Advertisement

Review: Green Lantern Emerald Dawn

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby LOLtron » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:20 am

Cover
Green Lantern Emerald Dawn re-imagines the origin story of the Green Lantern Hal Jordan.

Hal Jordan is a test pilot for Ferris Aircraft. One day, while working on a simulator he is snatched be a mysterious green light and flown to the desert. There he meets an alien that gives him a powerful green ring and dies before Hal can come to terms with whats happening.

From an arrogant and irresponsible grounded test pilot to a galactic trainee cop, the journey of Hal Jordan is a whirlwind filled with aliens, new found responsibilities and introspection.

How is it?

Before we get into the book I should tell you that this is one of those books that remind me of my childhood. I actually bought this book twice, in 92/93 still on my allowance and again in 2005/2006. This book reminds me of Summer vacations. Not that it has anything to do with the story, but I first read it in in the Summer of 92/93 while lying down on the sand by the Atlantic (yes it got filled with sand, but I was a kid back then). I've read it more than a couple of times since.

Call to OA
Nowadays its common to hear voices against the use of Hal Jordan as Earth's Green Lantern, but 20 or so years ago (God, as it been that long?!)  he was a very popular character. In a time of near perfect heroes he was the imperfect one. He had family issues, work problems even his long time on-again off-again girlfriend tried to kill him many times. Hal was a Green Lantern, not because he was fearless, but because he could overcome his fear, and that made him unique.

It starts with Hal Jordan in his flight simulator when suddenly it takes off flying, heading into the desert. Upon arrival he meets Abin Sur, a dying alien, that gives him his power ring. Abin Sur explains what are the Green Lanterns and why he was chosen. Shortly after Abin Sur dies and Hal is handed the most powerful weapon in the Universe.

From here on Gerald Jones, Jim Owsley and Keith Giffen weave a story where Hal Jordan will have learn how to be a Green Lantern and take responsibility for his past and present actions. In a way this is a coming of age story. Hal never looses his trademark cockiness, but he does learn to accept new found responsibilities and handle the consequences that come with being a Green Lantern.

In the beginning of Emerald Dawn Hal is driving while drunk and crashes is car against a sign near the road. As a result one of his friends is paralyzed. At first he doesn't take responsibility for that, but eventually Hal grows a conscience and tries to atone for that by giving himself up to the police. This is a symbolic moment that marks a turning point in Hal's life. He's finally growing up.

Emerald Dawn is full of memorable moments. Among the best of them are: Hal getting the ring for the first time; Hal taking flight for the first time, Kilowog's training; the final battle against Legion and Hal turning himself in and going to jail.

Kilowog is the man

This book has great art. At the time it was top notch, but even 20 years later the art still manages to keep a high quality. The coloring on the other hand would benefit from an update. Panel layouts are not very imaginative by today's standards, but are not very static either. They change it a bit here and there. You will find few, but glorious, full pages panels.

Verdict?

To me this is the definitive origin story for Hal Jordan. It is also one of my favorite Green Lantern stories of all time. I admit to be bias towards this book, because it made a big impression on me when I was younger.

If you are a fan of the Green Lantern mythos and  want to read more about Hal Jordan or just want to understand why he was such a popular character, then this book is a must read. If you're only interested in the current generation of Green Lanterns, then this won't add anything to that.

Publisher: DC Comics
Year: 1991
Pages: 144
Authors: Keith Giffen, Gerard Jones, Jim Owsley, M.D. Bright, Romeo Tanghal
ISBN0930289889

Follow Reading Graphic Novels on Facebook and Twitter.

Originally Published at Reading Graphic Novels http://readinggraphicnovels.blogspot.com/2013/01/review-green-lantern-emerald-dawn.html

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 2 posts

Re: Review: Green Lantern Emerald Dawn

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Nice art 8)
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:35 pm

Great art from Mark D. Bright!

Agreed. A great origin story of my boy, Hal Jordan. 8)

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 0 post

Postby covalesky » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 am

GOSD wrote:
Agreed. A great origin story of my boy, Hal Jordan. 8)

:-D :-D

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum