I appreciate your optimism. Me? I think he's sitting back salivating at all the unique hits. :smt011

my thoughts exactly... he got the unique hits when he posted it and people got upset, now he's getting unique hits because he posted an "apology." This is like his ideal situation.. throw shit to the fan, let people get upset, post apology, have people get upset...

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 64 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:36 pm

e_galston wrote:

my thoughts exactly... he got the unique hits when he posted it and people got upset, now he's getting unique hits because he posted an "apology." This is like his ideal situation.. throw shit to the fan, let people get upset, post apology, have people get upset...[/qte]

Kinda like when he didn't understand people getting upset about that Frank Cho Hulk and She-Hulk picture a few years back.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:38 pm

The "unique hit" bonanza came directly from Ron Marz and Dan Slott drawing attention to the thread in the first place, don't kid yourselves otherwise.

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:The "unique hit" bonanza came directly from Ron Marz and Dan Slott drawing attention to the thread in the first place, don't kid yourselves otherwise.

How dare they bring attention to something they find vile just because you don't like them? Don't they know you don't like them?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Regulator wrote:
How dare they bring attention to something they find vile just because you don't like them? Don't they know you don't like them?

Wow is someone a little hysterical tonight! Waiting up for Santa Claus get you all worked up there? :lol:

Don't worry, Reg, I know you don't like me, I just don't give a shit because you aren't a very likable e-person yourself.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 251 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Regulator doesn't like anyone here Squid. The only time I've seen him post anything cordial towards anyone was in response to Nieto.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 533 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:33 pm

:lol: Regulator is nice to me.

Maybe he's insulting me and I just don't realize it. :(
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:35 pm

holtom2000 wrote:Lol not too often the c word is ok... This is one of them. His politician esq apology was also pathetic.

in australia it is :P

and in the UK i believe which is where rich is based right?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand