Tuesday, December 6, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "At least we're not Bleeding Cool!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Slott: "Please block Bleeding Cool on twitter"

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

holtom2000

dINGO

Postby holtom2000 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:11 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Just flicked through my copy of Cap #10 to see the letter itself. I remember it better now.

What a cunt. Whatever angle you look at it the article was clearly done for shits and giggles while blatantly using a kid suffering from leukemia as the punchline.

Lol not too often the c word is ok... This is one of them. His politician esq apology was also pathetic.

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:57 pm

Hmmmm this seems shady:

On Sunday night, Bleeding Cool ran a post that was simply titled, “Um…” which was basically just a copy/paste of a nine year old kid’s letter that originally appeared in Captain America #10, which ran eight months ago. The letter reads as follows (I didn’t include the kid’s last name because, well, he’s a nine year old kid)…

Hi. My name is KJ. I am 9 years old and I love Marvel comics! I am in the hospital right now because I have leukemia. Marvel comics have helped pass the time on some very long days. My favorite character is Captain America and my favorite comic is the Defenders. Just as sure as Spidey beats Doc Ock, I am going to beat leukemia! Thank you very much.

-KJ,
Hasbro Childrens Hospital
Providence, RI

Rich Johnston, the guy who runs Bleeding Cool and who authored the post, added that it was an “unfortunate juxtaposition.” At first glance, many of you, or maybe even most of you, don’t see what the big deal is. Okay, so allow me to translate what is meant to be a very geeky, inside joke/reference. In his letter, KJ mentions that he’ll beat Leukemia, “just as sure as Spidey beats Dock Ock.” Well, it’s no secret that Amazing Spider-Man #700 comes out on Wednesday and in that issue, without giving away too much, Spidey doesn’t exactly beat Doc Ock. So the gist of this post is basically, “Hahaha. Bad comparison, kid!”

I will say that, despite what Rich Johnston says, I do think this feels pretty dirty. Johnston says it’s an “unfortunate juxtaposition”. Is it? KJ’s letter ran ten months – forty weeks – ago. It wasn’t as if Marvel was running this the same week that they were shipping Amazing Spider-Man 700. No, Bleeding Cool is the one that did that. They created this juxtaposition. Additionally, the post leaves me with the mental picture of a bunch of comic geeks standing around snickering as this kid – who’s fighting cancer – is talking about his favorite comic book characters.

So BC'er's is this true?

Hab

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:08 pm

Sorry Hab, but a thread already exists about this:

the-news-stand/slott-please-block-bleeding-cool-twitter-t90839.html

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:10 pm

Whoops, didn't realize.

Lock and/or merge.

Hab

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:01 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Even odder is the fact that Rich is on record as kind of digging the status quo change in #700. I don't think he had an agenda, I just think he messed up.

I think we've all said some things that we regret afterwards. I'm sure Rich is sorry for what he said / wrote.

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Arion wrote:
I think we've all said some things that we regret afterwards. I'm sure Rich is sorry for what he said / wrote.

I appreciate your optimism. Me? I think he's sitting back salivating at all the unique hits. :smt011

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Amoebas wrote:I appreciate your optimism. Me? I think he's sitting back salivating at all the unique hits. :smt011

You know me, I'm 100% optimism except when I'm drinking.

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Amoebas wrote:I appreciate your optimism. Me? I think he's sitting back salivating at all the unique hits. :smt011

my thoughts exactly... he got the unique hits when he posted it and people got upset, now he's getting unique hits because he posted an "apology." This is like his ideal situation.. throw shit to the fan, let people get upset, post apology, have people get upset...

Lord Ice

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:36 pm

e_galston wrote:

my thoughts exactly... he got the unique hits when he posted it and people got upset, now he's getting unique hits because he posted an "apology." This is like his ideal situation.. throw shit to the fan, let people get upset, post apology, have people get upset...[/qte]

Kinda like when he didn't understand people getting upset about that Frank Cho Hulk and She-Hulk picture a few years back.

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:38 pm

The "unique hit" bonanza came directly from Ron Marz and Dan Slott drawing attention to the thread in the first place, don't kid yourselves otherwise.

Regulator

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Regulator » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:The "unique hit" bonanza came directly from Ron Marz and Dan Slott drawing attention to the thread in the first place, don't kid yourselves otherwise.

How dare they bring attention to something they find vile just because you don't like them? Don't they know you don't like them?

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Regulator wrote:
How dare they bring attention to something they find vile just because you don't like them? Don't they know you don't like them?

Wow is someone a little hysterical tonight! Waiting up for Santa Claus get you all worked up there? :lol:

Don't worry, Reg, I know you don't like me, I just don't give a shit because you aren't a very likable e-person yourself.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Regulator doesn't like anyone here Squid. The only time I've seen him post anything cordial towards anyone was in response to Nieto.

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:33 pm

:lol: Regulator is nice to me.

Maybe he's insulting me and I just don't realize it. :(

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:35 pm

holtom2000 wrote:Lol not too often the c word is ok... This is one of them. His politician esq apology was also pathetic.

in australia it is :P

and in the UK i believe which is where rich is based right?

leave a comment with facebook