Advertisement

Review Group Week 159: RUNAWAYS #7

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:01 pm

Punchy wrote:You're just getting old, you're like the comic book version of Clint in Gran Torino.

Hey I am reading a lot of MAnga now... I don't remember the book ever looking like this, did the guy ape the penciller he was filling in before? Chase looks straight up like a thirty year old woman.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:05 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey I am reading a lot of MAnga now... I don't remember the book ever looking like this, did the guy ape the penciller he was filling in before? Chase looks straight up like a thirty year old woman.

I haven't got the issue yet, but Miyazawa has always had this manga style, he used it on Spider-Man loves Mary Jane too.

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:41 pm

thefourthman wrote:Hey I am reading a lot of MAnga now... I don't remember the book ever looking like this, did the guy ape the penciller he was filling in before? Chase looks straight up like a thirty year old woman.

Miyazawa is great. His SMLMJ work was fantastic.

I won't have the issue for a few days, but I'm guessing if you're having problems with how the characters are drawn it's probably because you've gotten used to Ramos.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:04 pm

I didn't expect it to look like Ramos, but I didn't expect Chase to shrink and become a woman either, so who knows, I will take a look at my back issues and compare before I review.

Postby ****** » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:27 pm

thefourthman wrote:I didn't expect it to look like Ramos, but I didn't expect Chase to shrink and become a woman either, so who knows, I will take a look at my back issues and compare before I review.

The only preview I could find did have him looking a bit fem, much more so than he did in Miyazawa's previous Runaways issues.

I still think it's closer to what Alphona was doing, but it is a more rounded/traditional manga approach. Mostly I think he just did the hair a bit too flat and didn't give him enough of a nose. I'm judging that based on 2 panels though.

I got used to Ramos on the book, but I never liked how big he drew Chase or how crazy ridiculous the square jaw was.

Grassy
Flying Mongoose

Postby Grassy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:27 pm

amlah6 wrote:Miyazawa is great. His SMLMJ work was fantastic.

I won't have the issue for a few days, but I'm guessing if you're having problems with how the characters are drawn it's probably because you've gotten used to Ramos.

That.

Chubbles
Twenty-Something

Postby Chubbles » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:19 pm

I like Ramos a lot. His style is definitely different from most others and for some reason I've always been a fan.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:38 pm

Chubbles wrote:I like Ramos a lot. His style is definitely different from most others and for some reason I've always been a fan.

I love Ramos, but some of his recent work has been crap, X-Men for example was a mess.

As for the book at hand I went and looked at Vol. 1 11 & 12 and Vol. 2 7 & 8, while the 1st volume issues he did were more mangafied than Alphona, 7&8 were more so than those and this one more so than the middle ones. I think between the artist reverting back to his more familiar style with great fierceness every outing and the marked difference between him and Ramos, it made it more drastic.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:45 pm

Review is written will link and quote when it goes live.

Score
Story 5
Art 5
Overall 5

ugh... I want BKV back. :(

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:59 am

I liked this issue a lot, it was the best since Vol. 3 began, it's a pity that just as Moore is getting into a groove that he has to leave.

Review coming by the end of the weekend.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 pm

Punchy wrote:I liked this issue a lot, it was the best since Vol. 3 began, it's a pity that just as Moore is getting into a groove that he has to leave.

Review coming by the end of the weekend.

:smt011 You like that stupid Blue Beetle book as well don't you :smt011
either that or it was so much like Scott Pilgrim that you forgot it wasn't.

It was average at best.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:08 pm

thefourthman wrote::smt011 You like that stupid Blue Beetle book as well don't you :smt011
either that or it was so much like Scott Pilgrim that you forgot it wasn't.

It was average at best.

I don't like Jaime's Blue Beetle book, I dropped it at #7, but apparently after that was when it started getting really good, so what do I know?

I just thought this was a solid issue of Runaways, off-beat superhero stories with good character moments and funny lines. It was the best issue of the book I've read since BKV left.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:16 pm

Punchy wrote:I don't like Jaime's Blue Beetle book, I dropped it at #7, but apparently after that was when it started getting really good, so what do I know?

I just thought this was a solid issue of Runaways, off-beat superhero stories with good character moments and funny lines. It was the best issue of the book I've read since BKV left.

I had such high hopes after the first issue of this volume, they have been crushed like your spirit will be one day, young one.

McKegan
Zombie Guard

Postby McKegan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:39 pm

Got to agree with Punchy. This was the best issue of the run so far. I'll get a review in tommorw.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:41 pm

McKegan wrote:Got to agree with Punchy. This was the best issue of the run so far. I'll get a review in tommorw.

Agreeing with Punchy is just a way to disagree with me... I'm on to your little games.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand