Advertisement

Ritten RUview: New Avengers (2013) #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 am

Well, that's one title off my pull list.

Source: New Avengers (2013) #1

New Avengers #1
Writer:  Jonathan Hickman
Penciler:  Stephen H. Epting
Publisher: Marvel Comics

So, here we are, a new era for Marvel – the NOW! Era – and with that comes a new volume of everything, including Avengers and New Avengers, both written by Jonathan Hickman.  Yippee!  I tried, I really did, and I read both of these comics with an open mind.  I figured that, if I could learn to like The Avengers, I could learn to like Hickman.

I was wrong.

Focusing on New Avengers, nothing sums up my feelings on the issue like fellow Outhouse writer, Punchy:

“This was probably the worst Marvel Now! book I have read so far, just the very worst Hickman clichés all in one package.”

There you go, if you want a comic that is not new reader friendly, doesn’t explain anything, presents the first part of an undefined mystery, and provides absolutely nothing that would inspire a reader to care about what happens next, New Avengers #1 is for you.

Here’s your synopsis: Something weird happens in Wakanda  (don’t worry, it’s not explained) then the  books ends on a dramatic cliffhanger with more questions than answers.  No, this isn’t a review of S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 (2, 3, 4, 5, or 6) or any of the other comics Hickman has written that follows this same formula.  Best part is it will only take 20 or so issues for the mystery to be clearly defined – not  for it to be solved – but for us to know what is going on.

I don’t know when it happened, and there are arguments as to who exactly is to blame for this, but it seems that there is a new group of mainstream writers that are more interested in writing THE Avengers / THE X-Men / THE InsertBookNameHere story / THE run that will be put on the same list as Claremont’s X-Men, Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing, Joe Kelly’s Deadpool , or Wolfman and Perez’s Teen Titans without understanding that you can't just decide to write a seminal run. You need to worry about writing a coherent comic book that people enjoy first and let history and the fans decide whether your run was a classic or a dud.  Try to write a comic book that will stand the test of time, not flame out after a year or so.

By halfway through the issue I was dreading turning the page to see what would (not) happen next.

Stephen H. Epting’s pencils are spot on.  The art in this issue created a nice flow that did its best to communicate what was happening in a clear and easy to follow manner, in contrast to the story.

There is one silver lining. I had already broken my rule on no new monthlies with Avengers Arena, at least now I can save money and drop two books: New Avengers and Avengers.

Written or Contributed by GHERU

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Ritten RUview: New Avengers (2013) #1

Postby Amoebas » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 pm

Feels like my review (only I gave the story a 0 - and that was being generous!).

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 188 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Would it help to smoke weed before reading this ? :groucho:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

pat
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby pat » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:33 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Would it help to smoke weed before reading this ? :groucho:

big yes to that. i enjoyed it quite a bit.
Frank, sometimes I really wish you didn't beat that cancer.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:00 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Would it help to smoke weed before reading this ? :groucho:

Didn't help one of my re-reads

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 158 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:45 pm

This was Hickman at his incomprehensible worst. And unlike SHIELD this wasn't fun at all.

Man what a waste.

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:50 pm

It was like the polar opposite of his Avengers. Almost made me wish for a Luke Cage cameo. :smt011

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand