Advertisement

New Captain America series, whaddya think?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: New Captain America series, whaddya think?

Postby chap22 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:19 am

I really liked the first issue, and more than that, I loved what Remender's had to say about the character of Cap in the letters page of that issue. Then he turned around and dropped a second issue that lost a pretty good bit of that goodwill. I'm gonna stick with it, because I love Cap and I love Zola and I didn't hate issue 2 (just didn't particularly like it either), but the leash has shortened considerably.

Advertisement

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:29 am

I agree with much of what Melon and Chap are saying. Because I liked the first issue, I'll stick with the book for now.

But I hope that there aren't more wandering-in-the-dystopia issues.

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Postby MikeinLA » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:37 pm

I didn't like the scene with Cap staring at the bullet Sharon gave him either. It felt like Remender wanted it both ways: here's Cap contemplating killing himself (or perhaps Ian) if things get too tough, but he really isn't. Very manipulative.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1464 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Honestly, I really like the fact that Remender is trying to do something a little different with Cap in this series. That being said, as much as I really enjoyed the first issue of this run, the second issue really dropped off in terms of quality. I still enjoyed it but I wasn't as excited about it. I am hoping to give this series at least 1 story-arc before I make up my mind but 10 issues for the first arc seems a bit much.

Anyways, about the actual story itself, does anybody else suspect that Cap is still strapped to a table in Zola's lab? I don't know exactly what Zola is up too but I don't think that Cap's adventures in Zola's alternate reality are actually happening to him.
ImageImageImage

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:09 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:They are really stringing things out, aren't they?

Look at Death Of The Family, which started strong out of the gate and got a lot of attention but has now been stretched thin by too many tie-ins and so much meandering.

I've only read the Batman issues of DotF, and it's not lost anything for me.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 433 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:35 pm

Grayson wrote:Honestly, I really like the fact that Remender is trying to do something a little different with Cap in this series. That being said, as much as I really enjoyed the first issue of this run, the second issue really dropped off in terms of quality. I still enjoyed it but I wasn't as excited about it. I am hoping to give this series at least 1 story-arc before I make up my mind but 10 issues for the first arc seems a bit much.

Anyways, about the actual story itself, does anybody else suspect that Cap is still strapped to a table in Zola's lab? I don't know exactly what Zola is up too but I don't think that Cap's adventures in Zola's alternate reality are actually happening to him.

Interesting theory. It could be. Much of Zola's abilities of control (in the Kirby stuff) stem from being able to manipulate things mentally, so he could be manipulating everything on a dimensional level or he could just be manipulating Cap alone. I'm hoping Remender doesn't use the typical cop out for these kinds of stories. He's way too good of a writer for that.

I can definitely see where Brubaker fans would hate this story. Brubaker Cap is the only other Cap I've read besides this and Kirby but I was pretty bored by it. I got through Red Menace and didn't bother with anything else.

I like that its a long story. Granted, long stories can go bad (see: Superman For Tomorrow) but I think after the long stories in the Uncanny X-Force run by Remender, this will have its pay offs.

Its pretty obvious he's fanboying Kirby big time. Even that run started off with a long ass story arc that took a long time. Its very good though. I just finished it last week and I loved it.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1464 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Keb wrote:Interesting theory. It could be. Much of Zola's abilities of control (in the Kirby stuff) stem from being able to manipulate things mentally, so he could be manipulating everything on a dimensional level or he could just be manipulating Cap alone. I'm hoping Remender doesn't use the typical cop out for these kinds of stories. He's way too good of a writer for that.

I'm sure that Remender has some type of interesting twist in store but the fact that he kept mentioning Cap's headaches and the pain from the place where Zola injected him is still bothering him a "year" after he escaped, sorta throws up a red flag for me.

I can definitely see where Brubaker fans would hate this story. Brubaker Cap is the only other Cap I've read besides this and Kirby but I was pretty bored by it. I got through Red Menace and didn't bother with anything else.

I was a fan of Brubaker's run but so far I have enjoyed this story, in fact part of the reason why I like this story so far is because of how different it is from Brubaker's run. We always get to see Cap interacting with characters like Thanos, Loki, the Kree, and the Skrulls in comics like Avengers and event books but it's been a long time since we got to see him running solo in a sci-fi setting.

I like that its a long story. Granted, long stories can go bad (see: Superman For Tomorrow) but I think after the long stories in the Uncanny X-Force run by Remender, this will have its pay offs.

See, I would think that after finishing such an epic run as his Uncanny X-Force, Remender would want to slow down a little and take it easy for awhile.

Its pretty obvious he's fanboying Kirby big time. Even that run started off with a long ass story arc that took a long time. Its very good though. I just finished it last week and I loved it.

:smt013 Great, now I am going to have to go out and find the Cap Kirby Omnibus... :smt011 :P
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 433 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Grayson wrote:
I'm sure that Remender has some type of interesting twist in store but the fact that he kept mentioning Cap's headaches and the pain from the place where Zola injected him is still bothering him a "year" after he escaped, sorta throws up a red flag for me.

I was a fan of Brubaker's run but so far I have enjoyed this story, in fact part of the reason why I like this story so far is because of how different it is from Brubaker's run. We always get to see Cap interacting with characters like Thanos, Loki, the Kree, and the Skrulls in comics like Avengers and event books but it's been a long time since we got to see him running solo in a sci-fi setting.

See, I would think that after finishing such an epic run as his Uncanny X-Force, Remender would want to slow down a little and take it easy for awhile.

:smt013 Great, now I am going to have to go out and find the Cap Kirby Omnibus... :smt011 :P

I thought maybe it was a virus or something, like the eZola virus. Your theory is more sound when I think about it.

I guess he likes writing long arcs. I never read the Dark Angel Saga monthly (I read it all in one sitting) but the story was good. Plus I'm enjoying the monthly speculation. Its been a long time since I've done this.

You don't HAVE to. ;) Actually, you really don't. The omnibus is pretty expensive but its available on Amazon so you probably won't have to track it down. You could also buy the paperbacks which while out of print aren't hard to find and are usually cheaper. I found mine at a used book store and paid around $10 a book. They won't be as rare as Jack Kirby Black Panther or Eternals books.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:09 pm

RIP to Jack Kirby who truly did a lot for comics.

Drcharles
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Drcharles » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:31 pm

This series lost a lot when Brubaker left, all the good elements have gone. Cap is at his best when hes teamed up with Nick Fury,SHIELD, Sharon Carter and the Falcon and fighting against the Red Skull, Hydra, and Nazis...............

I Dropped this book on issue # 2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oh and a pic of ben affleck playing a blind matt is enough to make me not take you seriously.....

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I think mainstream comics writers, pushed to produce more and more content for Marvel especially, have been polluted by how much media they themselves consume, movies, television, video games, etc.

Matt Fraction is another good example, writing a Doctor Who rip-off to the point of writing Reed declaring everything has gone 'pear-shaped'.

In a way, it's nothing new. On the other hand, there's something to be said for, say, musicians who don't listen to every new hit that comes out while they are writing and recording their own music.

This is not something new. Remember when Black Knight got a lightsaber?

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 357 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:58 pm

It's ok.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:08 pm

I dunno I'm torn becuase I like the art and I do like the idea of a cap book that's not trying to be Brubaker becuase honestly how are you gonna live up to that run? But having said that I dunno there's just not much to this story I just find it kinda bland thus far

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:07 pm

covalesky wrote:
This is not something new. Remember when Black Knight got a lightsaber?

Thank god, no!

Zero wrote:
I've only read the Batman issues of DotF, and it's not lost anything for me.

Really? Me too and I read #16 today, and felt that most definitely not to be true.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Thank god, no!

Really? Me too and I read #16 today, and felt that most definitely not to be true.

WTH was in today's issue you couldn't grasp about the plot? all you need to know is that Joker hates all the sidekicks and wants them gone (which he's made pretty clear in Batman 14 and 15), and he showed Bats video that they're all individually getting worked over while Bats is in Arkham fucking around with skin-mask. i mean really, that's the whle story in a nutshell.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand