Advertisement

New Captain America series, whaddya think?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

New Captain America series, whaddya think?

Postby Eli Katz » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:05 am

I just read the first two issues; I enjoyed the first but not the second.

I'm not crazy about Cap in a sci-fi version of The Road. I'm also not crazy about Romita Jr.'s art.

I won't drop the book, yet. But I'm hoping this current storyline shifts direction soon.

What are you thoughts on the book?

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: New Captain America series, whaddya think?

Postby Keb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:24 am

I like it. Has a 70s Kirby Cap feel to it. I think its the art and the story together that make it feel that way.

Not sure what to think of the kid but he's a fairly new character. I don't like the extreme cliffhanger endings either.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 8 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:27 am

I think mainstream comics writers, pushed to produce more and more content for Marvel especially, have been polluted by how much media they themselves consume, movies, television, video games, etc.

Matt Fraction is another good example, writing a Doctor Who rip-off to the point of writing Reed declaring everything has gone 'pear-shaped'.

In a way, it's nothing new. On the other hand, there's something to be said for, say, musicians who don't listen to every new hit that comes out while they are writing and recording their own music.

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 62 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:39 am

It's a change of pace from Brubaker's run, so that's refreshing. I do like the idea of Arnim Zola taking a whole alternate dimension and turning it into his own personal petri dish, and hope Remender does more with that angle. The art's ok.

One weird thing that threw me off, and its minor, but was when Ian called Cap "Papa". That was laying it on a bit thick.

DMM
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Former Twenty Something
Formerly: DeathMetalMetrosexual

Postby DMM » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 am

Victorian Squid wrote:I think mainstream comics writers, pushed to produce more and more content for Marvel especially, have been polluted by how much media they themselves consume, movies, television, video games, etc.

Matt Fraction is another good example, writing a Doctor Who rip-off to the point of writing Reed declaring everything has gone 'pear-shaped'.

I agree with this post. It's something I've often thought myself, lately, and I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this is true.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:52 am

MikeinLA wrote:It's a change of pace from Brubaker's run, so that's refreshing. I do like the idea of Arnim Zola taking a whole alternate dimension and turning it into his own personal petri dish, and hope Remender does more with that angle. The art's ok.

One weird thing that threw me off, and its minor, but was when Ian called Cap "Papa". That was laying it on a bit thick.

I think he is supposed to be cloned from Cap. Ian has a sister. He also grows super fast. He was a baby in issue 1 and now he's looks like a 5 year old.

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 62 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:12 am

Keb wrote:I think he is supposed to be cloned from Cap. Ian has a sister. He also grows super fast. He was a baby in issue 1 and now he's looks like a 5 year old.

I guess that's possible. I just found it weird the kid would call him "Papa". Unless there's some kind of weird memory implanting thing going on, everything Ian knows comes from Cap, and I don't think Cap would tell the kid to refer to him as that, even if he is acting as a surrogate father figure to him.

DMM
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Former Twenty Something
Formerly: DeathMetalMetrosexual

Postby DMM » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:16 am

MikeinLA wrote:
I guess that's possible. I just found it weird the kid would call him "Papa". Unless there's some kind of weird memory implanting thing going on, everything Ian knows comes from Cap, and I don't think Cap would tell the kid to refer to him as that, even if he is acting as a surrogate father figure to him.

Well, kids need parents, and since Cap is the only person he knows (only person not trying to kill/capture him he knows), and he's an older guy who is protecting him, he naturally identifies him as his Dad. Of course, I don't know where he learned the word "papa." So, I think that's your point--why is he calling him "Papa," of all things. I agree that I can't picture Cap telling him to call him that. Maybe it is a genetic memory or something strange like that.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I think mainstream comics writers, pushed to produce more and more content for Marvel especially, have been polluted by how much media they themselves consume, movies, television, video games, etc.

In a way, it's nothing new. On the other hand, there's something to be said for, say, musicians who don't listen to every new hit that comes out while they are writing and recording their own music.

I think they are aware, or if not the editors are aware of it. I find that Marvel wants to pull in more readers so they endorse stories that mimic or are similar to other popular narratives. Plus when they let those same creators pay homage to stories of the past, it also pulls in the old readers. I'm okay with it if its done well. Its not a bad technique but a lot of times the stories are garbage. I find that a lot of Marvel writers just reuse plots from the silver age and rehash the damn things to fit this more television styled storytelling method. That's what I have a problem with.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:25 pm

I like it, especially the childhood flashbacks. I think JR2 is perfect for a story involving bizarre alien landscapes.

The first story arc is ten issues:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2012 ... s/1714467/

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 371 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 pm

Its okay but its not Captain America to me. I'm just not interested in it.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am

Not a fan at all. I give Rick Remender credit for doing something drastically different than what Brubaker was doing but it just doesn't work for me. This might have worked for another character, but the setting doesn't really feel like a Cap book to me. And I find all the alien monsters to be sort of boring as antagonists. There's nothing interesting about them. They just feel like generic comic book bad guys.

Some of the story elements were pretty bad too, like Cap contemplating suicide. Very out of character. I don't see the guy who went through the worst war in history, been up against insurmountable odds over and over again and stood up to an Infinity Gauntlet wielding Thanos thinking of offing himself because he's stranded somewhere. Seemed like Remender wanted to get a little introspective there but he completely lost sight of the character he was writing and it just fell flat and seemed ridiculous.

I guess Remender is trying to go for a cosmic Lone Wolf & Cub kind of thing, but I feel like I already read this a couple years ago in Cable. And there's nothing about Ian that really makes me care about him other than he's a kid and you don't want to see bad stuff happen to kids. There's probably more to him, but I don't really care enough to keep reading to find out what it is. The book just doesn't have enough of a hook for me.

Also, I hate John Romita Jr's art. Everything always looks blocky and distorted to me. I find his art distracting.

When I read about what Remender wanted to do with this book, I had a feeling I wouldn't like it, but I gave it a shot hoping it would impress me. Unfortunately it's just not my thing and I couldn't find enough to like about the book in order to keep reading it. I think I ordered #3 but I decided not to order anything beyond that.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:53 am

Agree with MM on the art and boring monster mash, from what I've seen.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 857 posts

Postby HNutz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:00 am

Johnny Smith wrote:The first story arc is ten issues:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2012 ... s/1714467/

10 issues? Eek!

Between this and Batman's 11 issue opening arc...

That's a big commitment to ask from a new creative team and their spin on the character.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:05 am

They are really stringing things out, aren't they?

Look at Death Of The Family, which started strong out of the gate and got a lot of attention but has now been stretched thin by too many tie-ins and so much meandering.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand