Advertisement

DC Shocker: No Plans to Renumber Detective Comics for 900th Issue

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:52 pm

The comic publisher has opted not to engage in a marketing gimmick for the first time ever.

Source: CBR

DC has heavily relied on gimmicks to drive sales lately. Whether it's a line-wide reboot, die cut covers, gatefold covers, or a blast of variant covers, it was widely thought that DC would sell its own mother if it helped temporarily boosted sales.  That was until today, when DC announced that it would not be runumbering Detective Comics for its 900th issue.

DC's anniversary issues have been boons for the comic book company, with milestone comics for Action Comics, Batman, and Wonder Woman all selling like hotcakes in recent years.  It's not as if anniversary issues aren't still in demand, either.  Amazing Spider-Man #700 was the top-selling comic of December 2012 and one of the best-selling comics of last year.

DC executives defended their decision in a hallucatory interview with the Outhouse.  "Listen," said Bob Harras, the blue, three-eyed unicorn who acted as DC's editor-in chief.  "We'll do plenty of things to make money.  Blank covers, money laundering for terrorists, selling hard drugs to small children, none of that really bothers us.  But none of us were comfortable getting rid of our new numbering system just two years after it started.  We feel like that'd really rob the customers."

While renumberings are appearantly off the table, no word as to whether holofoil, the gimmick that marked the all time low for comic books as a medium, was still being considered.

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Re: DC Shocker: No Plans to Renumber Detective Comics for 90

Postby bkthomson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:49 pm

It would be nice, but not the end of the world. I'd assume some uber-Varient will get the #900 numbering.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 59 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:55 pm

bkthomson wrote:It would be nice, but not the end of the world. I'd assume some uber-Varient will get the #900 numbering.

I can understanding not wanting to undermine their relaunch, especially now that the shine is off and people have realised that at least 40 of the 52 are objectively poor comics but this seems like the best way forward. Maybe something like a 1:25 one be nice. I really hope they make whatever the issue is special though.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 861 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Huh, that's disappointing news. If they would have released Detective Comics #900, I might have purchased it.
ImageImageImage

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 203 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:07 pm

Nothing DC does anymore makes sense. :smt011

Consider this "par for the course" from them now.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:25 pm

I stopped caring about numbering a long time ago but I always kind of hoped I'd see Action and Detective reach #1000 one day.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 311 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

No Plans to Renumber Detective Comics for 900

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 am

This April, DC Comics will be adding a little more "What The --?" to its line. But the publisher isn't going for laughs as much as shocks with their new "WTF Certified" cover scheme. Announced earlier this month the April installments of all New 52 titles will feature gatefold covers whose hidden right halves will carry some surprising images.

The full concept of the scheme was revealed today via Diamond Comic Distributor's "Previews" magazine. In the latest issue of the comic shop catalog, DC revealed the full cover for "Detective Comics" #900, a special issue by John Layman and Jason Fabok that features an army of Manbats and the tagline "What Is The 900?"

"The concept of the number 900 is important to the story. It's something that I think will take people a little bit by surprise of what it is, but it is the theme of the issue. It's what Batman has to face. It's definitely part of the story in a big way."

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 188 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:44 pm

So they're doing a 900 issue but not. :smt017

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 338 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 pm

Zechs wrote:So they're doing a 900 issue but not. :smt017

I kinda like it - but they better do anymore 'number themed' plots.

If they ever go back to old numbering I expect it would be for 2018's Action #1000.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand