Advertisement

Michael Berryman Returns in Nova First Look from Marvel

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 163 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 am

The actor makes a late career comeback reprising his role as a high school principle in Marvel's new Nova ongoing.

Source: Press Release

Cynics and people with good taste have been dreading Jeph Loeb's reboot of the Nova franchise since it was first announced at Comic Con last year. For one thing, the series puts Sam Alexander in the role of Nova instead of Richard Rider, a change first instituted in the widely despised Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon. For another, the book is written by Jeph Loeb, who was a popular writer up until ten years ago when he was allegedly abducted by aliens and involved in a scientific experiment to infuse his DNA with the DNA of the worst writers in the history of the planet, such as Chuck Austen, Dan Didio, and Rob Liefeld, in order to create a new breed of terrible writer, because aliens are jerks. After months of threatening readers with the books' release, it's finally hitting stores on January 20th, and Marvel has sent out a preview.

The preview is unremarkable except for the appearance of Michael Berryman, star of classic films like The Hills Have Eyes and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Berryman, who is disfigured due to hypohidrotic ectodermal dysplasia, a disease whose latin name translates roughly to "still better looking than a typical fanboy", also starred in the 1985 Motley Crue video Smokin' in the Boy's Room, playing a high school principle who disapproved of the band's desire to consume cigarettes in the school bathroom. Smokin', long considered a behavior that indicates coolness and sophistication, was despised by Berryman's character in the video, who represented uncool authority.

Almost thirty years later, the world has grown a giant vagina, leading smoking to be frowned upon due to its propensity to cause death. As a result, Berryman's character can now be viewed as a sort of hero in his iconic role, tragically pulled into a men's room mirror alternate universe by four long-haired ruffians for the crime of standing up for the health and safety of his students. In the new Nova series, Berryman is rescued from the mirror by the new Nova and resumes his role as a heroic administrator, thwarting the efforts of a school bully, distinguished by his seven foot tall frame and badass sleeveless hoodie, to steal a skateboard from Sam Alexander. Finally, Berryman's character will be recognized as the authoritarian hero he truly is.

Or at least we hope that's what happens, because it would be more interesting than anything Loeb has done since the first arc of Superman/Batman in 2003.

"When we look at these previews, we have to come up with something interesting and funny to say about them," said Jude Terror, the reporter writing this article. "Sometimes we hit it out of the park. Sometimes it's a swing and a miss. We'll let you decide which this is."

"Isn't that guy also Sloth from The Goonies?" we asked.

"No," responded Terror. "That's a guy who looks exactly like this guy, but they're not the same person. It's kind of like how people confuse me with Brad Pitt all the time."

Here's Marvel's press release:

The Year’s Most Exciting New Super Hero Enters Marvel NOW! In NOVA #1!

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at NOVA #1 from the chart-topping, award-winning creative team of Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness! You met Sam Alexander, the all-new Nova, in the pages of last year’s blockbuster hit Avengers VS X-Men—but what is his secret origin? How is he connected to the Guardians of the Galaxy? And just why is Sam the only one worthy to carry on the legacy of the Nova Corps? These answers reveal shocking secrets about the Marvel Universe and help set the stage for the biggest comic book event of the year!

Each issue of Nova includes a code for a free digital copy on the Marvel Comics app (for iPhone®, iPad®, iPad Touch® & Android devices) and in the Marvel Digital Comics Shop. Additionally, each issue of Nova features special augmented reality content available exclusive through the Marvel AR app – including cover recaps, behind the scenes features and more that add value to your reading experience at no additional cost.

This February, Jeph Loeb & Ed McGuinness bring the Marvel Universe face to face with Sam Alexander in Nova #1!

For more on Marvel NOW!, please visit now.marvel.com and join the conversation on Twitter using #MarvelNOW.

NOVA #1 (DEC120602)
Written by JEPH LOEB
Art & Cover by ED MCGUINNESS
FOC—1/28/13, On-Sale- 2/20/13

UPDATE: Some news outlets, such as MTV Geek, are suggesting that the character depicted in Nova is not Michael Berryman, but actually the principal from the Back to the Future movies. The  Outhouse is disappointed that a respectable media site would stoop so low as to jump to such unfounded conclusions based on nothing more than a passing resemblance in some preview pages.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 402 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Re: Michael Berryman Returns in Nova First Look from Marvel

Postby sdsichero » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:02 am

LOLtron wrote:Jeph Loeb, who was a popular writer up until ten years ago when he was allegedly abducted by aliens and involved in a scientific experiment to infuse his DNA with the DNA of the worst writers in the history of the planet, such as Chuck Austin

Austen

LOLtron wrote:Almost thirty years later, the world has grown a giant vagina, leading smoking to be frowned upon due to its propensity to cause death.

And stank up comics!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 190 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 am

Wrong. McFly
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 540 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Image

Wrong. McFly

I don't see it.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:42 am

Put down the heroin.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Updated the article.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 128 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Image

Wrong. McFly

Thats exactly who I thought of when I saw the art.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 227 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 pm

Or could be the Vulture getting ready to somehow body-swap or graft himself to Nova.

All the cool villains are doing that now :P

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:53 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Updated the article.

I scooped MTV Geek!!! That and a kick to the nuts will get me a kick to the nuts.

- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:54 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:
I scooped MTV Geek!!! That and a kick to the nuts will get me a kick to the nuts.

Actually I saw their article this morning before I wrote mine. :P

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts

Postby GHERU » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:02 pm

wasn't point one before the cartoon?
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:07 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Actually I saw their article this morning before I wrote mine. :P

And yet you still projected your own desires into the article, for shame. Just because you want it to be the guy from the Motley Crue video doesn't make it so.

- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm

GHERU wrote:wasn't point one before the cartoon?

Eh... technically, but he was created by Jeph Loeb and Ultimate Spider-Man is Loeb's baby. While USM didn't debut until April 2012, it had to be in production back when Point One came out, and I'm sure the purpose of introducing him in there was to get the character into the comics universe so it could match up with the awful show. IMO YMMV.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand