Friday, July 20, 2018 • Evening Edition • "Sometimes true. Always authentic."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Gun Ads

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Beast In Show

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Beast In Show » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Rockman wrote:I"m glad he's canadian

You and me both. :-D

Beast In Show

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby Beast In Show » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
Gun sales spiked after Obama's election as well, though he did nothing regarding gun control for his first term and had no inclination to do so.

Sales spiked for the same reason, gun enthusiasts perceived a threat to their ability to possess firearms, whether or not it's warranted is irrelevant. My point is scare tactics drive up gun sales, so why continue?

Pretty soon I'll buy a gun myself out of spite. :-D

LobsterJ

phrase IV

Postby LobsterJ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:07 am

Ntikrst wrote:
Sales spiked for the same reason, gun enthusiasts perceived a threat to their ability to possess firearms, whether or not it's warranted is irrelevant. My point is scare tactics drive up gun sales, so why continue?

Because half the time its not "liberals" using those scare tactics, its the NRA and their buddies in the gun industry because they know they can get their idiot clients to buy guns like rabid madmen by mentioning the idea of "gun control" even when the President has no inclination to enact any. If a liberal wins office, gun sales go up. Its just the nature of the game.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:41 pm

2011 murders in the US from FBI crime stats:

1,694 by knives.
726 by hands or feet.
496 with clubs or hammers.
323 with rifles of any type.

Clearly we need to ban hand and feet. And knives. We can always cut our food with spoons. Assuming we can learn how to use them with our lips after banning all our hands and feet.

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:19 pm

Do you have a link for that Achilles?

I only ask because that seems like a low number of total murders for the entire country.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Rockman wrote:Do you have a link for that Achilles?

I only ask because that seems like a low number of total murders for the entire country.

Well, here you go. This is to the FBI stats. It's worth noting that this is also from a Facebook graphic, (there's a slight typo there). Polifact looked at it and rated it as "true".

Turns out that even handgun murders are vastly lower than most other causes of death in the US, and vastly lower than say gun murders in Mexico, which has some of the strictest gun laws in the world.

Also note the trend.

Another thing to note is that areas like Chicago or DC, which have some of the toughest anti-gun laws in the country, have some of the highest gun homicide rates.

muddyglass

dr. strangelove

Postby muddyglass » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Ntikrst wrote:

after all the stories of crazed gunmen on the rampage posted by jubilee, it would be foolish not to buy an ar-15 to protect oneself. i might stock up on grenades too while i'm at the local gun store.

achilles

Rain Partier

Postby achilles » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:59 pm

muddyglass wrote:
after all the stories of crazed gunmen on the rampage posted by jubilee, it would be foolish not to buy an ar-15 to protect oneself. i might stock up on grenades too while i'm at the local gun store.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wiki-Snake

cheese

Postby Wiki-Snake » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:00 pm

If what liberals says about guns are true, then every headline should read: Gun Refuses To Fire, Saves Man's Life.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:26 pm

achilles wrote:2011 murders in the US from FBI crime stats:

1,694 by knives.
726 by hands or feet.
496 with clubs or hammers.
323 with rifles of any type.

Clearly we need to ban hand and feet. And knives. We can always cut our food with spoons. Assuming we can learn how to use them with our lips after banning all our hands and feet.

Incredibly stupid argument. All you're proving there is how much harder it is to kill someone without guns, around 10,000 deaths a year through firearm usage.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:28 pm

muddyglass wrote:

You're twice as likely to die if you purchase a firearm through a gun related death. Of course seeing some of the asinine arguments posted here recently I've a tendency to think that's natural selection.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21037648

Absolutely heartbreaking.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:31 pm

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Most Americans reacted positively to a series of proposals outlined by President Barack Obama to reduce gun violence, but only two-in-five believe the plan will ultimately be successful, a new Angus Reid Public Opinion poll has found.

In the online survey of a representative national sample of 1,002 American adults, at least nine-in-ten Americans agree with Obama’s proposals to make sure dangerous people are prohibited from having guns (93%), create serious punishments for gun trafficking (92%) and require criminal background checks for all gun sales (91%).

At least seven-in-ten respondents also support launching a national responsible gun ownership campaign (76%), conducting research on the causes and prevention of gun violence, including links between video games, media images, and violence (74%) and reinstating and strengthening the ban on assault weapons (70%). Three-in-five Americans (62%) agree with the notion of limiting ammunition magazines to 10 rounds.

Despite the high level of support for the key policies announced by President Obama, only 41 per cent of Americans believe the plan will be effective in reducing gun violence in America. Republicans (70%) and Independents (51%) think the proposals will ultimately be ineffective.

While four -in-five respondents (85%) continue to state that the Second Amendment gives individuals the right to keep and bear arms, there has been a noticeable fluctuation in the other questions tracked by Angus Reid Public Opinion on this topic.

The level of dissatisfaction with existing federal regulations on gun control has increased by four points since December to 52 per cent, and for the first time, three-in-five Americans (60%, +4) call for stricter firearms laws, including 43 per cent of gun owners.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:44 pm

At least four people -- three in North Carolina and one in Indiana -- were injured after weapons went off at gun shows Saturday, officials said, at a time when there's been renewed discussion about private gun sales at such shows.
Dixie Gun and Knife Show attendees bolted, with at least one woman wiping out in the frenetic scene, after gunfire rang out around 1 p.m., as seen on video captured by CNN affiliate WRAL.
Police later explained that a a 36-year-old man from Wilmington, North Carolina, was unfastening the case of his 12-gauge shotgun on a table near the show entrance when it accidentally discharged. The man planned to sell the shotgun at the show.
The bird shot ended up injuring three people. One was a sheriff's deputy, who suffered a slight injury to his hand and was treated and released at a local hospital before returning immediately to work, said Joel Keith, chief of police of the North Carolina State Fair.
A 54-year-old woman from Benson, North Carolina, was being treated a wound to her right torso at a local hospital, and a 50-year-old man from Durham, North Carolina, was treated for an injured left hand, Keith told reporters.
"I want to emphasize that this is an accident," Keith said.
That said, Wake County sheriff's investigators and the local prosecutor will determine whether to file charges against the gun's owner, authorities said.
Sheriff Donnie Harrison said he was unsure whether it was legal to bring a loaded gun on state fairgrounds. However, when the state fair is held in October, it is illegal to bring a loaded gun to the fairground because of the large crowds, authorities said.
"This is state property. That's something we're looking into," Harrison told reporters. "It's early right now."
The shooting prompted police to ban any private gun sales -- in which visitors bring their firearms to sell at the gun show -- for the remainder of the two-day show, which concludes Sunday, Keith said. He added there wouldn't be any private gun sales on fairgrounds for the indefinite future.
The gun show was closed after the shooting and will reopen Sunday. At that point, show vendors can continue to sell firearms, which are already secured inside the show, Keith said.
"If we thought if it was a problem or a hazard, we wouldn't have this show," Keith said about private gun sales at the show. "I'm sure there isn't anybody who hates this more than the guy who owned this weapon."
Meanwhile, in Indianapolis, a man walking out of the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Show shot himself in the hand as he was loading his .45-caliber semi-automatic firearm, Indiana State Police said in a statement.
The 54-year-old Indianapolis man was sent to Wishard Hospital for treatment after being "slightly" injured.
"The investigation determined the shooting to be accidental, and no charges will be filed," police said.

leave a comment with facebook