Tuesday, May 24, 2016 • Morning Edition • "Thoughtful analysis of important cultural issues."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!


New Captain America series, whaddya think?

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:00 pm

And c'mon people, ace bandages have been used to heal everything in the Marvel Universe from a sprain to, well, death probably.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 pm

I would be a little creeped out if Zola was chilling in my chest though. Like what if I'm peeing and he's looking at my junk talking to me and shit? And if I'm smoking some good weed and he's hogging all the smoke going into my lungs? I'd be like fuck outta here with that shit!
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Grayson, Amoebas and Victorian Squid: Thank you for providing examples that prove my point. There is no way that Cap could use his shield to heat water in it.

So, up to this point, either Remender made a big mistake or Cap is using a different shield or the laws of physics in Dimension Z differ from ours.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:21 pm

Arion wrote:Grayson, Amoebas and Victorian Squid: Thank you for providing examples that prove my point. There is no way that Cap could use his shield to heat water in it.

So, up to this point, either Remender made a big mistake or Cap is using a different shield or the laws of physics in Dimension Z differ from ours.

How would YOU feel if Zola was in your chest staring at your junk while you were asleep!?
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Keb wrote:I would be a little creeped out if Zola was chilling in my chest though. Like what if I'm peeing and he's looking at my junk talking to me and shit? And if I'm smoking some good weed and he's hogging all the smoke going into my lungs? I'd be like fuck outta here with that shit!


:lol: Imagine what would happen if you had a lady at your place and Zola decided that he wanted to peek out and see what was going on! :shock:

Arion wrote:So, up to this point, either Remender made a big mistake or Cap is using a different shield or the laws of physics in Dimension Z differ from ours.


The Physics Comic! :shock:
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:49 pm

Cap's shield has been the focus of a lot of physics discussions over the years. While it's too obvious to point out that we're dealing with comics and make-believe, the claims made about the shield's alloy over the years have their roots in real life physical science are fun to contemplate. For instance, if the vibranium alloy does in fact neutralize all kinetic energy--and as we've already been over, that means quelling the vibrations between molecules themselves--does the shield exist in or create a 0 Kelvin state? Should it in fact be too cold for most people to touch?
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:10 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:Cap's shield has been the focus of a lot of physics discussions over the years. While it's too obvious to point out that we're dealing with comics and make-believe, the claims made about the shield's alloy over the years have their roots in real life physical science are fun to contemplate. For instance, if the vibranium alloy does in fact neutralize all kinetic energy--and as we've already been over, that means quelling the vibrations between molecules themselves--does the shield exist in or create a 0 Kelvin state? Should it in fact be too cold for most people to touch?


Yes, the shield is supposed to have certain special properties. It's not simply a piece of metal that we can get in the store. It's fun to imagine that it should be cold to the touch. I like that.

Keb wrote:How would YOU feel if Zola was in your chest staring at your junk while you were asleep!?


I've had others looking at my junk before.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Victorian Squid wrote: For instance, if the vibranium alloy does in fact neutralize all kinetic energy--and as we've already been over, that means quelling the vibrations between molecules themselves--does the shield exist in or create a 0 Kelvin state? Should it in fact be too cold for most people to touch?


No, because vibranium does not "neutralize" kinetic energy, it absorbs it.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Grayson wrote:
:lol: Imagine what would happen if you had a lady at your place and Zola decided that he wanted to peek out and see what was going on! :shock:



The Physics Comic! :shock:

Unintentional tag teaming!
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Vibranium and kinetic energy is like Arion and sexual energy. It absorbs it and gets hard(er).

2phar?
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Amoebas wrote:
No, because vibranium does not "neutralize" kinetic energy, it absorbs it.


Well, I didn't want to bore everyone rehashing old discussions and do more typing than necessary, but by absorbing kinetic energy that would include all atoms colliding with it--creating a 0 Kelvin state against the shield itself, resulting in ice.

Absorbtion in this case being a form of neutralization unless the shield can then release that energy somehow, if you want to play semantics. Because if the shield merely absorbed kinetic energy it would all still be in there. When fictional vibranium is said to "deaden" vibrations, that's neutralization by definition, no matter what else a comic book writer might call it!

(You might search under "vibranium" and "neutralizes" to see that this has been common parlance all along, too! I didn't use the word "neutralize" by accident or mistakenly.)
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:43 pm

And now, with that said, I'm out for the evening. You'll all just have to pick petty semantics arguments about dudes in pajamas with each other without me, I'm afraid.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:05 pm

I didn't realize Cap's shield was such a hot button issue.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Well, I didn't want to bore everyone rehashing old discussions and do more typing than necessary, but by absorbing kinetic energy that would include all atoms colliding with it--creating a 0 Kelvin state against the shield itself, resulting in ice.

Absorbtion in this case being a form of neutralization unless the shield can then release that energy somehow, if you want to play semantics. Because if the shield merely absorbed kinetic energy it would all still be in there. When fictional vibranium is said to "deaden" vibrations, that's neutralization by definition, no matter what else a comic book writer might call it!

(You might search under "vibranium" and "neutralizes" to see that this has been common parlance all along, too! I didn't use the word "neutralize" by accident or mistakenly.)

I wiki'd vibranium and...
The Wakandan isotope possesses the ability to absorb all vibrations in the vicinity as well as kinetic energy directed at it.[9] The energy absorbed is stored within the bonds between the molecules that make up the substance. As a result, the more energy vibranium absorbs the tougher it becomes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibranium

It's not really neutralization when the metal actually uses the energy, it doesn't just make it disappear. Does it?

MikeinLA

Rorshach Test Subject

Postby MikeinLA » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:41 pm

A semi-serious answer as to why Cap's shield can boil water:

The shield was broken by the Serpent during the Fear Itself event. Afterwards, it was repaired by the dwarves of Asgard, who infused the mystic Uru metal into it. This allows Cap to subconsciously will the shield to conduct heat when its beneficial for him.


Where's my No Prize?


As for the latest issue, it was ok. I'd rather see Captain America actually doing something to find Zemo and get home instead of sitting around fishing and painting murals.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: achilles, Kravis, MSNbot Media, StrongStyleFiction and 140 guests