Advertisement

Brian Wood Launches All-Female X-Men Series

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 152 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Re: Brian Wood Launches All-Female X-Men Series

Postby oogy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm probably going to buy this because of Brian Wood.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Advertisement

Keb

Happy Pony Day!

Liked in: 413 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:21 pm

oogy wrote:I'm probably going to buy this because of Brian Wood.

You like getting Wood? :groucho:

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 650 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:01 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Are Armor or Pixie dead or spoken for?

neither are.. but we also don't know if this is the final roster. and Wood has written both Armor and Pixie so it wouldn't surprise me if they appear in the book some how..

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 432 posts

Postby Draco x » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:09 pm

Does anyone remember that cancelled X-Women game from the 90s which pretty much had the concept of focusing on the female members of the team strictly? This book just reminded me of it for some reason.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:52 pm

If my budget opens up (which is highly unlikely), I may give this a go. Of course, that'd depend on if each issue isn't 3-5 minutes worth of content per issue (see Brian Wood's first X-Men arc)

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Keb wrote:You like getting Wood? :groucho:

I'm sure he does... every morning.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:20 pm

e_galston wrote:
yep i'm all for more x-books.. as long as each book has a distinct reason for being i have no problem with there being more books

I'm kind of split on this.

I mean, if they all turn out to be good comics, then I think it's great. Who doesn't want more good comics? But I find that rarely turns out to be the case. I find that when Marvel or DC really starts stretching a franchise thin, it shows. You usually end up with one or two books that carry a concept forward and does interesting things and then end up with the other books being sort of boring inconsequential stuff.

I like a lot of what I've read by Brian Wood over the years but in such a big franchise, especially with Brian Michael Bendis molding the direction, I'm skeptical that Wood will have much leeway to really do his own thing. I'm worried that it ends up being like the last X-Men series where it's just a lot of meandering filler while the "real" story is going on in the more prominent books.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:15 pm

MoneyMelon wrote:I like a lot of what I've read by Brian Wood over the years but in such a big franchise, especially with Brian Michael Bendis molding the direction, I'm skeptical that Wood will have much leeway to really do his own thing. I'm worried that it ends up being like the last X-Men series where it's just a lot of meandering filler while the "real" story is going on in the more prominent books.

I think it depends on what you're looking for, I suppose. A lot of people loved the character work that Carey was able to do while not on the "main" title. Granted, that book got dragged into X-crossovers a lot, but Marvel seems to be less likely to segregate the X-books into their own crossovers and tie them into the line wide events now, so everyone would be in the same boat.
I think Wood is ideal for a secondary x-book. He's so good at characterization.
My only worry is Storm. I hope that the offices know where her story will be told and know how to coordinate that cause right now I don't know where I'd go to get the mainline of her deal.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
I think it depends on what you're looking for, I suppose. A lot of people loved the character work that Carey was able to do while not on the "main" title. Granted, that book got dragged into X-crossovers a lot, but Marvel seems to be less likely to segregate the X-books into their own crossovers and tie them into the line wide events now, so everyone would be in the same boat.
I think Wood is ideal for a secondary x-book. He's so good at characterization.
My only worry is Storm. I hope that the offices know where her story will be told and know how to coordinate that cause right now I don't know where I'd go to get the mainline of her deal.

I'd say the "main" story for Storm will be in Uncanny X-Force... Yes Storm is in X-Men, but i don't think a lot of the major stuff will happen with her in the book. The only character of the roster where i see "major" stuff happening in this book is Jubilee and maybe Rachel, everyone else is in a book where they will have a major focus, Rogue in Uncanny Avengers, Storm/Psylocke in Uncanny X-Force and Kitty in All New and Wolverine and the X-Men.

Agent Panic

Happy Pony Day!

Title: Stranger Danger

Postby Agent Panic » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:46 am

Is that the real Storm rocking a mohawk, or is she that alternate reality Storm that I have not read about?
Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is?
It's fear.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:27 am

Agent Panic wrote:Is that the real Storm rocking a mohawk, or is she that alternate reality Storm that I have not read about?

its the real Storm.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:39 am

MoneyMelon wrote:
I'm kind of split on this.

I mean, if they all turn out to be good comics, then I think it's great. Who doesn't want more good comics? But I find that rarely turns out to be the case. I find that when Marvel or DC really starts stretching a franchise thin, it shows. You usually end up with one or two books that carry a concept forward and does interesting things and then end up with the other books being sort of boring inconsequential stuff.

I like a lot of what I've read by Brian Wood over the years but in such a big franchise, especially with Brian Michael Bendis molding the direction, I'm skeptical that Wood will have much leeway to really do his own thing. I'm worried that it ends up being like the last X-Men series where it's just a lot of meandering filler while the "real" story is going on in the more prominent books.

You make a very valid point. Which is way I'm not buying this new title.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 pm

double post
Last edited by mrorangesoda on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:32 pm

e_galston wrote:
I'd say the "main" story for Storm will be in Uncanny X-Force... Yes Storm is in X-Men, but i don't think a lot of the major stuff will happen with her in the book. The only character of the roster where i see "major" stuff happening in this book is Jubilee and maybe Rachel, everyone else is in a book where they will have a major focus, Rogue in Uncanny Avengers, Storm/Psylocke in Uncanny X-Force and Kitty in All New and Wolverine and the X-Men.

That all makes sense and it makes this team choice seem even lamer. Who needs a Jubilee/Rachel book?

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand