Advertisement

So.... Will Iron Man 3 break the curse?

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 602 posts
Formerly: AMS

Re: So.... Will Iron Man 3 break the curse?

Postby Rockman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:55 pm

X-men 3 didn't quite get a positive rating from RT, but it did get a positive fan ranking from the viewers at RT and made a ton of money, so curse broken in 2006 apparently.

Advertisement

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:59 pm

The funny thing is Chris

I didn't say anything about Rotten tomatoes in this thread before you tried to shoehorn me into your argument with VS

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:01 pm

And if we're going by popular opinion as an unbiased meter of whether or not a hypothetical curse is broken

Blade Trinity got a whopping 70% approval rating from audiences over at RT

Who knew that the Blade movie with HHH beat the curse?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 132 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Chris wrote:
When you try and make sweeping statements about curses based on personal opinion, there's no intellectual battle. There's just you looking like a retard who compares one of the best reviewed and received movies of the year to Batman & Robin.... :lol:

Just to be clear, I never compared the two movies. I'm not even sure which Batman movie that was, really (Batman & Robin). They tend to all run together into one long, bad movie. That DKR added about 3 hours to.

I don't think we have to exclude the animated films when we're talking about Batman movies, so I would put Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker at the top of my list, and there would be several more animated films and even fan-made films before I would get to any of the Hollywood movies.

Rockman's illustrating the point I was implying about RT scores. And people who liked it are much more likely to flock to places like IMDB to give positives for movies like this, than people who didn't like it are to go and rate it, that's been proven. (Not to mention all the people like BO who just didn't see it because they knew it wasn't for them!) Those scores just prove it has a strong, mouthy fanbase, no one's arguing otherwise.

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:22 am

Black_Orchid wrote:I can't comment on whether or not DKR is equal or better than the previous two. I'm sure it's great, haven't watched it, don't plan on it. Not my kid of movie.

The curse of the three isn't that the 3rd one is horrible, just that it doesn't do as well and kind of stomps on the vibe of the franchise. One exception is in the case of a sucktastic sequel, it lowers the bar for any movies that follow. See Tremors 3 for example.

This is how you view "the curse of the three". But the original poster said, "In the history of comic book movies, there has never been a time in a series of films, where the third movie didn't just absolutely suck..." Everyone can have their opinion but the box office numbers, aggregate critical reviews, and various user polls indicate the majority of the audience did not think The Dark Knight Rises "just absolutely suck[ed]".

Wisdom000 started the topic. Has he provided any metric that supports his view besides his opinion? It is fair to criticize any metric that Chris or I offer but keep in mind the "the other side" stands alone with personal opinion. If anything his supporter, Rockman, provided evidence that the curse may have been broken by X-Men: The Last Stand or Men in Black III.

Iron Man 3 could have a 100% RT score (critics and general audience) and gross $3 billion worldwide and Wisdom000 could still say, if he did not like IM3, there is a curse.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Rockman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:19 am

Well the point of the thread seems to me to ask "Will Iron Man 3 be as good as the first 2"

To that end I think it will be a good film, the trailer looks amazing, they have a lot of momentum going forward.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 am

Rockman wrote:Well the point of the thread seems to me to ask "Will Iron Man 3 be as good as the first 2"

To that end I think it will be a good film, the trailer looks amazing, they have a lot of momentum going forward.

It doesn't even have to be as good as the first two. It just doesn't have to "absolutely suck" or "stink up the whole franchise" according to the OP.

In the history of comic book movies, there has never been a time in a series of films, where the third movie didn't just absolutely suck.

No matter how the first two were, the third one always comes along and just stinks up the whole franchise.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 357 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:51 am

Nolan's not overrated. :roll:

Stop it.

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm

GOSD wrote:Nolan's not overrated. :roll:

Stop it.

To say he's overrated is to imply he was ever worth rating. :-D

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 357 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 pm

Lord Ice wrote:
To say he's overrated is to imply he was ever worth rating. :-D

He made Batman cool again and you know it. :x

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:53 pm

GOSD wrote:
He made Batman cool again and you know it. :x

I have to agree here. Nolan, hate it or love it, redeemed the bat movie franchise after the two Shmuacher films fiasco in the 90's and even outdid Tim Burton's own 2 as well. Plus he gave us a better Joker in Heath Ledger, a more interesting Two-Face in Aaron Eckhart, a more appealing Catwoman in Anne Hathaway after that Halle Berry movie crapfest and made Bane who was fucked up so badly in that Batman & Robin film into a credible threat. Nolan's batfilms had their flaws but they made Batman a viable movie franchise once more.

Wisdom000
rubber spoon

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Wisdom000 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Meh... I stand by everything I said
Anti-Organized Religion, Pro-Choice, Pro-Gun Rights with limits, Pro-Legalization of Drugs-Prostitution-Assisted Suicide, Pro-Gay Marriage,

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 103 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:24 pm

Chris wrote:
I doubt he had any sort of specific long-term plan. Maybe a really basic outline of what he wanted to accomplish, but Ledger's death probably changed everything.

I wonder what would have been if he had not passed away

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:36 pm

holtom2000 wrote:I wonder what would have been if he had not passed away

I genuinely believe that if Ledger hadn't died, the Joker would have been in the Dark Knight Rises as the main villain instead of Bane-although it would have been interesting to see how both characters would have reacted to one another if they were in the same film.

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:01 pm

I don't think he would have been the main villain again. That'd be redundant.

It's difficult to say without knowing any idea of what his original plan was.. the whole League of Shadows/Talia/Bane thing might have been Plan B once Heath died, although it did work out really well in terms of wrapping up the franchise in bringing it back to where it started with the League of Shadows and Ra's. So maybe that was partly planned, who knows?

Assuming the League of Shadows connection was planned from the start.. I would imagine Joker would have a similar role to Scarecrow in DKR, as the "Judge", which would kind of harken back to the comics as well. Probably in a bigger capacity within the story than Scarecrow, of course.. but I think he'd have played that role.

DKR is basically Joker's ideal world, so he wouldn't really have to do much. He lives for chaos, and all Gotham was during the occupation was chaos. Everywhere. He could've just kicked back and enjoyed it, as the Judge.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum