Advertisement

Is There Still A Place For The Sitcom In Post-PC America?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 359 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:17 pm

The answer might surprise you – but only if you haven’t been paying attention

Source: None - there is no citation for this level of obscenity

In a word: No.

This past week there was a measured reaction to a teaser for the hit CBS television program, Big Bang Theory, and the commercial’s implication that women do not like comic books.  The internet, as always, took this implication as it was intended and became a hotbed of activism and rational thought, and this made me look at sitcoms as a whole and evaluate their place in current American culture; and what I discovered shocked and appalled me.

The commercial in question highlighted three females from the show - Penny, Bernadette, and Amy – as they walk into the local comic book store as the voiceover announcer proclaims that they are going “where no woman has gone before!” in his best Star Trek voice.  This was a poor attempt at humor, the joke being that females are never in a comic book store, an obvious exaggeration whose only goal could be to undermine gender equality.

Bravely, BleedingCool.com ran a story pointing out the offensive commercial and how dangerous the “joke” could be to the civilized world stating that (and I am paraphrasing here), even though 85% of all comic book readers are male, that still leaves the 15% majority who are women, and proposing a joke suggesting that women are not the target audience for the genre is an evil on par with Pol Pot. Should The Big Bang Theory, or even all sitcoms, take a Holiday in Cambodia?

The sitcom – short for situational comedy – has been a staple of American television since its inception, with programs such as Leave It To Beaver and Father Knows Best, both of which helped to set the model to which all sitcoms would adhere for the next 60 years.  Exaggerated humor based on broad generalizations fueled the plot points of almost every episode.  In other words, racism, sexism, ageism, and all other -isms have been entertaining us for generations.  Don’t believe me? In Leave It To Beaver, quite often the youngest child, Beaver, would behave in such a manner that would lead to consequences that were unfortunate for The Beave, his family, and his friends.  This ageist idea that all children are immature and make bad decisions only represents 99% of all minors, leaving the vast majority to suffer as the brunt of a joke.  Even the name of the show “Father Knows Best” reeks of ageism and sexism. It manages to insult, dismiss, and infantilize women in one fell swoop by lumping women into the same category as children within the family structure while questioning their capability and intelligence. Mothers and children both need to submit to father's infallible wisdom.

Appalling.

Jump forward to the modern age and all we have are sitcoms that exaggerate everyday occurrences to amuse and entertain the masses:

The Cosby Show:  This show had many instances where the children misbehaved, ignoring the large portion of children who never misbehave, implied that some African Americans really like jazz and other types of music, and perpetuated the idea that teenagers (boys and girls) can be overly emotional.

Married With Children:  A working class family whose parents don’t have much education and are doing what they can to get by, a blonde daughter who isn’t all that bright and is sexually active, a father who is overly protective to the point of violence, and a teenage son who wants to have sex with a girl were all components of this show.  This type of humor is totally unacceptable in a civilized society.

The Simpsons:  Here we find what is probably the most offensive geek caricature of all time – Comic Book Guy.  First, he's a comic book *guy*. Why not comic book *girl*? They read comics. Second, he’s fat and socially awkward. Whoever heard of such a comic book fan?

Happy Endings: Ok, this one is horrible. There is a blonde who is not all that bright, an African American male who is currently unemployed, and a gay jerk.  At first, you might think that this is a great set up for humor, and that is to our collective shame.  There is nothing funny about a dumb blonde; all it does is hurt all of us.  Just because we were/are/whatever political beliefs you have / in an economic downturn doesn’t mean that we need to see an unemployed African American in a humorous setting. What do you think that does to the mindset of all Americans who are forced to watch this tripe?  As for the homosexual, we all know that there are some people who may be jerks, but does that mean they deserve representation on our television?  Should these jerks be allowed to represent the sacred comedic cow of our generation – the gays?  What right does this show, these writers, that actor, the network, or even “Freedom Of Speech” have to depict a gay person as anything less than a perfect human being?  I weep for our children.

Two And A Half Men: This horrible show completely ignores the majority .5% of American Men who do not want to have sex with attractive people.  What kind of society are we living in when we can have an entire television show that tries to tell jokes based on the stereotype that men like having sex?  That’s like saying that most comic book readers are male and poking fun at their reactions to women in a comic book shop.  The terrorists have truly won.

The Office makes me think that there are some people who (SHOCK) do not like their jobs.  Parks And Recreation implies that there are some weird people who work in government.  Don’t Trust the B--- ...well, no, this one is fine.

As you can clearly see, sitcoms do more damage to the American way of life than any assault rifle ban ever could.  We, as a culture, as a society, as a nation who only thinks of the children need to stand up and say “NO!  No more exaggerated humor at the expense of the majority, minority, and anyone in between!” We need to show that there is no humor in anything that comes at someone else’s expense at all, no exceptions!  Even one joke about how teenage girls exaggerate situations leads us all down a slippery slope of debauchery, anarchy, and the disillusion of the masses.

I may not be a biblical scholar (but don't you dare joke that, being Jewish, I couldn't be), but I don’t remember Moses, Jesus, or even The Prophet Mohamed ever telling a joke, and neither should we.

Written or Contributed by GHERU

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

DMM
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Former Twenty Something
Formerly: DeathMetalMetrosexual

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: Is There Still A Place For The Sitcom In Post-PC America

Postby Herald » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:09 pm

"You shouldn't air sitcoms... 'cause sitcoms are BAD... mmm'kay?!"

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 130 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:11 pm

Only problem is BBT isn't a comedy, it's a tragedy.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 432 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 pm

obscenity

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1458 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:28 pm

As much as I do not like the Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men, I would gladly take 10 of them to any one "reality" show.

So, to answer the question "Is There Still A Place For The Sitcom In Post-PC America?" Yes, in fact, I would say that we need a better variety of sitcoms and other scripted television programs so that we don't have to ask these types of questions in the first place.
ImageImageImage

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1152 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Keb wrote:obscenity

I said that on skype. First we poop in sync, now this?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I hate it that you're all on skype all the time.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 432 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:58 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I said that on skype. First we poop in sync, now this?

I missed that. I was trying to write an essay.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 am

Victorian Squid wrote:I hate it that you're all on skype all the time.

Get. Skype.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:43 am

bkthomson wrote:
Get. Skype.

But doesn't that mean you could all see what I'm doing right now? :shock:

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 404 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:40 pm

That was actually a great episode of BBT. Oh and if you want a non PC sitcom watch Tim Allens "Last Man Standing" its awesome.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:43 pm

avengingtitan wrote:That was actually a great episode of BBT.

Yeah, I loved it when the ladies were arguing about Thor's hammer.
(And yeah, I'm gonna leave that statement without further comment... :P)

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 404 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:50 pm

Herald wrote:
Yeah, I loved it when the ladies were arguing about Thor's hammer.
(And yeah, I'm gonna leave that statement without further comment... :P)
And the guys standing outside wondering if they had fallen into an alternate dimension.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:48 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
But doesn't that mean you could all see what I'm doing right now? :shock:

It's not visual, it's just like an AIM chat.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum