Advertisement

Is It Any Good? (OFFICIAL mega THREAD)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Is It Any Good? (OFFICIAL mega THREAD)

Postby Keb » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:09 am

Schlemmer wrote:It's automatic that you'll like it if you're already a Kirby fan

The bad thing was there were so few issues

I remember enjoying the John Byrne re-imagining, but it's been a while since I've read it

Sweet. The omnibus edition is coming out in paperback at some point this year so I will have to read that.

Advertisement

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 39 posts

Postby misac » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:07 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Brian Wood writes Scarlet Spider? Did he take over recently? Because the first few issues of that book were terrible and I had to forget its existence.

No, he's on Conan.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 61 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Schlemmer wrote:What if you're a fan of the old Marvel Conan, would you still like it?

I've never read any of the old Marvel Conan, so I can't say.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

TS Punk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 272 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby TS Punk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:16 pm

I liked Scarlet Spider at first whenever Ryan Stegman was handling the artwork. When he left I lost interest and when they did the Minimum Carnage story I stopped reading it.

pat
cheese

Liked in: 0 post

Postby pat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:47 pm

Tattooed Jesus wrote:I liked Scarlet Spider at first whenever Ryan Stegman was handling the artwork. When he left I lost interest and when they did the Minimum Carnage story I stopped reading it.

Exact same situation for me.

UnionJack
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby UnionJack » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 am

On the fence at the moment regarding the Spider-Family of books. See what I make of Superior & if I'm not wowed will drop them all. The premise for the series doesn't thrill me so far.

Conan however is brilliant. Whether or not you've read the Marvel series, as I have, it's a great book. DH have done a great job with Conan since they took the character on.

GiveWarAChance
penile prisoner

Liked in: 603 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Postby GiveWarAChance » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:58 am

I was wondering if Rachel Rising is any good? I'm not even sure if anyone is reading it around here.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 1 post
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:06 am

How is Wood's ULTIMATE X-MEN? I stopped caring about the Ultimate Universe once Millar finished his run on The Ultimates 2, but I like Brian Wood a lot and feel that some alternate universe tales could be interesting. Is it worth starting with Nick Spenser's run?

For that matter, how is the Miles Morales ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN? I love Bendis' Daredevil, but have never really cared for any of his other work.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:How is Wood's ULTIMATE X-MEN? I stopped caring about the Ultimate Universe once Millar finished his run on The Ultimates 2, but I like Brian Wood a lot and feel that some alternate universe tales could be interesting. Is it worth starting with Nick Spenser's run?

For that matter, how is the Miles Morales ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN? I love Bendis' Daredevil, but have never really cared for any of his other work.

I've read the first two trades and really liked them
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:28 am

GHERU wrote:I've read the first two trades and really liked them

Of which?

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:37 am

sorry,
spider-man
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:38 am

GHERU wrote:sorry,
spider-man

That's good to hear. I avoided it a bit because 1) Ultimate Spider-man volume 1 was Bendis indulging in his worst habits, and 2) I wasn't sure if a 12 year-old Spider-man would be relatable or interesting. Do you find either of those to be problems?

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby GHERU » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:40 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
That's good to hear. I avoided it a bit because 1) Ultimate Spider-man volume 1 was Bendis indulging in his worst habits, and 2) I wasn't sure if a 12 year-old Spider-man would be relatable or interesting. Do you find either of those to be problems?

USM vol 1 was over 10 years ago and you can really see how much Bendis has improved throughout the series
as to the 12 year old, he's as relatible as any teen-age hero, IMO
RUviews

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 40 posts

Postby PDH » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:49 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:How is Wood's ULTIMATE X-MEN? I stopped caring about the Ultimate Universe once Millar finished his run on The Ultimates 2, but I like Brian Wood a lot and feel that some alternate universe tales could be interesting. Is it worth starting with Nick Spenser's run?

The Ultimate Universe has been really, really good lately. They've been running a big story where America just gets taken to the absolute brink of destruction. It's the best it's been in years.

And Bendis' Spider-Man just goes from strength to strength, as well. Miles Morales is a really cool kid and it's hard not to root for him.

Basically, they're doing stories that you couldn't do in the 616 for various reasons (like killing off Peter Parker for real). That seems to be the new mission statement. I think it's probably a good direction at this point. After all, what else could you do with it after Loeb's, er, efforts?

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:04 pm

^ interesting. I got burnt out on Ultimate U long before ultimatum as it felt like a rehash of 616 but it sounds like it is evolved into something good.

How are these titles:

Wolverine & the X-men
Swamp Thing (nu52)
Animal Man (nu52)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand