Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 386 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:52 am

The Korvac Saga had a very underwhelming ending. I kinda felt cheated after all that work to get there.

Enjoying the final forth world omnibus though.

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 110 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:05 pm

Keb wrote:The Korvac Saga had a very underwhelming ending. I kinda felt cheated after all that work to get there.

Enjoying the final forth world omnibus though.

Fourth World must be a lot of fun.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:21 pm

It is.

The final book is kind of sad and depressing, especially in the final issues of the the three ongoing series (at times Mister Miracle feels phoned in). You can see how cancellation really affected Kirby's drive and enthusiasm. The final chapter "the Hunger Dogs" graphic novel also feels a little flat. Its funny because you can really see the emotion as it aligns to the back story. You can definitely tell that Kirby wanted to end his saga but wasn't allowed to which is why the end of the Hunger Dogs feels very unbalanced. If this was created in today's market, it would have been a completely different story.

I'm looking forward to more Kirby omnibuses. I think the next one is OMAC.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Keb wrote:It is.

The final book is kind of sad and depressing, especially in the final issues of the the three ongoing series (at times Mister Miracle feels phoned in). You can see how cancellation really affected Kirby's drive and enthusiasm. The final chapter "the Hunger Dogs" graphic novel also feels a little flat. Its funny because you can really see the emotion as it aligns to the back story. You can definitely tell that Kirby wanted to end his saga but wasn't allowed to which is why the end of the Hunger Dogs feels very unbalanced. If this was created in today's market, it would have been a completely different story.

I'm looking forward to more Kirby omnibuses. I think the next one is OMAC.

I've read the first issues of New Gods and that's it, I have to get these HCs someday...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1133 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:43 pm

I finished the first volume of Lobster Johnson last night. After reading both volumes I agree with Squid, these books are a lot of fun. I really wish there were a few more volumes too read.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:28 am

Arion wrote:
I've read the first issues of New Gods and that's it, I have to get these HCs someday...

There are much cheaper and readily available paperback versions that came out this year.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:01 am

I got Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland for Christmas, and am about to get stuck in to it.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Keb wrote:There are much cheaper and readily available paperback versions that came out this year.

Oh, that might be the best alternative for me.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Chew Vol. 6 Space Cakes - love this book. Chow Chu is such a shitball. Was definitely a step up from major league chew but I'm still kind of annoyed that there are a lot of unanswered questions in this series.

Prophet Vol. 1 Remission - what the fuck is this shit? I had no idea what was going on in chapter six and I hated that I had to go and do internet research to find out what this whole thing was about. A written into might have been nice. Art was fuck ugly too. Not really interested in reading any more of this. Thankfully the book was only $6.

Bought a bunch of books so I have more reading to do.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:28 am

Horrible!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I've only ever read one Star Wars comic and that was the Marvel Return of the Jedi #1 comic from the 80s. I might still have it. Star Wars comics look pretty terrible for the most part. I always see tons of them at the used book store.

Read Wolverine: Logan and Batman: Year One last night.

Batman: Year One felt like it should have been longer. I didn't feel like 4 issues was enough for Miller to really tell the tale of Batman and Jim Gordon. Loved the art but I think overall if I compare this to the other Miller/Mazzuchelli book, Daredevil: Born Again, I'm going with Daredevil. For some reason I really hated the colour reconstruction in the latest paperback edition.

Wolverine: Logan was pretty good. I like that it wasn't your typical Wolverine story while still remaining true to the foundations of Wolverine/Logan. It was a really good story and it kind of made sense in Wolverine's biography. I'm pretty sure it was or will be retconned in time. Still, some of the best art and I like the combination of Eduardo Risso and Dean White.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:17 am

Keb wrote:I've only ever read one Star Wars comic and that was the Marvel Return of the Jedi #1 comic from the 80s. I might still have it. Star Wars comics look pretty terrible for the most part. I always see tons of them at the used book store.

Read Wolverine: Logan and Batman: Year One last night.

Batman: Year One felt like it should have been longer. I didn't feel like 4 issues was enough for Miller to really tell the tale of Batman and Jim Gordon. Loved the art but I think overall if I compare this to the other Miller/Mazzuchelli book, Daredevil: Born Again, I'm going with Daredevil. For some reason I really hated the colour reconstruction in the latest paperback edition.

Wolverine: Logan was pretty good. I like that it wasn't your typical Wolverine story while still remaining true to the foundations of Wolverine/Logan. It was a really good story and it kind of made sense in Wolverine's biography. I'm pretty sure it was or will be retconned in time. Still, some of the best art and I like the combination of Eduardo Risso and Dean White.

The problem is that now 99% of writers go for 6 issue arcs that are, most of the times, irrelevant. I think Batman Year One is great because it's a short story, not a 12 part saga ....

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:23 am

I want the 12 part story arc. I love Miller's sociopath Batman.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:01 pm

Keb wrote:I want the 12 part story arc. I love Miller's sociopath Batman.

You can always read other Miller's books. He seems to have a special fondness for sociopaths...

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Keb wrote:I want the 12 part story arc. I love Miller's sociopath Batman.

I that's a shout out to All Star Batman and Robin, then I hope you get to pass the next hour on the toilet shiting out that crappy idea. If its not, ignore this :)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand