Advertisement

Review: The Goon Volume 0 Rough Stuff

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:58 am

Cover
The Goon and Frankie welcome you to the Milking-It-For-All-It's-Worth-Edition of this earlier work by Eric Powell.

This book collects the first three issues of The Goon (before Dark Horse), some comic strips, sketches and unpublished drafts of some of the early stories.

Learn all about The Goon's origin and his first encounters with the Zombie mob and the Zombie Priest, Fishy Pete and others.

How is it?

Short version

Really good. Read it.

Not so short version

Eric Powell is the mind behind The Goon. This is his love child and it shows. From the introductions (plural) to the extras of the book the emotional investment done is palpable. Rough Stuff collects the early work Powell did for The Goon. For some reason, right up front, Powell makes sure to lower the expectation for this book stating that its sub-par of his more recent work on The Goon.

To be fair this is my first Goon book so I don't have a Goon benchmark setup, but judging from this one Powell was overzealous. While this book is a bit too short to be a great collection it still manages to be really good at its job. To entertain. In that light this is an good book. I couldn't help but to end each chapter with a smile on my face.

Welcome

For those unfamiliar with The Goon, he and his pall Frankie are mob enforcers. Actually they're the only ones that stand up to the Zombie Mob and prevent the Zombie Priest's rule over the city. They work for Labrazio. A ruthless bad man with a reputation that puts fear into everyone’s heart. However The Goon is the only one that’s had any type of contact with contact with Labrazio for the last 20 years. His relationship with Labrazio is the foundation for his origin story.

I loved the dynamic between The Goon and Frankie. One is somewhat calm, big and powerful, the other is violent, little, psychopath and very vocal. They complement each other very well. Powell complemented these traits with a fantastic visual representation. The Goon and Frankie are drawn is very different styles highlighting the differences between them.

Art wise this is a good book. Powell says "Its called Rough Stuff for a reason", however I won't go as far as Powell went with his self criticism. This is not bad work be any means. While it won't win any art awards it is very enjoyable. This was Powell's earlier work, he hadn't yet establish is award winning style, but it already show high potential. Mister Powell might not love this earlier work, but I sure enjoyed watching it.

You heard the man Lazlo!
Getting that demon out

Plot and art aside, this book is a humorous one. Its present in every page and every panel. Not all of it is brilliant, but there are many good moments. I particularly love the Vampire joke (not going to spoil it).

Verdict?

The Goon gained a new follower with this Rough Stuff. Its a funny book that is guaranteed to put you in a good mood. Highly Recommended.

On a side note I want to thank my e-buddy Tim for this awesome gift. I liked it very much.

Publisher:  Dark Horse
Year: 2010
Pages: 104
Authors: Eric Powell
ISBN1595824685

Follow Reading Graphic Novels on Facebook and Twitter.

Originally Published at Reading Graphic Novels http://readinggraphicnovels.blogspot.com/2013/01/review-goon-volume-0-rough-stuff.html

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 226 posts

Re: Review: The Goon Volume 0 Rough Stuff

Postby GHERU » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 am

I keep trying to like Powell's stuff
and I keep failing
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:48 am

This was my first and I liked it very much.

Its a light and funny book. Good to improve my mood.

CountD
Undead Member

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Senior Citizen
Formerly: t00lverine

Postby CountD » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 am

I could never get into the Goon, although I admit it has it's share of funny moments.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum