Advertisement

Is It Sad How Little We Talk About DC Nowadays?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 271 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Re: Is It Sad How Little We Talk About DC Nowadays?

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:08 am

Keb wrote:That is worse than your love of Gucci Mane music. Bad Vic Mackey! Bad!

GL was the last DC book I was regularly interested. I read it in trades. Then that whole Blackest Knight thing happened and I was just like "Maaaaaan I waited all this time for this garbage?" and I never read a DC book ever again.

Except the Kirby Omnibuses. In fact, those are the only things DC is putting out that are worth a damn.

I'm just reading Gangsta Lantern because of how hilariously bad the stereotypes are.

Advertisement

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 865 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:22 am

DC still makes the comic books?

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 141 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:33 am

I read more DC than any other publisher, and like it. I've been cutting back on books from all publishers due to budget and time.

I don't don't start threads about the books mostly due to all of the negativity towards DC around here. If I want to talk about how much I like the books, I talk to my friends about them and don't have to worry about anyone derailing the thread into the typical OH DC bashing.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:37 am

We talk about two comics a week here, max.

Usually, one of them is X-related.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:39 am

BlueMole wrote:We talk about two comics a week here, max.

Usually, one of them is X-related.

This is true.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:55 am

I just think that's down to Marvel Now! being controversial/awesome than DC being especially terrible at the moment, although the future does look grim for them, what with the creative mess with Constantine and the other new books.

Although it is surprising how little discussion there has been about the current Batman, Green Lantern and Animal Man/Swamp Thing crossovers.

Perhaps DC should have done what Marvel are doing with their relaunches, rather than do all of them in 1 crazy month, but space them out, some of the most exciting Marvel Now! comics aren't even out yet.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:09 am

I don't know about that Punchy. DC's release method built up hype and encouraged readers to try most/all of their offerings. A lot of readers bought all 52 new books. The issue is that most of them weren't that good, which led to diminishing returns when the second, third, fourth etc. waves of new titles are released.

Marvel's release method is to space out new releases, but aggressively double-ship books, thus forcing retailers to make decisions on what books to stock more of before the first issue of a comic hits the stand. Retailers aggressively ordered on the first issues to get alternate covers and then quickly pushed their stock down back to pre-Marvel NOW! levels. Marvel didn't let the market set the sales level for their books.

Most of DC's books have seen 30%-40% declines over a one year period. All of the Marvel NOW! books have seen 40-50% declines in one month.

Honestly, what DC needed to do was not put second-rate talent on 45 of their series. Had they done that instead of having Tom DeFalco write 3 of their books, it'd be doing a little better.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 507 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:14 am

This site has been incredibly low on talking about any comic from any publisher for a long while now.

In the most recent 100 posts...

DC is talked about 14 times
Marvel have 7 threads
Indies have 4
Comics in general have 6

So, 31 comics discussions out of 100 (31%).

Face it, we're not so much a comics board as much as we are a "cats make me happy" or "I like big butts" board.

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:22 am

Amoebas wrote:This site has been incredibly low on talking about any comic from any publisher for a long while now.

In the most recent 100 posts...

DC is talked about 14 times
Marvel have 7 threads
Indies have 4
Comics in general have 6

So, 31 comics discussions out of 100 (31%).

Face it, we're not so much a comics board as much as we are a "cats make me happy" or "I like big butts" board.

Fact

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 189 posts

Postby dairydead » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:09 am

draco brings up DC in almost every post he makes. Same with Herald
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 507 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:46 am

dairydead wrote:draco brings up DC in almost every post he makes. Same with Herald

I didn't know "Hey everyone - shut up and look at me! Look at me! While I do the exact same thing in thread after thread. Pay no attention to anyone else - just look at me!" constituted the "talk" aspect this thread was speaking about. :lol:

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 141 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 am

Amoebas wrote:I didn't know "Hey everyone - shut up and look at me! Look at me! While I do the exact same thing in thread after thread. Pay no attention to anyone else - just look at me!" constituted the "talk" aspect this thread was speaking about. :lol:

:smt023

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:12 am

I enjoy reading DC books. I feel like I'm in a minority and that no matter what I say, Herald will say I'm wrong for it. What's the point in posting about DC if I'll be treated like I kick puppies?

Agent Panic
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Stranger Danger

Postby Agent Panic » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 am

Wonder Woman has been stellar. It's the only DC I pick up regularly.

I liked how Aquaman started, but eventually lost interest.

I may pick up a random DC book here or there.. Batgirl, or maybe Birds of Prey, or a Batman book.. but I'm definitely team Marvel and Image and indie these days.
Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is?
It's fear.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 45 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:19 am

Chesscub wrote:I enjoy reading DC books. I feel like I'm in a minority and that no matter what I say, Herald will say I'm wrong for it. What's the point in posting about DC if I'll be treated like I kick puppies?

Yep, they pretty much Herald drains any talk of DC, and that I'm not wrong about.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand